Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 11:47 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
I also got some of the wiring under control.
Yeah, it looks like a couple (dozen) zip-ties would do wonders for the wiring under the dash.

The rest looks awesome. Kinda silly of the delivery guy to block the door closed for you!
The clutch master you exploded definitely needed replacing! All that black goo...blech!! I wonder, was it just the seals disintegrating, or was it that it hadn't been bled often enough? The brake fluid pulls water out of the air, and dirt, and needs replacing every couple years at most. I'm sure you know that, but did the PO? Just curious...

As I said, though, the rest looks great! How does it drive? Or haven't you gotten a chance to do that yet?
Enquiring minds want to know...
​​​​​​​Pat☺
Old 09-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Yeah, it looks like a couple (dozen) zip-ties would do wonders for the wiring under the dash.

The rest looks awesome. Kinda silly of the delivery guy to block the door closed for you!
The clutch master you exploded definitely needed replacing! All that black goo...blech!! I wonder, was it just the seals disintegrating, or was it that it hadn't been bled often enough? The brake fluid pulls water out of the air, and dirt, and needs replacing every couple years at most. I'm sure you know that, but did the PO? Just curious...

As I said, though, the rest looks great! How does it drive? Or haven't you gotten a chance to do that yet?
Enquiring minds want to know...
​​​​​​​Pat☺
It only took 6 zip ties to corral the wiring.

I bleed the clutch and brakes fairly regularly. Especially judging by the black goop the seals were leaving on my fingers I'd say 25 years is a long life lived. I don't know if you can get seal kits for these things, but there was a small amount of wear on the piston which makes me think there's some on the bore. I've had the truck since 2005 and 119,666 miles, don't know if the 2 previous owners did much to the truck.

Still waiting on the shifter base. Without the taller base I can't install my shifter so no driving yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by habanero:
2ToyGuy (09-12-2021), chuckles89 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
It only took 6 zip ties to corral the wiring.

I bleed the clutch and brakes fairly regularly. Especially judging by the black goop the seals were leaving on my fingers I'd say 25 years is a long life lived. I don't know if you can get seal kits for these things, but there was a small amount of wear on the piston which makes me think there's some on the bore. I've had the truck since 2005 and 119,666 miles, don't know if the 2 previous owners did much to the truck.

Still waiting on the shifter base. Without the taller base I can't install my shifter so no driving yet.
Well, email whoever is bringing the shifter base to hurry up!
You have an extensive fan base, I can think of two or three of us at least, and our impatience is growing. We can send really nasty emails, maybe, if they push us, or me anyway, make a polite phone call! I'm sure they don't need any polite phone calls...

Seriously, I kinda figured you bled the systems regularly. I guess it was just age. Funny, 25 years was my peak of my life, give or take, and for those seals, it's very old age. I just hope I don't turn out being a puddle of black goo in my old(er) age.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures, and hearing more good things about your adventures in Toyota world.
Pat☺
The following users liked this post:
habanero (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well, email whoever is bringing the shifter base to hurry up!
You have an extensive fan base, I can think of two or three of us at least, and our impatience is growing. We can send really nasty emails, maybe, if they push us, or me anyway, make a polite phone call! I'm sure they don't need any polite phone calls...

Seriously, I kinda figured you bled the systems regularly. I guess it was just age. Funny, 25 years was my peak of my life, give or take, and for those seals, it's very old age. I just hope I don't turn out being a puddle of black goo in my old(er) age.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures, and hearing more good things about your adventures in Toyota world.
Pat☺
Thanks for the very nice words.

Marlin got the tranny out lickety split so I'm not complaining. The tracking number for the shifter base showed up today, s'posed to get here on the 17th. Stoked I'm gonna be driving the old thing by next week! It's making me sad to see it sitting there doin' nothing but growing spider webs and dirt.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:47 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
If only you'd mentioned* that shifter issue to them beforehand?

* - more than a half dozen times, at least...

It certainly seems like the 4Runner manuals have a taller shifter base which would give you shorter throws compared to the Tacoma. I guess because the 4Runner has more of a console and less room for a stick to move around?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Got my shifter base back, it shifts! It shifts!!

Tomorrow I'ma doing a BarCycle thing where I get booze while pedaling a...bar? After that I'm going to be forced to eat tacos and burritos and drink margaritas.
Life is difficult when your middle sister's getting married.
Gonna try to talk my other sister into being the designated, she doesn't drink anyways. That's fair, right?

Depending on what's left of me after that, which will probably still be pretty much because I'd rather watch the drunks than be the drunks, I'll attach the trans to the...trans!
Watch out spiderwebs, your days are numbered!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:34 AM

Wow! Hate to see you sacrifice yourself for your sister that way

I wish you all the fun in the world. It's nice to have some fun, once in a while.

After the fun, just remember, you poor truck is waiting for you. It needs your help. Just listen, you'll hear it calling to you.

Seriously, as serious as I get any way, have a great time, and congrats to your sister on her wedding!
Pat☺
Old 09-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! Hate to see you sacrifice yourself for your sister that way

I wish you all the fun in the world. It's nice to have some fun, once in a while.

After the fun, just remember, you poor truck is waiting for you. It needs your help. Just listen, you'll hear it calling to you.

Seriously, as serious as I get any way, have a great time, and congrats to your sister on her wedding!
Pat☺
Thanks on her behalf. Sometimes you just have to pedal a bar around for your sister.

Transfer cases attached to transmission VERY carefully so the input shaft didn't mess with the seal. All the sticks are back in, just need to connect the outer two transfer case sticks to the levers. I suppose I should put oil in soon, to make sure my fipg seal holds between the transmission and taco box. It's getting there!

While I fidgeted with that my lovable husband notched the Lil' Skips tank skid to accommodate the bolt-on sliders and primered the topside. That's something else I've got to work on.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 320,xxx and a few more miles than it had yesterday

It moves!! Still have several bits of thises and thatses and a front driveshaft to install, but it goes!
I'll have to see how it works this time round, but at least I know to be paranoid about the transmission fluid level too, if I see signs of leaking.
Knocking wood there's no signs of leaking with the different style seal Marlin installed.

Also did an oil change since I didn't get to it right after our trip.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

Bolted up the Lil Skips gas tank skid that my husband gifted me. He knows what floats my boat.
I measured and he cut a part of the front drivers mount flange off to accommodate my bolt-on skids.
I did find my right rear tank and skid mount is bent a bit, but the skid bolted up so no worries.
Name:  p9dnDIo.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  59.9 KB

I still have to ground the Tacoma speed sender so the odo/speedo works
annnnd
the airbag light is on (durnit). Not sure why, everything was unplugged/ plugged back together with the battery disconnected. I also had the steering wheel secured so as not to break the clock spring.
Well, at least it hasn't done any exploding.
The following 3 users liked this post by habanero:
chuckles89 (10-03-2021), dropzone (09-28-2021), old87yota (09-29-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 10:27 AM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
(post a gif of Young Dr Frankenstein: "Its ALIVEE!!!")
Old 09-27-2021, 11:51 AM

That skid plate looks good. Really good! Actually, way too good. Skid plates should be scratched, dented, dinged, etc. Your truck is crying out for some off road abuse. It's what they live (??) for.

As to the airbag light: Did you start disconnecting the airbag connectors within 90 seconds of disconnecting the battery? I read in the FSM that you must do tht, or else. I'll see if I can find it so you can see for yourself...

Good luck, and stay very cautious of those airbags and such. They are very dangerous!

Have fun!
Pat☺
Old 09-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

That skid plate looks good. Really good! Actually, way too good. Skid plates should be scratched, dented, dinged, etc. Your truck is crying out for some off road abuse. It's what they live (??) for.

As to the airbag light: Did you start disconnecting the airbag connectors within 90 seconds of disconnecting the battery? I read in the FSM that you must do tht, or else. I'll see if I can find it so you can see for yourself...

Good luck, and stay very cautious of those airbags and such. They are very dangerous!

Have fun!
Pat☺
I disconnected the battery, it was way longer than 90 seconds so there should have been no residual charge left.
I really dislike working around the airbag or the wiring!

So I jumpered 'AB' to 'TC', no codes showed themselves.
I test drove it to check for cruise. Nope, no cruise either. Tomorrow I need to disconnect the battery and test the clock spring for continuity. I had the wheel bungeed, but it wasn't hard to unscrew the 3 screws that hold the steering column cover on and no cruise makes me wonder. I do have horn. Actually, the cruise control light lights, it just wouldn't hold a speed. That may be a different issue. Thinking out loud here...
I just painted the skid! Don't worry, the pretty won't last long.

Last edited by habanero; 09-27-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:04 PM

My cruise has a small difficulty holding a speed on occasion. It turns out to be the clutch pedal and brake switches, the ones that make when the pedals are fully released, are very sensitive. Sometimes, I need to hook my toe under the clutch pedal and give it a nudge or two outward to get the cruise to cruise. It's usually the clutch pedal is the trouble after city driving.
You might want check the switches are both making properly when the pedals are fully released. Easy enough. Just unplug them, and slap a multimeter on them. Heck, one of them may even have gone bad on you. Worth a look, anywho...

Have fun!
Pat☺
habanero (10-01-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

My cruise has a small difficulty holding a speed on occasion. It turns out to be the clutch pedal and brake switches, the ones that make when the pedals are fully released, are very sensitive. Sometimes, I need to hook my toe under the clutch pedal and give it a nudge or two outward to get the cruise to cruise. It's usually the clutch pedal is the trouble after city driving.
You might want check the switches are both making properly when the pedals are fully released. Easy enough. Just unplug them, and slap a multimeter on them. Heck, one of them may even have gone bad on you. Worth a look, anywho...

Have fun!
Pat☺
I did have that happen with the cruise before when the oe clutch pedal spring was hanging up, good call. I'll give both of them a look.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Score one for 2ToyGuy, clutch pedal was not engaging the switch. Have not tested it, but am confident that was it.

I've tested for continuity on the clockspring. It has it. I did have it all bungeed together while I had it apart so the steering wheel would stay put to avoid breaking the clockspring, but old parts is old.
Haven't come across any unplugged abs connectors yet. Mostly I've been working my rear end off and coming home either too tired to think or move, or it's been dark. It's a weird year to be a lunch lady.
2ToyGuy (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 01:35 PM

I'm very glad I was some small help.

I hope the rest goes well for you. Yes, old parts is old. I know that personally

Good luck!
Pat☺
habanero (10-02-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 320,333 miles

Replaced the air filter a few days ago.
Still haven't figured out the SRS airbag light, did find a procedure to reset the light without the pretty (expensive) Toyota tool. Haven't tried it yet, can't find the years the procedure is for and feel the need to do more research.

Today I spent a little time piddling about the trans/trans/trans, tucking wires out of the way and such. I also made some new vent bearings, those little square things that keep the vents from being floppy and also that fall apart. I used Everbilt #6 license plate nuts and modified them a lot. The hole had to be made bigger and the back shorter and the sides narrower. Eh, they seem to be working, but something that fits better would be nice.
Name:  7KlPLL8.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  64.0 KB

The husbandio put a new pair of lower ball joints on the 99 4Runner today as preventative maintenance. Last done at 168xxx miles, now at 243,xxx. Given what we do to them and where we go it seems reasonable.

Last edited by habanero; 10-23-2021 at 06:10 PM.
chuckles89 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 04:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Today I spent a little time piddling about the trans/trans/trans, tucking wires out of the way and such. I also made some new vent bearings, those little square things that keep the vents from being floppy and also that fall apart. I used Everbilt #6 license plate nuts and modified them a lot. The hole had to be made bigger and the back shorter and the sides narrower. Eh, they seem to be working, but something that fits better would be nice.
I recreated mine with JB weld and they work pretty decent.
habanero (10-24-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Got a box of shiny parts from Northwest Fabworks. It's an Eco-crawler kit. It uses the very common and easy to find reduction gears from a third gen transfer case to use as a doubler that bolts in between the trans an original transfer case. And it has multiple bolt holes that allow you to clock the transfer case in roughly 5 degree increments if desired.

Not quite as neat as Habanero's Marlin crawler, since both low ranges will be the stock 2.57:1. So 1:1 H/H, 2 different ways to get 2.57:1 (H/L, L/H) and a new roughly 6.6:1 L/L. She's got 1:1, 2.57:1, 4.7:1, and roughly 12:1.

Still, a 6.6:1 crawl will be very nice on some of the rougher trails we've been doing lately. Manual trans 1st gear/low range/1000 rpm is just too fast sometimes, and if you start trying to use the clutch it gets hot pretty quickly, not good for an extended day crawling over ledges and rocks.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jomoka:
chuckles89 (12-05-2021), dropzone (12-05-2021), habanero (12-04-2021), old87yota (12-08-2021)

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread