Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey hab which yard did you hit. I've been waiting to hit the yards for a sunny day. Any thing good out there?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Speedway over across from the...Speedway in IL. They had a couple of 2nd gen 4Runners, pretty picked over and a 3rd gen that was picked near clean to the bone, as usual. Wasn't really looking for pickups and none jumped out at me, either.
Pick and Pull over on Hall street in North St. Louis has an online inventory complete with date in yard. Never been, don't know what the security's like where you park your car, but I'm sure you know what the area's like.
If you know of other self-serve yards name 'em.
There is the Yota only yard in House Springs/Imperial area. Seem to specialize in 1st gens and it's not self serve, a call before you head over sort of place, I think.

Last edited by habanero; 03-17-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ma old seats...

That ridge in the seat on the first picture has a metal bar behind it. Doesn't take long for that bar to become pretty unbearable. I've been dealing with it for years until it grew a hole over it and I've cracked. New seats it is!

The new seat...

The install's not concrete yet, still tweaking the mounting system a bit....

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know the yota only guy. Pretty cool dude and yes a call before you go type of thing. I've been to all the yards and pick n pull can be good just depends on what day. Riverside and speedway are the same owners and riverside is the worst. The yota only guy does have other toyota 4x4 stuff as well. If he cannot get a part he knows where to get it and at a decent price as well. At this point he's the guy i go to for all my yota stuff. Only other yard is the one on st. charles rock road and yotas are few and far between there. I might hit some up sunday if weather permits along with time.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Good to know, thanks!

Alright. The hubby snored me awake way to early this morning and I got to thinking. I did not like the way the seats mounted and wanted them a little higher so redid the mounts and I like the way the driver side turned out. Will try to take pictures while constructing the passenger side mount.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are good looking seats Hab. Dig the rig!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Original seat feets removed:

New seat feets and bracket removed:

I used the cutting wheel! I sucked at it. Still, it came out all right enough:

The large holes are space for rivets in the new seat rails. The smaller holes bolt to holes already in the rails from feets removal and the original seat feets. Miraculously there were holes to line up in both- no new holes to drill in the rails or feets.

Everything got bolted together and installed in the truck and marked:

Then it was all taken back apart and the feets reassembled according to their marks, ready for to weld feet to bar:

Which was done by my very favoritest and only hubby of all time:
(no, I am not looking! I got this shot totally blind, around the corner and behind my back)

Bar with feets welded on bolted onto new seat rails with grade 8 bolts, the bolts run through the rail, bar and feets:

And installed back in truck:

TADA!!!

They're an inch higher than the stock seats which is good for short-bodied me. My 6' hubby fits too, but I don't think someone much taller than that will.

And yes, when I take them back out to paint the rails when the air dries out some I will be doing some serious steam vac'ing in there!!!

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Looking good hab... that's an idea I had'nt thought of to lift the seats a bit...
Old 03-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks!
I wanted to mount the feets separate from the seats so it would be simpler to change seats when/if it came time to do so and I've been wanting more height for awhile now- this just seemed like something that would accomplish both.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner
Finally, that other ball joint- with help from the master tech...

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

99 4Runner-
Left upper control arm. It were bent afore we bought it but drove straight. Hubby did this one with a junk-yard control arm-

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Hab, idk if i like your runner or you more... i wish my lady would wrench on my truck with me... your awesome!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! You know there's a ton of men who simply don't like to or don't feel confident enough to try fixing anything either but yeah, women spend a lifetime being told they can't or shouldn't. I hope your wife decides to wrench with you sometime too, it's good to know what goes on under the hood whether you're a girl or guy. I like to work side by side with my husband, especially like today when we each have our own project- then he doesn't try taking over what I'm doing. I'm slower and more patient, a lot of times figuring as I go, he's more confident and quick. I don't like it when he butts in and tries to take the lead when he thinks I'm too slow, but he's learning.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Just on the off chance.....

Does anybody want feet-less 96 4Runner seats? Approximately 240,000 actual miles on the Drivers side, but I rarely have a front passenger. Driver's side is beyond help, passenger side is actually half decent but for stains on the butt part (from a plant I was transporting, I don't drive that crazy) and bike grease on the back of the head rest. I think all the plastic is good on the passenger side and all but the part nearest the driver's door is good on the driver's seat. Grey w/blue threads. I'm keeping the seat feet plastic covers, oh, and the feet too. these have rails, NO FEET.

FREE, but I'm not shipping them. Trash man gets 'em next week.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

99 4Runner

Nothing big, just an alignment after the upper control arm install.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Just ordered an Aisin clutch kit from WabFab, great service as usual. Thanks Brian!!!

Intend to tackle this sometime in the next few weeks. I've never done a clutch before so chime in if y'all have tips and if you know of a good write up even more better!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Hey hab how goes it? Spring must be clutch season... I'm getting mine done too... getting a balanced and gas vaned flywheel to go with a centerforce clutch. I'd go OEM but it's just to much $ now a days...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

I thought WabFab's price was good but my main motivator for OE is my arthritic knees!
I was trying to decide on whether or not to just get a new flywheel or resurface the one I've got. You're getting a flywheel because of the Centerforce clutch or???

The clutch itself seems fine but the throwout bearing talkin' louder and more persistently as time progresses. I've been hoping it'd wait until Spring 'cause it's warm and the 4Runner no longer fits in the garage.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

And who was ogling my blue 4Runner while driving his own white 3rd gen with what appeared to be a Gobi rack and ladder down Manchester ??? Nice truck!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
I thought WabFab's price was good but my main motivator for OE is my arthritic knees!
I was trying to decide on whether or not to just get a new flywheel or resurface the one I've got. You're getting a flywheel because of the Centerforce clutch or???
Nah my clutch has been slipping for so long the flywheel is probably chewed up (I was driving around somewhat overloaded for over a year due to work)
my mech. recommended planning for a new one and told me about his gas vaned and balanced ones and it sounded like a plan.
Basically he takes a flywheel to a machine shop and they machine it smooth then add the vanes (just like a gas vaned brake) then it goes on a precision balancer similar to a wheel balancer except this one tells them where and precisely how much material to drill out. The result is a perfectly balanced, lightened flywheel that runs cooler with better grab that can handle heavier loads while extending clutch life.
Based on how it was when I had to use it the other day I think there may be just enough clutch left to drive it to the mech.
wish me luck

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread