Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Also, the Wheelskins install is not hard, just have to keep a good strong tension on it. Cool on the 2000 and the son but I have to agree about the traffic especially if just to drive in the gritty stuff. I sure do like your 89, you've poured so much into it, it really shows.

Over here I'm trying to find a spot for the circuit breakers for the fuse blocks. I have a spare piece of plexiglass (son went through a glass pane in the back door, replaced with plexi and bought a spare) and a heat gun. That equals possibilities....

Also beginning the photo replacement. Bear with me, it's gonna take awhile.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

DONE DONE DONE DONE DONE DONE!!!

Everything that I've posted has been swapped so the particular little piece of photobucket I was using can go to a nice cliff and jump off it.
There's a few that didn't transfer correctly so they'll be tweaked and added too, but 99.998% is PB-free.
Well, in this thread, at least. And I can't do anything about posts that are not mine, but that's okay.
That's about as far as I'm going to go with my threads as most every pic I've posted is in this thread.
If there's a pic I posted out there somewhere else and you want/need to see it send me a link to the post and I can re-do it pretty easily.

whew.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Yeah!

I was just getting into reading your build up a few days ago before the pictures went into ransom mode.

Thanks for taking the time to re-post your pictures! I have a feeling that many great threads will die because of the lack of pictures, but not your thread!

OK, back to page 5 where I left off...
Old 07-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by old87yota
Yeah!

I was just getting into reading your build up a few days ago before the pictures went into ransom mode.

Thanks for taking the time to re-post your pictures! I have a feeling that many great threads will die because of the lack of pictures, but not your thread!

OK, back to page 5 where I left off...
You're welcome and hope you're entertained old87yota. It was a miserable process but worth it if anybody gets anything out of it at all.

Page 5....
Old 07-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
My pics are still up as far as I can see (maybe you can't tell if it's your own account?). I've been paying for the lowest tier, I think $20/year. I am NOT going to pay $399. All my pics are spread across two computers and some memory cards so they are not lost. I'm mad that yours and Terry87's long mega helpful threads are screwed among many others. There are many times I just look up my problem and find the answer without having to post about it.

I've checked Photobucket's Twitter and Facebook pages. They are not responding to people. I posted the link to complain to the Colorado State Attorney General's Office and also the phone number of Photobucket so I hope they are flooded with complaints. I don't know anything about internet law but I think what they are doing is like ransomware. They are based in Denver, CO and just got a new (greedy) CEO. This is going over like new Coke. PB: 303-228-5100. I will file a consumer fraud complaint here if they mess with my account: https://coag.gov/file-complaint
Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Good evening Nervo19.

My thread is good to go other than other people's posts- I can't fix those. My pics started disappearing last week, and not all at once. You'd know if yours were down, you'd get a square telling you about 3rd party hosting. My husband's paying a small amount for extra storage too, I noticed his are disappearing too. Likely it's a matter of time.

The good news is that the pics are still in their account with PB, they just can't be link or hosted without the crazy fee. The reason it's good is you can download them onto your computer. When you do the pics will still have the PB addy...

is
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...psfk2go8op.jpg
When downloaded it became
C:\name of folder it's in on your computer\P5159556_zpsfk2go8op

When I did this I had Yotatech, Notepad and File Manager open at the same time.

So right click on the PB photo you need to change, select 'copy image location'
Control/V paste in Windows notepad

Click edit for the post you need to change, click on the pic you are changing, click on the pic option. A pop-up will happen for your new pic. Leave it alone.
Go to your notepad and highlight, then control/C to copy the last part of the address you pasted
P5159556_zpsfk2go8op
Paste control/V into the search bar on file manager and the corresponding pic in your computer will come up.
Drag and drop in the yotatech pop-up.
When it loads click 'insert' and it will replace the PB pic.

Do that 1400 times.

I may do pics from here on out with Google...haven't quite decided what to do yet.

Last edited by habanero; 07-04-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

What's really weird is that the pic in the post above was one of the missing ones....appears to be working now...
Well, it's 10:12pm, it'll be interesting to see if that changes.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Ha, nevermind, they killed it. It's just a random image to display a very confusing tutorial anyway.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 291,896 miles

Today I added a fork mount to the back cargo area for my bicycle so it can go inside the truck. It's a med Niner Rip9 which is pretty big. To get it in the front wheel and seat/post have to come off. Unfortunately our floors are like our bumpers, tin foil. I've bolted it on using plates that were at least triple the size of the fork mount on both sides of the flooring. that was still too wobbly so I've added another brace against the floor struts or whatever those strengthening pieces you can see when underneath the truck. Much better now, but I'm not sure how well it'll hold up to wheeling. My best bet would be to find a larger square flat bit of steel to bolt the fork mount to, to spread the stress even more than my smaller piece.

Hmmm....the skid plate on the 99 are several large chunks of metal.....

Last edited by habanero; 07-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 292,007 miles

Counteract balance beads. 4oz each tire. Jury is definitely out but I've only driven 20 miles on them, nearly up to 70 mph. Had a nasty shudder between 45ish to 60ish mph and that's much better, how much is inconsistent though. Need to do some time on them, will have to update as I get more experience with them.

Why I went with them is because my BFG's are constantly out of balance because of things like missing weights, a weight on another tire is partially ground off....wheeling is hard on them. Have seen others try this with success, we'll have to see what the little 4Runner thinks.

Hope this isn't a stupid idea....
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a fix asap please! I'm trying to pull haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
96 4Runner 292,007 miles

Counteract balance beads. 4oz each tire. Jury is definitely out but I've only driven 20 miles on them, nearly up to 70 mph. Had a nasty shudder between 45ish to 60ish mph and that's much better, how much is inconsistent though. Need to do some time on them, will have to update as I get more experience with them.

Why I went with them is because my BFG's are constantly out of balance because of things like missing weights, a weight on another tire is partially ground off....wheeling is hard on them. Have seen others try this with success, we'll have to see what the little 4Runner thinks.

Hope this isn't a stupid idea....
i had 8-10 oz of airsoft beads in my goodyears

did a little research on other free hosting services

figured out how to use google photos but it is a pain to use
Using Google Chrome:
Right click on the google image, 'Open image in new tab', right click on the new tab image,'copy image address', paste that into the image box URL form.

set up a flickr account and it is easy to use, you get 1 TB of free pics hosting so
https://thelabradorforum.com/threads...-update.10872/
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr

Last edited by dropzone; 07-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jacobfarms
Need a fix asap please! I'm trying to pull haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Jacobfarms...everything I own is a stick shift- no overdrive! I am completely unfamiliar with auto trannys other than the flex plate sometimes cracks and something about solenoids. I'm not sure how the o/d button works.
Should you be using o/d for towing?
For the next post you do don't forget to include your year/make/model/engine size, it'll be a lot easier for somebody in the know to answer the question.
Also, welcome to Yotatech.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
i had 8-10 oz of airsoft beads in my goodyears

did a little research on other free hosting services

figured out how to use google photos but it is a pain to use
Using Google Chrome:
Right click on the google image, 'Open image in new tab', right click on the new tab image,'copy image address', paste that into the image box URL form.

set up a flickr account and it is easy to use, you get 1 TB of free pics hosting
Thanks for the host info dropzone! Looks like Imgur is another favorite.
Also I quoted your Trekker pic because Trekker.
I had a shop spin balance the BFGs to figure out how many ounces to add. Hopefully 4oz is enough.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM

I'm trying to haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Jacobfarms...everything I own is a stick shift- no overdrive! I am completely unfamiliar with auto trannys other than the flex plate sometimes cracks and something about solenoids. I'm not sure how the o/d button works.
Should you be using o/d for towing?
For the next post you do don't forget to include your year/make/model/engine size, it'll be a lot easier for somebody in the know to answer the question.
Also, welcome to Yotatech.
I'm trying to haul stuff and my o/d off does not work at all. The button on the shifter clicks like it's suppose to but I get no light and when I'm driving and o/d is in the off position it still goes into o/d any ideas about what I should be checking????
Jacobfarms, I have already answered your post to the best of my ability, see above. IF it's anything like my ABS light the bulb is important to the whole equation. Is that your problem? I have NO idea. Assuming electrical but still have NO experience with auto trannies. In the case of stick-shifts you would not normally use 5th/od for towing a load. I don't even know if that's the case for A/T. Go into the forum list and find the year/model area that pertains to your vehicle and find the appropriate thread to ask your question. Welcome to Yotatech and have a lovely day!

Am I being spammed???
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Sorry it a 93 4runner 3.0 auto but I'm not towing in o/d. I'm trying to drop out of o/d and when I press the button on my shifter nothing happens. The light is not blown it is working but only during my diagnostics procedure.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Sorry it a 93 4runner 3.0 auto but I'm not towing in o/d. I'm trying to drop out of o/d and when I press the button on my shifter nothing happens. The light is not blown it is working but only during my diagnostics procedure.
You need to start your own discussion thread in the appropriate section. This is for 95.5-2002 Builds, you want the 86-95 non build portion. You're thread jacking this build man
The following users liked this post:
Zcostilla (03-26-2020)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Ah, gotcha. Yep, still no clue about auto trans. I have 5 manual transmission vehicles, none auto, so have no experience. To top it off I have what is referred to as 3rd gen 4runners and you have a 2nd gen. Not a whole lot of clue about those, either.

Originally Posted by jakey poo
You need to start your own discussion thread in the appropriate section. This is for 95.5-2002 Builds, you want the 86-95 non build portion. You're thread jacking this build man
This^. While I never mind a person seeking answers and it would be nice if I could rattle off some sort of helpful info......well.....I can't and have said so thrice now. Jakey poo does give you a definite place to look, I'm not sure what your post count has to be before you can start a thread, but I have a feeling you'll be hitting it soon if not already.

Seriously Jacobfarms, good luck with finding your answer rapidly. Come visit this thread any time, just, I beg of you, no more 2nd gen auto tranny questions that I can't answer.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Habanero,
You probably don't remember me, but we used to converse YEARS ago when I had my 87 and 94 Yota's.
I've just recently bought a 97 4Runner and decided to revive the account.

I'm glad to see the build has been going well for you!

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread