Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Are there drool marks and face prints all over the windows that time of year?

Yup, lots of 'em including kids fingerprints keeps the window cleaners busy. I've been spending time on the local fishing forum and drooling over the fish caught down near Portland. We'll get our shot up here soon.

The genies seem to do a fine disappearing act all the time. Bad genies!

Without a doubt, Charlie has the perfect family that takes, and will take, great care of him. Hoping he makes a full, or very near full, recovery.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-19-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Thanks rw!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
See you are making some progress. It is a snug fit with the stock size tires on them. With the tow hitch out of the way it might give a lot more room. Is there enough slack in the line to drop your cable down a little bit for forward room? I would not think a spot weld would hurt the difff cover. Not sure what to do about the height clearance with the tube in the center. Seems like hail, tornado, and flash floods started early this year for you as well. Ready for some fresh veggies.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Fresh veggies please! It's been a nutty storm year so far Terry.

I'm actually going to put a bumper with tire carrier on and that'll solve my situation. Just got talking with hrt4me and have seen people claim to fit 33s underneath so had to see for my MO show-me ownself.

Someone mentioned moving the hitch back to make it work- that's the only way I could see it happening. Either removing or modding the hitch to sit further back is the only way a 33 is going to fit as best as I can tell. Plenty of room between the frame rails. IIRC Sonoran Steel moved the crossmember and therefore the winch back as well, but I can't recall if it was 33s or 35's he was fitting....prolly 35s.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trucks looking great! Haven't followed the build it quite a while. Sorry.

Very cool that you are popping around in a 3rd gen with kiddos. My first is coming this summer, so I've been busy getting things re-organized in the truck so a third seat is available. Those car seats take up an enormous space for such a small piece of cargo

I didn't realize you were going to put a rear bumper on. If you've already got it fabbed up, awesome, but if not, shoot me a PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Trucks looking great! Haven't followed the build it quite a while. Sorry.

Very cool that you are popping around in a 3rd gen with kiddos. My first is coming this summer, so I've been busy getting things re-organized in the truck so a third seat is available. Those car seats take up an enormous space for such a small piece of cargo

I didn't realize you were going to put a rear bumper on. If you've already got it fabbed up, awesome, but if not, shoot me a PM.
You've obviously been very busy and I totally missed your thread altogether!

I used the Sunshine Kids Radian 65, which is now a lot different and a different brand name than it was back then. There's a thread around here somewhere where some used one like a ramp to drive up on it. It's stout and the narrowest seat around. I've got a narrow kid, though. They would easily fit 3 across.
And congrats! They're more fun than you can't shake a baby at! Mostly...

I LOVE your bumper! I don't fab (need to need to need to work on that) so mine is bought, but what you've done is what I would have really wanted. Having the bikes on the swing-out is much better than on the hitch- provided the swing-out can handle a number of bikes. And also it looks really cool with the tire supports.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You've obviously been very busy and I totally missed your thread altogether!

I used the Sunshine Kids Radian 65, which is now a lot different and a different brand name than it was back then. There's a thread around here somewhere where some used one like a ramp to drive up on it. It's stout and the narrowest seat around. I've got a narrow kid, though. They would easily fit 3 across.
And congrats! They're more fun than you can't shake a baby at! Mostly...

I LOVE your bumper! I don't fab (need to need to need to work on that) so mine is bought, but what you've done is what I would have really wanted. Having the bikes on the swing-out is much better than on the hitch- provided the swing-out can handle a number of bikes. And also it looks really cool with the tire supports.
Thanks!

If you aren't putting the bikes on the swing out, you'll have no trouble with the extender. I added in my thread that I bolt both the extender and the bike rack into the hitch, not sure if you were doing that or not. It works great. I have the Yakima capture nut and lock bolt so everything is still locked to the truck, but when bolted, there is very little movement compared to just a hitch pin style set up.

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Thanks!

If you aren't putting the bikes on the swing out, you'll have no trouble with the extender. I added in my thread that I bolt both the extender and the bike rack into the hitch, not sure if you were doing that or not. It works great. I have the Yakima capture nut and lock bolt so everything is still locked to the truck, but when bolted, there is very little movement compared to just a hitch pin style set up.

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip! I do bolt the rack on, will make sure to do the same with the extender. I've only got two bikes on it, but one is fs and the other is a tandem, gets a bit weighty.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 271,498 miles

Oil change. Nothing exciting, thank goodness.

Next up: cv reboot
Gotta research the how-tos on that one. Any tips? I'd be glad to hear them. Getting them out? That I know how to do! Pulling the joint to get the boots on? Snap ring? Outboard or inboard? Time to do some reading...
Old 04-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner 271,498 miles
Next up: cv reboot
Gotta research the how-tos on that one. Any tips? I'd be glad to hear them. Getting them out? That I know how to do! Pulling the joint to get the boots on? Snap ring? Outboard or inboard? Time to do some reading...
are your CV boots leaking, or is this just preventative maintenance?

I just had mine done by my buddy at Toyota... I was going to use the Porsche extended boots, but my buddy did not think that was necessary on my own lifted '96 SR5...
Old 04-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
are your CV boots leaking, or is this just preventative maintenance?

I just had mine done by my buddy at Toyota... I was going to use the Porsche extended boots, but my buddy did not think that was necessary on my own lifted '96 SR5...
The boots on mine are oe off a 96 Taco, dry-rotted. Not split yet, but it's going to happen. Most of the time I have the hubs unlocked so they aren't spinning, that should give me some time. I want to take care of them before they split so the joints aren't exposed to any grit. Learned my lesson and am hanging onto the half-shafts this time! Old dog can learn a little after all.

Yeah, if your previous boots didn't eat themselves you should be all good with stockers. You could always stretch them if the lobes start to rub grooves into each other, that worked good for me before I changed that stuff out.

Saw a built desert dune 3rd gen 4Runner today w/hilift on the roof basket. Had a grey front clip- at least the left fender and hood, I couldn't see the right side. Don't see that too often around here...wondering whoever could that have been.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hab, I used two CV replacement kits from Toyota when I did mine. Don't recall any big gotchas.....I'll look for the thread or link that I used as a guide.

Post #6 has the linky I was thinking of: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...-axles-271190/

I bought new dust shields also.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-25-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Hab, I used two CV replacement kits from Toyota when I did mine. Don't recall any big gotchas.....I'll look for the thread or link that I used as a guide.
habanero, I can get you the factory part number for those kits when I make it back to Texas from southwest Missouri tomorrow night... I'm turkey hunting and bass fishing in the Ozarks right now!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Post #6 has the linky I was thinking of: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...-axles-271190/

I bought new dust shields also.
That is exactly what I needed RW, thanks a bajillion! I am not looking forward to the mess! Also thanks very much for confirming that 217 in another thread. I always get a case of the self-doubties. I am, after all, not a mechanic. Just a with a low curiosity threshold.

habanero, I can get you the factory part number for those kits when I make it back to Texas from southwest Missouri tomorrow night... I'm turkey hunting and bass fishing in the Ozarks right now!
Sweet! Hopefully the weather cooperated for you. It started raining here just as we were putting the finishing touches on a trail build at Greensfelder. Perfect timing other than no evening beer on the porch on account of the rain. Ticks are definitely out and about. Having any luck? Whereabouts-ish are you at? Mid-state?

Appreciate the look-up offer, but I've got it (and them). The factory part number for the boot kit I need is 04438-04021 and yep, as rw says, 2 of them. At least they're only 31.99 each for the 96 Taco w/manual hubs + shipping. This kit will NOT fit a regular 4Runner.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

I am not looking forward to the mess!
Welcome.

I went through several pairs of nitrile gloves doing mine. The grease in there is very, very messy for sure. Lots of Scotts blue paper towels helped contain the grease. I think I used brake cleaner to clean out the grease in the joint itself and then blew it our with compressed air.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-25-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Sweet! Hopefully the weather cooperated for you. It started raining here just as we were putting the finishing touches on a trail build at Greensfelder. Perfect timing other than no evening beer on the porch on account of the rain. Ticks are definitely out and about. Having any luck? Whereabouts-ish are you at? Mid-state?
Ever heard of Protem? I posted a few pics on my FB page...

I caught a few largemouth bass this evening, but I have not shot my Spring turkey yet... hopefully tomorrow morning before my buddy and I return to north Texas...
Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I went through several pairs of nitrile gloves doing mine. The grease in there is very, very messy for sure. Lots of Scotts blue paper towels helped contain the grease. I think I used brake cleaner to clean out the grease in the joint itself and then blew it our with compressed air.
I have compressed air... Noted to pick up some gloves, brake clean and those mechanic's paper towels. This is a mess even I don't want to wallow in.

Ever heard of Protem? I posted a few pics on my FB page...

I caught a few largemouth bass this evening, but I have not shot my Spring turkey yet... hopefully tomorrow morning before my buddy and I return to north Texas...
Saw your post after you left here and nope, never heard of them. It's been said turkeys are cagey things- good luck tomorrow! Off to see what a Protem is and if people eat them and stuff or if they're more like stinky old Asian Carp.

EDIT:
Ohhh. Hahahhahaha, stupid me! Yeah, you've have to be extremely hungry to eat Protem! Have inlaws not super-far from where you are. So some large-mouth bass? You could tell me they're pterodactyls and I'd not have a clue.

No more drink with dinner. You'd think just one would be okay...

Last edited by habanero; 04-26-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 AM

Saw your post after you left here and nope, never heard of them. It's been said turkeys are cagey things - good luck tomorrow! Off to see what a Protem is and if people eat them and stuff or if they're more like stinky old Asian Carp.

EDIT:
Ohhh. Hahahhahaha, stupid me! Yeah, you'd have to be extremely hungry to eat Protem! Have inlaws not super-far from where you are. So some large-mouth bass? You could tell me they're pterodactyls and I'd not have a clue.

No more drink with dinner. You'd think just one would be okay...
it's near Forsyth and not too distant from Branson...

on my last morning before driving back, I saw only a single hen... not a single gobbler nor jake, despite hearing them constantly
Old 04-29-2015, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

it's near Forsyth and not too distant from Branson...

on my last morning before driving back, I saw only a single hen... not a single gobbler nor jake, despite hearing them constantly
I did say extremely hungry, yes?

Turkeys mocking hunters. That. Does not surprise me at all. They probably put the hen out for you to see, did some calls, then hid behind the trees and bushes.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I grew up very near there, between Protem and Forsyth on 160. Tiny little non-town called Hilda.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread