Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Also stuck the winch in the front reciever, I needed to figure out where to put the bracket for the Anderson connector.
I was able to carry it out of the house and put it on. It is still minus the line- I have yet to do that part. Synthetic will help with the weight. It's heavy, but not too bad.

Just weighed it....#80 line and all. Heh. Don't get in a fight with me?

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 279,5xx miles

Did a rainy junkyard run today and found a rear outlet. In oak but I wanted to keep the grey one I have for the rear...a different project for a different day. I unceremoniously took off the plastic surround that normally clips into the rear cargo side panel.

My kid is always wanting to hog up my one power outlet and then he stretches the charger cord back to where he is. My solution:

Back of center console...it's a blue-grey color...my camera keeps using too much red:

Lots of room under the storage part. Figure out where you want the outlet. Make sure when the cover is opened it doesn't affect the cup holder or junk tray (some of you may know this as the ash tray). I used a 1" hole saw and then trimmed a slight bit to make the hole bigger so the outlet would fit. It's offset to accommodate a second socket next to it if I get bored some other day and happen to find another oak socket. You know, so it matches. :

I used an exacto knife to carefully trim a spot for where the socket keys in and one at top and bottom for where the clips are. Not too much, there's not much of a lip on the socket to hide your holes. Then I stuck it in. Tight fit and I didn't trim too much for the clips so it would pop in and stick. You may or may not need to shim between the console and the clips, mine is not budging. I even managed to get it somewhat straight:

and open:

I still have to wire it up to switched power somewhere and then my kid won't take all the powers.

Oh, and the rain turned into snow so now it's snowing out and then it's going to get cold so who knows when the console is going back into the truck.
Happy Saturday!

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

For Terry and anybody else who's familiar with 44 and 141. This is a picture of hwy 44. The middle of the dry part is the hwy 141 underpass. You can just see the stoplights on either side and you can see the northbound 141 signs above the water. The 141 bridge over the Meramec was in the water too, though the deck stayed dry. This was after the storm that dumped a little over 9" on us in the days after Christmas. I can't recall the Meramec ever covering 44.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Linked most everything in the table of contents post#2 to a page to make it easier to get to.
Waiting on...
Husbandio should be getting a pretty little package today
I've got another fuse block coming to install somewhere in the cabin and link to the start battery. The current auxilliary fuse block is tied into the house battery.
I need to find a spot for the anderson connector at the front of the truck.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I do indeed apparently have a package:
Delivered On:
Wednesday, 01/13/2016 at 12:00 P.M.
Now my 99 gets a few inches taller. Couple of inches? (It was already fairly tall for a stock 3rd gen)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

All I know is ridiculously heavy box.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Great to see you are getting closer to having your winch working. We got hit hard with rain and luckily the way my property sits, it just lets the water run right on down to the river which I am way high to.

I had heard 44 was closed. That is crazy of the picture above. 44 is a main artery for this area and I am sure it caused a lot of headaches. What a mess. Things are starting to dry out around here. That is the first pictures I have seen of 44, wow!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you only got squishy ground, too, Terry! There's some aerials from various drones on the web that are crazy to watch when you know the area.

The winch seems extravagant which I guess means I'm a little spoiled. Bonus: I found a $100 rebate is going on for it! How's that for a little icing on the Christmas tree?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

A little '99 love for the husbandio...

Sonoran Steel 1.2 rebuildable w/2.5" Radflos
http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php

It's in desperate need of a new suspension, much like my 96 was when it got its Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift, maybe even more so. Even at about the same mileage.

Is it time for the 99 to get its own thread yet??? Stuff has been happening to it...

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for a '99 thread for sure! Going to be fun to see it grow.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
The winch seems extravagant which I guess means I'm a little spoiled. Bonus: I found a $100 rebate is going on for it! How's that for a little icing on the Christmas tree?
I got my winch for Christmas 2 years ago. Guess what is still in the box on a shelf in the garage
Old 01-14-2016, 04:58 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
It's sort of like a fire extinguisher. Nice to have when you need it, but you sort of hope to never need it.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Funny you should say fire extinguisher dear...if I keep doing all this electrical junk....er...I mean if YOU keep catching your cars on fire....p'haps we should get a real one at some point? At this rate we will have to take two trucks on vacation- for all the weight of accessories! Time to install the cb and antenna in the 99? Should I start stealth projecting the 99? Give the 96 some relief from me nagging at it with my fiddling.

Originally Posted by rworegon
Time for a '99 thread for sure! Going to be fun to see it grow.
He says it's just a truck and he's not gonna. His passion is for the Volvos so I suppose I can see why he'd rather put his energies there. Just a truck, pfft!

Originally Posted by dropzone
I got my winch for Christmas 2 years ago. Guess what is still in the box on a shelf in the garage
And you've done so much more with your Trekker than I with my 4Runner. Maybe all the winch will do on trips is gather dust and that'll mean the adventure is going pretty smoothly.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 279,599 miles

Rear seat replacement out of an 01 4Runner

Actually, this is easy other than the seat backs include the carpet on the floor of the cargo area and so are awkward to carry/put in the truck.

Old seats. Nothing really wrong with them. They aren't as fluffy as the new seats and have icky vinyl on them but otherwise they are actually in decent shape.

Starting with the seat bottoms. There are 2 bolts for each seat butt. You can pull them forward and get to the bolts at the hinge if yours still have the covers.

Unscrew and pull off the tailgate sill trim. You should be able to pull the carpet out from under the side cargo panels. The carpeting on the wheel humps stay where they are. The slits in the carpet allow the d-rings to pull through without removing them.

The seat backs are one big piece. 8 bolts holds it in, 2 on either side and 4 in the middle. Unbolt. Release the catches, fold down, wrestle carpet and seats out of truck.

Reverse procedure. Getting the bolts in the seat backs lined up is possible. Hand start all, then tighten them down. Make sure your seat belts are all visible and pulled out from under the seat backs.

I had a little cleaning to do....

Look! I've got LATCH now that I don't need a kid seat any more
EDIT: I have LATCH upper anchors. Apparently this is as close to LATCH as the 3rd gen gets, nothing near the seatbelts. Thanks to JBurt for sparking my curiosity about that.

and the newer seats come with places in the seat bottoms to put the headrests when the backs are down. The 96 didn't have either of those things.

It was worth it to me. $40 for more comfortable seats that better match the Mazda seats up front. Not a perfect match, but much better.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

The couple that projects together....on their own projects....stays together!

He started installing a Sonoran Steel 1.2 rebuildable

And now it's got a really tall butt. Front will have to wait for more reasonable temps. It's currently -5 windchill and going downhill. At least yesterday hit was in the 30's. It's got a little bit of rake right now.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 279,606 miles

She (me!) put in a second Blue Sea fuse block. This one is in-cab and for the start battery. It's also switched power whereas the house block is constant.

After trying the block in lots of places I totally stole the where to put it idea from robb1887 over on T4R http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...use-block.html.
Mine is a little different in execution though, as is the fuse block itself. I didn't want to alter the area or drill to I used a bit of strapping to secure it. The strapping is held in place by a screw on one side and fits over the catch on the other side. There are two large holes in front of it so I ran the power wire through that, under the carpet next to the hump and out through a small hole below the passenger seat. I'll either run wiring through that loom or along the door sills on the right side, depending on where I need the power to go.

It has a relay in the engine bay to trigger it.
The jack bits bag that was there tucks nicely under the left seat, you can see the top of it in the pic above.

I had to pull this panel that covers the backside of the front passenger seat belt to get the carpet up, so here's a picture of how it pops in for reference. Pull the door sills, then there's only the 3 places to pop it loose.

Good Morning All! Snow on the way (but only around a half inch).

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Good evening Hab and fam. Projects are looking good. The high butt rig looks, ummm, a little redneck.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Good morning RW!
redneck...
You should hear what he said we should do with the old 4Runner seats! If anyone wants 4Runner rear seats let me know, before they end up on my patio!!

Woke up to 4 degrees with a -11 windchill this morning. I was glad it was 20 degrees inside the tent. We were doing a gear test, it passed nicely. Never do I appreciate a hot cup of coffee as mornings like this.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm, a 4Runner porch swing sounds, uhh, uhh, interesting too. If your hubby breaks out some metal, the welder, and insists on keeping the seat he may be fixing you up a birthday present.
37 and fog here all day. Forecast was for 50 and sunshine.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

RW-
A) HOW do you remember this stuff???
B) Porch swing? Nooooooooo!

It seems it was one of those Get Out Of Bad Forecast days for your weather person. Still...I'll trade....

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread