Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so first off i have to say WOW, and kudos to you! i have gathered that you are a chick who works on your own rig(way cool!), but sorry for the next question if its been answered already -i skimmed over your build, but im trying to keep my kids entertained and quiet so mommy can do some studying. do you do all your own work for the most part -i noticed you did your CVs and "rebuilt" your antenna... but like do you own your own tools and do most everything yourself!? if so thats freakin awesom(and yes mainly just cause your a woman -not to be sexist) before i met the mrs, she did her own oil and things like that, and helped her dad rebuild the motor in her truck(85 extra cab). i think its awesome to see chicks working and taking an interest in their own vehicles.

BTW i like what you have done to your runner
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Of course I own my own tools! A few tool boxes and shelves and a couple drawers of them plus a box I carry for uh-ohs on the road. I still need to get around to learning to weld and my nemesis, that darned cut-off. Thanks for the compliment on the truck!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

And then my 5 seater (5 point kid seat in middle of the back seat) became a 4 seater....

I'm really going to miss the Radian 65, it was a darned good kid seat. I got a Graco Highback Turbo Booster this time. No more lap belt use. Kind of a bummer I won't be able to cram a couple of trail builders on either side of the seat like before. We meet in a central place and drive or mildly off-road in. Even with the Radian as narrow as it is 2 adults with the kid turns the old thing into an amusing clown car.

And because I can...

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Hab what is it that makes your runner look so good? Needs to be in the calender. Hope mine looks as good as yours some day.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, thanks!....
Pretty sure it's the dirt and pinstripes-
and back at you and yours- and I can't wait to see what you do with the bumper.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM

wow i must say im very impressed. it must be nice when going into an auto parts store and knowing your not going to get screwed over. -i would say shop, but i see that you have done just about everything short of building the truck from scratch and at this point i would not put that past you either lol. and just for clarification even if you were a guy, you have done a lot of stuff that a lot of "us" would have just said screw it im taking it to a shop. kudos for you!

ps i love the shop help you have too, i hope one day my shop helpers will be as much of a help.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

It's how I learn stuff, 'specially if I mess it up the first attempt. Shop helpers are the greatest!

I've got side markers. My husband got them off a Saab (nobody under 16 at pick n pulls so we don't get to go together). Now I just gotta find time between Science Fair and Granting Dreams and homework and whatever I do when I'm not doing kid stuff. Could be a month before I get to this one...pics of the new to me gadgets later.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

ill be interested in the side markers, ive been wanting to do that for some time, ill try and snag some LED ones if i can from a benz or bmw but i wanta see what you do and how you install them.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hab what is it that makes your runner look so good? Needs to be in the calender. Hope mine looks as good as yours some day.
I keep asking her to submit pics for the competition... lol...
if you want a shot at getting in jason submit some pics for next year's contest... watch for the announcement around the end of July.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
It's how I learn stuff, 'specially if I mess it up the first attempt. Shop helpers are the greatest!

I've got side markers. My husband got them off a Saab (nobody under 16 at pick n pulls so we don't get to go together). Now I just gotta find time between Science Fair and Granting Dreams and homework and whatever I do when I'm not doing kid stuff. Could be a month before I get to this one...pics of the new to me gadgets later.
There's a science fair project in there hab... the stoker could do a project on light projection and visual arcs... explaining why the marker lights on boats and airplanes have the arc they do and why the side markers on euro spec cars and trucks are a good idea.
And maybe ask the smelly question why only heavy transport trucks are required to have them here when safety would be increased if all vehicles had them...
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

I know I know, pictures, but apparently my 'round tuits are more square.

The kiddo's got an interesting science project. I like the experimenting part. The writing stuff, not so much. Thank goodness I get to help with the first and he gets to do the latter. I'll talk more about that when it's all said and done maybe.

For the turn signals I'll be using information I got from Ron Helmuth's experience (Thanks!). I'll take lots of pics and write stuff up. I've not done anything like this so it should be interesting to all of us.
I was checking out where I'll put them. Who knew pinstripes would be useful? Behind the wheel well and up a little, where there are fewer pinstripes which should thus make it sort of safer from branches.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
First coat of paint on the center caps (finally).

]
You're probably bugged about this all the time, but I didn't see which paint you used for those center caps. Mine are all flaked and yellow (looks great). Many thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks.
Dupli-Color import auto spray 8800511 platinum given to me by ERG80 when I bought his wheels for the caps above.
I painted my other centercaps with something I found at Lowes in the color that most closely matched the old but I don't remember which one. Oddly, the color wasn't aluminum, I remember that much but it's been years. Just took a cap in with me.... used fine steel wool to get the old paint off first. Both paints have held up well.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Thank you! You make me want to trade to LC wheels. I could stuff 285's but I'm not sure if I should - yet...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

So my lovely antenna wasn't always working correctly, almost as if it was 'half-power' or something. I wasn't getting as good reception as before. Better than when the antenna's down but still...
When I was in there last I noted that the wire on the outside of the motor body had pretty gunked up eyelets and since it appears to be some sort of ground wire (anybody can correct me here, 'cause I don't know this as fact) I figured I'd clean them up. Meant to before but I forgot/ ran out of daylight. Fixed it up. The lower one was really bad. Now it works great!
The end.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Usual location for the side markers is height wise just above the top of the wheel well line and above the back of the wheel well. Looks to be in line with the top door hinge fwiw.
If you check www.roughtrax4x4.com you can see links to view some pics that show the factory locations.

Last edited by aviator; 01-27-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhhhh, the antenna fix.... Need to get the factory one back in my first gen, .........eventually! lol. haven't seen one first gen in the pick-ur-part yards for over a month... Must be a conspiracy! lol.

Hope all is well, Hab!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Usual location for the side markers is height wise just above the top of the wheel well line and above the back of the wheel well. Looks to be in line with the top door hinge fwiw.
If you check www.roughtrax4x4.com you can see links to view some pics that show the factory locations.
Excellent! I'm checking this out....though I'm still looking at those pinstripes.

Chef...Yeah, the antenna fix. Should've done it while I had the thing out earlier. Ah well, gave me an excuse to mess with the truck.
Hard to find first gens around here in the boneyards too but there's a guy that can get all sorts of fun stuff. Mightymouse knows him, I think.
Hope all is better with you too....as with aviator.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Turn steering wheel.... pop. Turn back....pop.
And it isn't bubble wrap.

Soooo...hoping the left upper ball joint (my tentative thought on this) waits til spring. Will do both sides 'cause I'm a glutton for greasy punishment.

Current hoping to wait until spring to-do list:
96-
Possible upper ball joints
Turn signals
Sliders (thinking Stubbs or Outdoor Logic at this point but still thinkin')

99-
Timing belt/water pump
Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance the steering rack bushings are tired and causing the 'pop' as the rack moves? Inner or outer tie rod ends?

Last edited by rworegon; 02-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread