Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
96 4Runner 316,1xx miles

Noticed my stock back-up lights weren't working. Fuse was fine, wires going to the back-up switch were not.
Name:  1EA92Td.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  49.1 KB

One of the wires had broken off very short so a run by the junkyard was in order. After finding no 4Runners we went traipsing through the Toyota sedans. Found a like connector on top of the transmission of a fwd sedan with manual trans.
Replaced the connector and voila! Reverse lights.

For Christmas my husband gave me weather tech mats, those will be really useful!
I also got a rivet gun from here, for some bizarre reason. It's already proven very useful....

just not by me.
The following 3 users liked this post by habanero:
chuckles89 (12-27-2020), old87yota (01-01-2021), RAD4Runner (01-06-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Yeah, someone got me a present that required a pop-rivet tool.

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread-uhkrzpoh.jpg

Shame on me for peeking at the package when it arrived, and then noticing it needed a pop-rivet tool we didn't have...
The following users liked this post:
chuckles89 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy Crap Hab

Originally Posted by habanero
Kitty! So glad to hear from you again! Remember, I've seen your work. 'Tis me that's trailing after you!
I take a short hiatus (5years and change) and look what you have achieved, wow. There is a definite bias to you (there always was). WoW, truly impressed and inspired !

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 12-29-2020 at 02:35 PM.
habanero (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
I take a short hiatus (5years and change) and look what you have achieved, wow. There is a definite bias to you (there always was). WoW, truly impressed and inspired !
Kitty!! You're back! Please tell me we'll see more of your awesome fab skills and your truck!
So glad to see you around, what all have you been up to?

Last edited by habanero; 12-29-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Kitty!! You're back! Please tell me we'll see more of your awesome fab skills and your truck!
So glad to see you around, what all have you been up to?
It will be a little while before I'm back on the boards, a few months and life will be getting back on track hopefully !

As to what I've been up to, (I'll expand in my Gen 2 thread) its been hectic, living/surviving life's journey, so a beautiful baby boy who has kept us on our toes, bush fires and building a new home, is the condensed answer to the question.
A year ago today, this is what we came home to

31-12-2019

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 12-31-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
It will be a little while before I'm back on the boards, a few months and life will be getting back on track hopefully !

As to what I've been up to, (I'll expand in my Gen 2 thread) its been hectic, living/surviving life's journey, so a beautiful baby boy who has kept us on our toes, bush fires and building a new home, is the condensed answer to the question.
A year ago today, this is what we came home to

31-12-2019
OH! I'm so sorry your family lost your home to the fires! I hope you're able to bring something beautiful up from the ashes and that you were able to keep together that which is most important to you.
Here's to better, less exciting times, future projects that showcase your talents, and things going your way!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner, driveway ornament and very large bookend.

It's been a saga. Machine shop called to let me know the axle shaft bearing spun and the shaft was junk.
Grab my last spare and schlep it over there.
Get a call- this one is even worse.
On this one the inner race just spins on the shaft and it's loose enough to jingle while it's doing it.

Now I'm out of axles unless you count the '99, or as I like to call it- The Parts Truck.
Not all of us see eye to eye on that, sooo...

Off to the junkyard.
And the other junkyard.
And the other junkyard.
Annnnnnd the other junkyard.
Lots of big fat nopes.

I finally called Mighty Mouse. He's got a line on an axle for me!!!
Crossing fingers- with any luck, the kind I seem to be missing, I'll have the truck up and running this weekend.
Once that's done I can give attention to getting my old tranny rebuilt.
You know....the Parts Truck has a perfectly good transmission....

It's always a party over in here.
The kind where uninvited guests show up and trash the place.

Last edited by habanero; 01-05-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Kitty's 4Runner (01-06-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

Mighty Mouse came through with 2 axles that had bearings recently done. Everything looks good with a normal amount of slight play. I move my newer brake shoes over as well as my well-cared-for-with-a-nearly-new-boot bell crank.
After having a chat with the woman of the house, myself, I did the brake swap on the kitchen floor.
It's almost 30 degrees outside. One thing to do an axle (quick enough) and another to move junk over to the new axle (not quick enough).
Tomorrow will be another cold day. I'll throw the axle on the truck and adjust the brakes.
Name:  jRUx6Nd.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  wfccHGD.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  lgjXvS5.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  82.1 KB
The following 4 users liked this post by habanero:
75w90mantraN (01-20-2021), chuckles89 (01-09-2021), coopster (01-10-2021), old87yota (01-16-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:46 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
96 4Runner

The to-dos are piling up. Just got back from a MO OK NM AZ CA NV UT trip, but took the diesel jetta wagen so no 4Runner fun. I did see a lot of beautiful 4Runners, FJ40s, Land Cruisers of various years, etc. Will admit to being jealous of how little rust (like none) there was.
For grins: Badwater Basin, Death Valley...
in my neck of the woods and dont even bother to say hello.

I tried the ol'
"Wait until your father gets home!"
schtick, but they didn't care.
Ive tried this before. Unfortunately, they dont believe me when i tell then that their father is the milk man.
habanero (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
in my neck of the woods and dont even bother to say hello.
Wait! We were in your neighborhood? We were in a LOT of neighborhoods, but I didn't know one of them was yours!
We should have stopped by, said hello. Can you pretend we waved when we drove by???

Ive tried this before. Unfortunately, they dont believe me when i tell then that their father is the milk man.
It doesn't work when I say the mailman is their mom, either.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:40 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Wait! We were in your neighborhood? We were in a LOT of neighborhoods, but I didn't know one of them was yours!
We should have stopped by, said hello. Can you pretend we waved when we drove by???

It doesn't work when I say the mailman is their mom, either.
Caifornia is my neighborhood. LOL.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the connector is wired up like so:

It's not the connector that came with the VSS, but it's 3 wire and clips in so all I needed was to wire it up.

Then find this plug on the right side of the output shaft. Unscrew the bolt and pry it out. Gear oil will come out and if you're me it will run along the skid plate and drip on your head, making you smell bad and face you with a future 3 shampoo shower.

And replace with the sensor. Mightymouse brought me just the right part, the gearing matches, it's the electronic and not the cable driven one with the shorter shaft than the cable drive version and it has 3 wires. Had to have come out of a possibly 96 or more likely 97+ Taco, or some non-abs Toyota truck maybe he'll chime in? Several years had them, this one fit just right gear and all.

route the goofy blue wire holder out of the way (zip tied to the same holder as the o2 sensor but otherwise not finished in this pic)
And there you go.
what did you use for the gnd ??? i cut the grey with blue and spliced in the vss and then spliced the black with yellow to the 12 v on the vss .. thought i found a good gnd on a bolt but maybe not ? speedo still not working .. 1997 4runner was a abs speedo body on a non abs frame before i got it .. now im just fixing issues
Old 01-15-2021, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 250gottiline
what did you use for the gnd ??? i cut the grey with blue and spliced in the vss and then spliced the black with yellow to the 12 v on the vss .. thought i found a good gnd on a bolt but maybe not ? speedo still not working .. 1997 4runner was a abs speedo body on a non abs frame before i got it .. now im just fixing issues
The front left bolt on the brake lever bracket. Multimeter? I originally spliced the grey/blue wire as described in the link I posted, but ended up running it solo to the vss- before doing that the speedo was jumping all over. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok ty .. might be a bad vss
Old 01-16-2021, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
Caifornia is my neighborhood. LOL.
That's a big neighborhood! Big snowstorm, traffic was epic driving north on our way to Yosemite. That was as far north as we went, then had to head south to go around the mountains to get to Death Valley because all the roads through them were snowed in.
Good times.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 250gottiline
ok ty .. might be a bad vss
I'm actually currently having issues with my VSS after my Tacobox install. I've got continuity for all 3 wires, which puts me at either the vss, the plastic gear (mine is worn), or the gear within the transfer case (sharp teeth), which I had to take apart to pull the pill that connects the drive shift with the gear shift. Since I need a speedo until I can get my vss working again I reconnected the blue/gray wire since I have abs again. That confirms that my speedo is not the issue.
I do want to go back to the vss- it's more accurate than what the abs-induced speed reads.

The soggy snow we had yesterday is a hindrance- everything is done out in the driveway. I need to find the test procedure for the vss to confirm yay or nay for it. If I do find it I'll post it here. If you come up with anything I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Ordered a rebuilt trans from Marlin. At least I can still drive it until it's time to swap out the current popper-mission. That's a win.

Installed a junkyard back window gasket, 3 pieces. It's in a lot better shape than mine.

Been cold and wet so not much going on with the vss diagnostic. It was working before I took everything apart and the only things I did was lengthen the wiring to make up for the tacobox length, add the front locker light to the cluster, and pull/reinstall the worm gear in the transfer case. Speedo works when attached to abs, that leaves the other 2.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

Just some AC Delco wiper blades for the front. 17", cheap, well-rated. We'll see how they last.
It's a rained all Saturday humid-cold with a touch of snow on the way Sunday. Mostly we're staying in.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

My lovable wonderful hubby gave me weather tech mats for the '96 for Christmas. I installed them but the grommet in the truck's carpet is long gone so the included retainer for the driver's side has nothing to anchor to.
On a junkyard run we found a floor mat with a larger grommet. Turns out it screws together. It finally stopped being bitterly cold so today I unscrewed and installed it in the truck. That was pretty much it.
Name:  Vj9L3Gu.jpg
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  SQAAH1P.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  YtSTAAM.jpg
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  XeIahO7.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB

It looks like there may be some rust staining on the carpet by the seat mount. It's the one I had to drill through the floorboard because the captive nut cracked free many moons ago.
Will have to pull the bolt and check, it probably needs resealing.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
That's great! I love my weather tech mats. They've saved my butt several times. So much nicer than 25 year old carpet.
habanero (02-22-2021)

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread