Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Okay, connectors off, now we can remove the rubber gasket from the mirror.

Next can be incredibly annoying! There are 3 phillips screws that hold the mirror body to the bracket. Why they can't be hex head I have no idea. If you're super lucky as on the 96 they don't strip out and unscrew no problem. If you're not as on the donor mirror you hand them to your husband and he drills them suckers out some magic way that gets the mess apart. They were loc-tited at the factory. It's not you, it's them.

The mirror is much easier to remove. On the bottom of the mirror body there is a hole. Down in that hole is a screw. Unscrew it.

Mirror assembly is now only being held in by the wiring. Behind it is 4 screws that hold the bracket that holds the mirror.

Once you get them out you can get those pieces off the mirror body.
back of mirror...

bracket for mirror...

Okay, you should have a mess of pieces. You should have done the same with all 4 mirrors if you're swapping bodies.

IF YOU ARE NOT SWAPPING BODIES SKIP EVERYTHING PAST GETTING OLD THE MIRROR OFF THE TRUCK EXCEPT TO REMOVE THE WIRES OFF THE OLD CONNECTOR ON THE DOOR! You do what you've got to do.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Well there you go. Parts all over the place. Hopefully you were paying attention when you pulled that mess apart because now you're going to put the heated mirror guts into the old mirror.
One tip: when you're putting the wire on the back of the bracket and running through the bracket and mirror body keep in mind that you want a decent amount to stick out so the connector from the mirror can reach the one on the door.

Once you've got it all back together and the rubber gasket back on you can put the pins back into the connector using your diagram to get the wires in the correct spots. Remember the little piece on the connector that has to be lifted up before the pins can be removed or replaced.

Stick those suckers back on the truck.

So now we're going to take the donor's connector from the door that we diagrammed and took the pins out of

and, following our diagram, put the wires original to the truck into their proper position in the connector. The wire colors on both the old and new connectors match and correspond so easy to do.

There are two extra wires on the new connector. Hopefully when you got your donor mirrors you left enough of the old wire to make it easy to add enough length to wire up your heaters. So put those wire's pins with their added length of wire in the correct spots.

I wrapped the two wires and ran them alongside the old wires into the body of the truck. Take care that they don't interfere with the window or track.
My ground wires for each side terminated just inside the truck body where there's a bolt a little below where they enter the truck. They didn't need to be as long as the power wires.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Time to get some well-timed electricity to the mirrors! As you know, I headed off into the internet wilderness to find me some wiring diagrams to I could figure out where to tie into the rear defrost. What I found was sooooo much better than that!

Thank you to SeanzOrz for his awesome write-up on retrofitting his truck with heated mirrors. Saved me a ton of time and a bunch more grey hairs!
http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...-Horrible-Ways

Using his info I was able to spot the defrost wire I needed to trigger my relay. Mine wasn't in the exact same spot as his but it was off away from the others like his and black w/little silver measles same as his, too. I used the tester to make sure I had the right wire...
bottom left corner off by itself in my case, you'll find this thing behind the left kick panel, near the floor:

Alright. We're ready to wire up the relay....

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

and wiring diagrams here....these may take me a little time to make. If you want to use them it's up to you to make sure the colors correspond to these.

Here's the diagram for the connectors that are on the door, left and right sides, non-heated compared to heated:

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Another one...

Comparison of the connector on the door side as seen from the side the wires go in:

Got it all together and tested. The mirrors warmed up when the defrost button was pressed and shut off when the rear defrost cycle ended. Success!

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats on getting your mirrors heated and working. Toyota changes the wiring color from each year that I have seen but they will be similar, for example it may be a blue wire with a white stripe and the next year it will have a blue wire with a red stripe. Usually they just change one or two wires in the harness and not all of them. Your diagrams will help the next person that wants to do the upgrade. Hope you have a great Christmas.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Congrats on getting your mirrors heated and working. Toyota changes the wiring color from each year that I have seen but they will be similar, for example it may be a blue wire with a white stripe and the next year it will have a blue wire with a red stripe. Usually they just change one or two wires in the harness and not all of them. Your diagrams will help the next person that wants to do the upgrade. Hope you have a great Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you and yours too, Terry! Happy holidays to everybody!

This year I might be the best wife ever (your experiences may vary) and also Steve at Sonoran Steel is Mega Fonzies (thanks, Steve, I think the hubby's gonna like it) and also boy did I ever get a surprise in the form of a homemade card, which is my favorite thing to get....

Will have to post said card up later.

Santa brought a large Lego kit for some quality father/son time so I'm just chillin'.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Rain rain go away! 2 more days of downpours? All DAY today! Efhfakjklajlkadls...

Or maybe not the best wife ever. After all, not my truck so I'm not installing it!

At least it wasn't a vacuum cleaner. Really never choose me as your secret Santa. I tend to be....practical.

Huh, just noticed I forgot the driveshaft. And half the gas tank at least. And all the rear control arms. And the spindles and the front control arms. No cvs. Well that part doesn't matter. Who wants cvs anyway?

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha, it looks a little tippy!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I sure hope that's not prophetic rw! Over 9" of rain in 3 days, forget a lift- I should have given him a pontoon kit!

96 4Runner 279,391 miles
Gotta thank mindomission, his post got me thinking this would be a neat little mod.
Tiny mod I saw on T4R and thought why not?

Washer jets, from 2-stream to 3 stream. Parts came out of a 99-ish Toyota Rav4
It's important to get jets that have a 90 degree right-hand bend (will end up pointing towards the passenger side). Straight out (towards front of truck) will not work...

and you can see there's two catches to depress towards the front and rear of the truck...also you can see other than the number of holes and a slight height difference they are a match.

They come out the top side...

And here's an underneath pic.

Very simple to do and now I've got 3 jets instead of two. The end.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: credit due
Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Did your area get into a state of emergency or whatever they call that? We flooded out down here. Record setter in our area and was wondering on your area.

Those tabs are so much better then what Toyota used to use to install there washer nozzles. Used to be a skirt that went around the bottom of the nozzle and was a royal pain. 3 streams would be nice to have. I liked how you found them on another model and made an improvement on yours. Always liked upgrades like that.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checking in, once again I have to go back a few pages to catch up, great work as always.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Hab! Hope you guys are on high ground with the Mighty Miss flooding and all that rain.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Did your area get into a state of emergency or whatever they call that? We flooded out down here. Record setter in our area and was wondering on your area.

Those tabs are so much better then what Toyota used to use to install there washer nozzles. Used to be a skirt that went around the bottom of the nozzle and was a royal pain. 3 streams would be nice to have. I liked how you found them on another model and made an improvement on yours. Always liked upgrades like that.
Originally Posted by rworegon
Hi Hab! Hope you guys are on high ground with the Mighty Miss flooding and all that rain.
I like those sort of mods too, Terry. This one was handed to me in a neat little post from Mindomission. Others sharing what they find out is even more awesome!

It was A LOT of rain! We are on higher ground and about 22 miles from the Mississippi so no worries for the ol' homestead. The Meramec is closest to us (but again, too far) and the highway we use pretty often, 141, is still closed at 44 because of flooding on it. I've never seen 44 under water ever. It was this time in several places but was finally open again when we got home today from a 4 day backpack.
What a mess! Heard 55 was under water here and there and I know 70 got closed for a short time too in St. Charles. Don't remember that ever happening either.
Places are going to need new names. Valley Park? Nope, River Float. Castlewood State Park? Nope, CastleSea State Marina!

Terry, hopefully you, yours and your home are all in good shape?

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Just checking in, once again I have to go back a few pages to catch up, great work as always.
Thanks Jason! I still have to aim the streams on the squirters, they're a little low, and I've got a new project coming up soon as the last part arrives...
Old 01-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

It's here! It's here! A new project!

Heh, most of it was actually here on Christmas day, except they forgot to pack the line. That was a head-scratchy moment.

It's portable so it'll be able to be used front and rear + on the 99. Some tire carrier clearance issues but there's a couple of ways around that so no worries.

We also made another junkyard run today and there's a couple other small projects coming up. So. Many. Funs!

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:22 PM

That's gonna make a handy little add on. Very nice
Old 01-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jason. I can't help but think it's gonna get me deeper into it, if you know what I mean.

Still, we spend a lot of time by ourselves and often with one truck. Having Mama's little helper around probably isn't a bad idea.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:13 PM

For sure. You will find a lot of uses, hopefully not like all the uses I found for mine this past weekend. I look forward too your install process.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Oooh, heading straight over to your build, Jason!
Edit: I am back. There is nothing! Please regale with your adventure tales.
Edit Again: Okay, I am satisfied. Nice new project you've got in the facebook page/ podcast. I enjoyed listening.

For anyone interested who didn't catch Jason's new project:
http://toyotatrucksandtrails.com/
and
https://www.facebook.com/Toyota-truc...758296231060/#

Last edited by habanero; 01-08-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

FINALLY! It got cold enough outside!

Worked like a quick little charm.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread