Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Whew! Did I also mention I sound like Minnie Mouse?

Thanks for the very kind words Jason, you don't have dumb questions and you've answered a bunch of mine, too! I love the podcasts, am trying to think of another trucky thing to do while I listen to the newest one.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Hab, truck is looking as good as ever. As for the shifter boot cover, ever thought of getting yourself some leather and seeing a new one? Or neoprene. Use the old one as a template. shouldn't be too tough. I also believe that they are real leather from the factory. At least, both the 90 runner and the tacoma were. just old and dirty.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
Hab, truck is looking as good as ever. As for the shifter boot cover, ever thought of getting yourself some leather and seeing a new one? Or neoprene. Use the old one as a template. shouldn't be too tough. I also believe that they are real leather from the factory. At least, both the 90 runner and the tacoma were. just old and dirty.
Thanks and good morning!!
I can pull apart a hub or find an oil change annoying but simple but SEW? My only domestic quality is that I live in a house, and that's just 10 months out of the year.

Leather would be great but it's got a fabric backing on it. I'm not sure, but that's not leather, is it? (see above statement) It does seem to be pretty simple pattern-wise, a little deconstructing of the old should net something useable.
The hubby mentioned the same thing.....hmmm.....maybe he sews! I do like the neoprene idea, probably easier for him to sew, too.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Hab...say it with me... sewing is easy. Especially a small thing like this. Get your old one, slice the threads and lay it flat, go buy some material, mark it out and cut new one based on old. You have a pattern right there with your old one. Even shows you how far from the edge the stitches need to be for the seam. I think the worst part might be getting it over the wire frame.

Oooor, you could go the easy way. Google shows a ton of black synthetic leather shift boots for your runner from 20-60 bucks. But, why not pick up another skill? From a shift book comes recovering your seats just down the road!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Tonight we put in a new bathroom faucet, tomorrow a new toilet. That's more my milieu. Okay, I just do it because it needs doing. You're right, it shouldn't be too hard. I couldn't find a shift boot set that matches what's in my truck, one boot with holes for two shifters. Looks like the m/t Tacoma boot, maybe that would fit? Ebay says no...

I'm gonna see how my 'fix' holds up but yeah, at some point I suppose I'll have to pick up a needle and thread. There will go the neighborhood!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 PM

Look at Hab, thinking about being all domestic and ish. Hahaha. What has this world come to?!?

AFAIK, the Taco shifter surround should be the same as the runner. I could be wrong, but they use the same dash and center console, so, Im just guessing,
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Me? Domestic? No worries, the world is safe!
Good to know about the Taco, didn't know they were the same. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey Habanero here's a link for the seller in England that makes leather boots. This is for the 96-2002 4Runner. If you PM them they will make it whatever color you want. at least they used to. I have one in the '89 and it smells terrific. I later got a matching console cover. It's a bit expensive but it arrives quickly. I'd pay almost anything to not have to sew.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351001418890?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Nervo, bookmarked! From your link it looks like the Tacoma boot space-junk referred to will fit the 4Runner, which gives me options. It is nice that particular one comes with the wire already installed. When my boot fails I'm going to follow both your advices.
1) Deconstruct, cut out pattern and sew. Try again. And again. Annnnnd again.
2) Screw up horribly and order a new boot!

Got some new Strong-arm hatch lift supports yesterday. It's 16 degrees out so I think I'll wait for it to warm up just a tad. The hatch stays sort of open still, just not all the way. In the warm it can be pushed the rest of the way up and stay but you know how failing lift supports get when it's cold. I've had enough hits to the head to last 5 lifetimes.

Last edited by habanero; 12-09-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Hab, I know some time ago you did a mod involving moving your front turn signal to the marker light, I've read a couple threads about it but can't find any thing on what people "including you" used for the light socket, if I missed it somewhere in your thread I apologize, but do you remember off hand what parts you used?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Jason, I used a couple of used sockets out of an older Honda Civic because that's what was in the junkyard that day.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index25.html

My inspiration came from Ritzy 4Runner's thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...tacoma-132967/ but he used 82-83 Honda Accord sockets. Those would be better because you don't have to make a 'key' for them to fit into, they just pop in. For what it's worth, making the notches for the Civic sockets wasn't hard. The bulb needs to be amber and I've seen a variety of sockets used in a variety of ways. For the record, 168 bulbs are a little brighter and fit in the 194 sockets.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

There's another Give-away! Good luck again, everybody!! Show off your trucks, I can't post my appreciation for the great pics there since I'm not entering as I've already won the mega-cool recovery kit so I'm telling you here. Love seeing the truck pics.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much Hab, I remember reading that part of your build but couldn't find it for the life of me.
And thanks for the heads up on the giveaway ðŸ‘
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
The giveaway is a pretty sweet ARB dual compressor, 100% Duty cycle valued at $500++
I have used one a friend had mounted on his Rover, filled my 35's quick!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:41 AM
Contributing Member

There's a table of contents in post 2 with almost everything linked for those looking for stuff- thanks to BigFishAllDay for that idea-......or anyone can always ask and I can scrounge it up, no worries. Which reminds me, I need to update with the more recent stuff sometime soon. Going out in the woods to play today, though. The Ozark Trail is getting a new section in the next couple/few years.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I always enjoy catching up on your thread. House repair, Urgh!!! my least favorite thing. Seems like it is a never ending deal.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I always enjoy catching up on your thread. House repair, Urgh!!! my least favorite thing. Seems like it is a never ending deal.
Not really any different than vehicle repair, unless you live in your vehicle.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been MIA for the past few days.... but, I am in Middle TN far away from the fires.

That shift boot looks awesome! Bookmarked here too!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Terrys87
It is never ending! I kind of like it and I like that I can, or that I can at least learn and figure out stuff but time and stuff to do never seem to be in the same amounts. Need. Lots. More. TIME!
Originally Posted by space-junk
Not really any different than vehicle repair, unless you live in your vehicle.
Hmmmmm.......
Originally Posted by chuckles89
I've been MIA for the past few days.... but, I am in Middle TN far away from the fires.
That shift boot looks awesome! Bookmarked here too!
So glad to hear! Hope all is well for you and yours. Guess you're getting close to finals and all that schooly sort of stuff. Good luck on all that if that's the case.

About that shift boot, yeah. I love and keep this thread up because I get such good contributions and encouragement to be brave enough to do things I would normally run away screaming from, like sewing. I also get ideas what to buy after I totally screw up the sewing. The satisfaction of having tried something new and the satisfaction of having something that doesn't looked like a rotting dead squirrel on my shift levers afterwards.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
So glad to hear! Hope all is well for you and yours. Guess you're getting close to finals and all that schooly sort of stuff. Good luck on all that if that's the case.

About that shift boot, yeah. I love and keep this thread up because I get such good contributions and encouragement to be brave enough to do things I would normally run away screaming from, like sewing. I also get ideas what to buy after I totally screw up the sewing. The satisfaction of having tried something new and the satisfaction of having something that doesn't looked like a rotting dead squirrel on my shift levers afterwards.
School is out! got out last Wednesday... now I'm back to work!

I'm terrible at sewing too

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread