Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The weather your having has sure put a kink in my plans the past couple weeks ugh.
I'm with rw, stay away from the spray foam, it is easy to work with but like he said it holds moisture and also shrinks over time, welding in a patch would be best but fiber glass would be my next choice for sure.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
The weather your having has sure put a kink in my plans the past couple weeks ugh.
I'm with rw, stay away from the spray foam, it is easy to work with but like he said it holds moisture and also shrinks over time, welding in a patch would be best but fiber glass would be my next choice for sure.
I guess you are getting more than your normal share of slippery stuff this year? Ugh indeed.
Didn't consider welding in a patch, either....I am loving this input!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
We got a few inches last weekend and an icy dusting this weekend. It's been so cold the stuff has stuck around. S'posed to be a hot one tomorrow- just above freezing. After than just cold cold cold until Sunday. We need the moisture, but I'm okay with rain and give you the snow! It keeps happening on weekends, too, so not even some snow days. -10 windchills and still no days off or even delayed start. I've been driving the kid down to the bus stop 1/2 a block away because of the temps and wind. Maddening!

Poor ol' redtop is hanging in there. Slow to start, but often doing it. Today it got help from the yellowtop. Hopefully an irresistible battery special comes along!
Sorry bout the weather woes, Hab.... It's pouring some much needed rain here at the moment.

Love my DieHard Platinum AMG ... made by Odyssey batteries, or at least it was/should still be.... It's been really good to me over the last year or so, in spite of all of the heavy draw accessories.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the recommendation Chef! I've got a Ruffstuff Optima box so I'll be taking my chances with another. Silly 9 year old red-top still starting the truck almost every time. Wish they still made them like that!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Today I pulled a Chevy Colorado and loaded tool trailer out of some muck and up a small grade. No problem.

Also got to work fitting the OBA into the rear cargo area...bracket is done and in, mounting is mostly figured out for the compressor:

Also drilled a hole to run the braided line through, need to get a grommet for it before I can mount the compressor....

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice going on the compressor project progress. Lookin' good!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks rw! Not much today, washed the salt off, went bike riding while waiting for it to dry, painted rust hole with rust converter to better protect until a patch can be made. Inspection with a mirror shows the rust to be confined to that area. Never did find an alternative way to get into that space. When I ran water up in there nothing in the truck got wet, just the same water coming out along the pinch weld.

FINALLY getting some reasonable weather- might actually get stuff done. Skids are being painted by the hubby and installed on the 99. Satin black. Whew! Gonna make it to that 13th anniversary after all.

(Don't worry dear, who else would put up with me??? Wait, that sounds desperate! Who else would enjoy putting up with me? Well, mostly. Sometimes. Occasionally. With enough bribes. I give up... )
Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha! I said black, I think....missed the satin part tho.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hope we have seen the last of snow and maybe the cooler weather will be gone soon. Sorry to see the rust, it seems like it can happen over night. A little blister is larger then what it appears when you get the paint off of it. Get past the rust and into some good metal or it will come back. Luckily you have caught it early enough.

Your OBA is looking like a nice setup you have going on. Liked seeing that you were able to pull the truck out of the ditch with no problems. Congrats on the 13th anniversary. We just did the 13 year mark. Ours is on the 4th and see we weren't the only ones in March. We sometimes wished we would of waited until the summer as it would be easier to go somewhere when the kids are out of school and let the grandparents keep them. Still 13 years seems like it was yesterday. Time needs to slow down a little.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-09-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am on my laptop and it did a double post. I need to just shoot it and put it out of its misery. I did see a green 3rd gen today and those are some great looking trucks and reminded me of your hubbys runner.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-09-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Ha! I said black, I think....missed the satin part tho.
Black. It's the new all those other colors.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hope we have seen the last of snow and maybe the cooler weather will be gone soon. Sorry to see the rust, it seems like it can happen over night. A little blister is larger then what it appears when you get the paint off of it. Get past the rust and into some good metal or it will come back. Luckily you have caught it early enough.

Your OBA is looking like a nice setup you have going on. Liked seeing that you were able to pull the truck out of the ditch with no problems. Congrats on the 13th anniversary. We just did the 13 year mark. Ours is on the 4th and see we weren't the only ones in March. We sometimes wished we would of waited until the summer as it would be easier to go somewhere when the kids are out of school and let the grandparents keep them. Still 13 years seems like it was yesterday. Time needs to slow down a little.
Yeah, rust bites. I knew there'd come a day here in the rust belt with the 96 being my daily driver, but it's still painful to see.

So far I'm pretty pleased with how the OBA is working out other than I haven't got it done yet. Just hope that rear panel doesn't get hit- there's not much room between the outside and the compressor- couple-few inches of dent room, maybe.

We share the 4th with you guys (happy anniversary!), but haven't made it there yet, it's July 4th for us. Everybody in the country throws a huge party for us every year, with fireworks and all the trimmings!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was in Neosho yesterday and seen a 3rd gen like yours. I see third gens all of the time but something that is kind of rare is your color of a third gen. I see red 3rd gens like mine but they are the early model 3rd gens and very few green ones in the early or late model. Just surprises me at how many I do see and how unique they actually are.

Once in a blue moon I will see a purple and still haven't seen the sandstone colored one. Seeing one like yours is actually the first time I have seen one.

Lol ^^^.. We weren't important enough to get everybody to celebrate our anniversary.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-10-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

I saw one horizon blue metallic (purple) 4Runner, it was cool! Have seen only a handful on azure blue pearl (mine). The mint green colored one was weird looking (don't know the actual color name) and autumn blaze metallic is one of my favorites.

Broke my collarbone in Neosho. All I can say is the ground there is hard. At least, I think so. I don't actually remember that part.

I am absolutely sure you are too important enough! It just takes all year for them to recuperate after celebrating ours, sorry about that.

Washed and waxed the blue truck yesterday, thus the rain, rain and more rain. Looked at the sill on the green truck. Makes the blue truck's rust look like child's play.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Just catching up, nothing really to ad. Except purple is my favorite color and if mine were that color I never would have wheeled it, ok we know that isn't true but!!!!!!

Hope you're enjoying the nicer weather. I know I am.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I think I heard something a little like that with the Anthracite 4Runner...
I am loving the warmer weather, yes! Doing more work trying to fit a round compressor into a square hole and kinda getting somewhere with it.

and on an unrelated note:
Somebody's car caught fire (a little bit).
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Compressor's in. It clears- barely in some places. Wonder if it'll rattle against a couple spots when it's running? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Black line is the air intake, clear tube is the sunroof drain (will have to watch to see if it needs some heat protection), braided steel line is the air line. It's on an old bracket I had laying around, used some aluminum bits also laying around and part of an old intake hose off Tom Celica for an isolator.

This is new territory for me. Next up, drill holes for the air line to exit to the underside and also for the wiring to do the same. Find spot for air tank (thinking between where the spare tire winch is and the panhard bar). Get pos distribution thingy and wire up. Modify rear cargo panel. Think about those computer fans, need for and placement.
It's getting there. I'm thinking a not-too-dense foam block should go into the air vent under the compressor, to keep dust from going up in there too much.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Compressor install looks great, almost like toyota made that spot just for it. Someday I may be putting mine there if I can ever decide what type of OBA I want. If I had just bought a purple runner in the first place I wouldn't have all these frustrating decisions to make lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Compressor install looks great, almost like toyota made that spot just for it. Someday I may be putting mine there if I can ever decide what type of OBA I want. If I had just bought a purple runner in the first place I wouldn't have all these frustrating decisions to make lol.
If you had a purple 4Runner you'd get things like vacuum cleaners for Christmas.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Been a busy spring break. 5 days in the woods, of course, a couple at the Science Center (amazing and FREE, if you're ever in St. Louis), and today- Work On Vehicle Day!

Hubby replaced the battery in the 63 (the one that, you know, caught fire recently), put a radio in Tom Celica and changed the oil in the 99, installing a Fumoto valve to ease future oil changes when his skids are on. He just painted the last one today so I guess it'll go on tomorrow if he's not worn through from building trail at Indian Camp Creek in St. Charles.

I got a bit done today, too.....
Old 03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Four 12mm bolts got this head knocker aka spare tire winch out of the way:

and then measure, make template, measure, mark, measure, mark again, measure, drill:

This next part was really difficult until I remembered the tranny jack! Oh, so much easier. Still glad for long skinny girl fingers, it's a tight fit up in there with 4 little bolts holding it all in:

And it's in! It's not as close to the exhaust pipe as it appears. The tank is angled downwards towards the drain valve. If it wasn't the pressure relief valve on top would not have fit- it clears the body by millimeters.

Fittings are in. Need to get a couple of parts and figure out where to put the gauge and switch and get the wiring done. Found a grommet under the compressor to pass the wiring through to the outside of the body, that was a bonus.

Also need to get this panel sorted out. The plastic air vent thingy will be taken off and a hole cut (gasp!) in the panel where the compressor is.

Any ideas, constructive criticism, thoughts are welcome as usual.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread