Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dem look like some heavy boxes
Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
I felt sorry for the UPS driver. Then I felt sorry for me. Definitely heavy.

Somebody made a point about the need for skids on the 99

Luckily for him- he was going to get a vacuum cleaner for Christmas (I'm not near as good at this as your wife is, Jason!) but the above kinda made this more practical:

They're from Savage and are beefy. The only thing I would change about them so far is a lack of hole to access the oil pan bolt. We may use my skids as a template to create a hole, otherwise you have to drop that section of pan (4 sections total) every time you want to change oil. I think he does his around every 5,000 so maybe twice a year for that truck. That's up to the hubby, how ever he wants to deal with it.

The other thing he has to deal with is what color??? That and having to wait until it's warm enough to prep and paint.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new skids look real nice!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

So far I've heard color ideas like lavender, mustard, glow-in-the-dark, pink, day-glo green, orange (I said carrot!), purple.......these aren't good reasons for divorce........

....are they?

Love my husband, no matter what color he chooses, like black. Black is a reasonable color.
(now he's gonna paint the skids pink just because of this post)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Lol ^^
Me suspects in the end they will be black or maybe green to match the rig.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL^^^^ I am not Mr Color Fashion, I am sure there have been a few times that I wore mix matched colors in public. As far as matching on a truck, I tend to go with the body color, black and maybe the interior color if it is a different color.

Where did that warm weather go? I want it to come back. Hope you are staying warm.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM

I tend to have a thing for yellow. But black would probably be best.

Hope you guys get some warmer weather soon, I don't mind the cold but the wet stuff and cold to go with it have made things a bit more challenging.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
YAYYYY! STUFF IN BOXES FROM BROWN SANTA! Lol
Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sexayyyy steel! Bring it over I will cut it out and weld in a reinforced access sleeve for the oil drain! haha
Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Lol ^^
Me suspects in the end they will be black or maybe green to match the rig.
Originally Posted by Terrys87
LOL^^^^ I am not Mr Color Fashion, I am sure there have been a few times that I wore mix matched colors in public. As far as matching on a truck, I tend to go with the body color, black and maybe the interior color if it is a different color.
Never underestimate the power of the hubby! Maybe he's colorblind and I just never noticed? He's having a great time throwing me off, methinks.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Where did that warm weather go? I want it to come back. Hope you are staying warm.
I'm going stir crazy! Trail build got cancelled. Went walking Saturday and shoveled the driveway out of boredom and hiking Sunday but NOT ENOUGH OUTSIDE TIME!!! Getting a little nutty. Can't even have my evening beer on the patio watching the sunset. I'm just not made of stiff enough stuff. Well, unless I want to hang out there for a couple hours, then I might be the stiff stuff!

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I tend to have a thing for yellow. But black would probably be best.

Hope you guys get some warmer weather soon, I don't mind the cold but the wet stuff and cold to go with it have made things a bit more challenging.
Considering what color your pickup is that's a good thing! I agree about the black, dark truck, dark windows, dark everything but wheels. Saw you had a bit of wait on 44. Glad it was only a wait. Springtime please!

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Sexayyyy steel! Bring it over I will cut it out and weld in a reinforced access sleeve for the oil drain! haha
That would be so sweet and I know you'd do it in a heartbeat despite all you've got going on, thanks Chef! It even started in Cali, now it's just going to have to stay stuck in MO.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Now we await the color....

Shovel the driveway??? So, you got some snow Hab? Here clear sky and 54 today....still clear and 34 at 9pm. We need the snow!!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

We got a few inches last weekend and an icy dusting this weekend. It's been so cold the stuff has stuck around. S'posed to be a hot one tomorrow- just above freezing. After than just cold cold cold until Sunday. We need the moisture, but I'm okay with rain and give you the snow! It keeps happening on weekends, too, so not even some snow days. -10 windchills and still no days off or even delayed start. I've been driving the kid down to the bus stop 1/2 a block away because of the temps and wind. Maddening.

Poor ol' redtop is hanging in there. Slow to start, but often doing it. Today it got help from the yellowtop. Hopefully an irresistible battery special comes along!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll trade you the cold weather. It's gotten up to the mid 80's here already. I'm nowhere near ready for it to break 100* anytime soon.

Skids look nice. Savage was my choice until I saw the deal on the schrockworks. I'm kind of surprised they don't have access to the drain.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
So far I've heard color ideas like lavender, mustard, glow-in-the-dark, pink, day-glo green, orange (I said carrot!), purple.......these aren't good reasons for divorce........

....are they?

Love my husband, no matter what color he chooses, like black. Black is a reasonable color.
(now he's gonna paint the skids pink just because of this post)
paint the skid plates so he sees blue and black, and you see white and gold... or vice versa
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JBurt
I'll trade you the cold weather. It's gotten up to the mid 80's here already. I'm nowhere near ready for it to break 100* anytime soon.

Skids look nice. Savage was my choice until I saw the deal on the schrockworks. I'm kind of surprised they don't have access to the drain.
Another weekend of nasty weather and more snow. WHY always with the weekends, WHY??? I can't get anything done. Whiiiiiine. Will trade until spring-like weather gets here! Ship the forecasted 6" of snow to rw, though I'm afraid it wouldn't be much to ski on.

Those Shrockworks have nice coverage, tank skid and all. Have you decided on a color yet?

Originally Posted by hrt4me
paint the skid plates so he sees blue and black, and you see white and gold... or vice versa
Ha, I saw that last night. All I saw was blue and silver. He still hasn't said what color...

I want to get my oba done, and the right hub cleaned and re-greased. Oh, and that rust hole ain't fixing itself, either.

One salty wound. The rust you can see where the paint flaked away from the hole as I pulled the rotten stuff off came with the past few weeks of salty roads from the cruddy weather. It's still solid where there's no hole, though.
We need to come up with a plan to fix that. It's under the rear door, near the corner. 'Bout the size of a half-dollar. It didn't look like much of anything, regular paint with a tiny rust stain on it, but my finger poked right through the paint and rust.
Cleaned it out as best I could. Now what? I don't see any access holes anywhere ('cept the new one ). When I sprayed water up into the hole it only drained out of the pinches near the front door, which I suppose, is how stuff got up in there to start rusting behind the paint. There were no chips in the paint where the hole started.
Any thoughts, advice? Put a grommet in the hole and make it an access so it could be hosed out and then paint the inside of the rocker as best as I can reach? Clean out and paint the inside, then seal the hole and maybe the pinch weld too?
Help?

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Get some good rust converter on the rusty stuff while your working on a plan.
My fix would be, cut the metal back to good metal, lay some fiber glass over it, mask and cover with bed liner our something similar " less body work with a textured product ", the mask and paint closer to body color or an accent color, just a thought. Good luck
Old 02-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Get some good rust converter on the rusty stuff while your working on a plan.
My fix would be, cut the metal back to good metal, lay some fiber glass over it, mask and cover with bed liner our something similar " less body work with a textured product ", the mask and paint closer to body color or an accent color, just a thought. Good luck
Thanks Jason, that makes sense. Was thinking of trying to get some rust converter up in there- I think it's been getting in through the pinch weld area so who knows what it looks like in there. Gotta find out if there's an access point too. Biggest problem with hitting it with rust converter is the cold- we've had a lot of it lately- and salt- lot's of salt with the freezing rains and snows. Supposedly around 6" by the time this latest storm is done. I should have hit it with something the day I poked into it, but I wanted to get a chance to clean it out better first (and let it dry good after hosing it out). Ever since it's been nothing but cold cold COLD.

I've seen some interesting stuff done with expanding foam.....get it cleaned out and painted inside as best I can, then foam it, carve a surface and paint? Never used the stuff before for something like this, though. I know fiberglass is tried and true...

I've got at least a week to get a plan sorted....suggestions mightily appreciated and considered. Feel free to tell me why my ideas won't work (and why)- this is my first rust hole fix attempt.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! The 6" of snow you sent was was received Thursday and Friday on the mountain. The weekend crowd will all leave and give me decent runs on Tuesday. We are 26 and clear here this am.

I have no experience with rust on a rig...only dealt with rust on my small boat trailer.

My 0.02... be careful with the expanding foam as it may hold water. On boats over the years, I've removed plenty of water logged spray in foam under seats, floatation spaces, etc.

Maybe some of the newer foams don't absorb any water?

BTW, more snow is needed here!

Last edited by rworegon; 03-01-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear you're getting some skiing in rw! Thanks for the info on the water log potential- that's something I did not know about or even consider!

Later today we're s'posed to get a little more snow and some ice, maybe rain after. More rain tuesday and maybe snow or ice wednesday. We used our cancelled trail build energy today to shovel a couple of neighbor's driveways and our patio. Gives us something to do and also to work up an appetite for the banana nut bread baking in the oven right now. It's not snowman snow- too powdery.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Banana nut bread, powdery snow, and a cup of coffee sounds great to me!

Todays view from the front window thanks to a nearby traffic cam as we are headed to another day in the 50's here:
https://tripcheck.com/popups/Cam.asp...n=2&camera=655 The cams temp sensor must be in the sun....it's 32f, not 68f at 8am on 3/1/15.

All this too nice weather has given me time to get my 12' fishing boat and trailer back online after sitting 15 years in the garage. Mid-April starts the spring Chinook run. Good eating if I can catch one.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread