Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
Hi Hab! Fun, and hopefully functional, little project. I wish we had a junk yard or two around here for fun little finds like you come up with there.
Blue sky? Warm? What's that? 39 and fog here all day. Bleah.
Was supposed to be a meteor shower early this morning, but it was still cloudy til 9am so we missed it. It clouded up again this evening.

I love junkyards. It's like garage sales, but with cool stuff.

I used a 9 volt to get the hood light to work tonight. Not super bright and it lights up the back of the engine more than the front, but it's alright. I'm thinking of leaving enough length of wire that I can pull it off the hood to make it hand held if needed. It doesn't replace a flashlight by any means. Maybe if I replace the bulb with an led....it's like a dome light bulb with the glass tube and metal caps.

Saturday we did some awesome trail building on the Berryman. It really makes a difference when you get an experienced team of builders together, we got a lot done. One of the guys was from the forest service in your neck of the woods. He's recently moved from there to here with his family.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey hab, I can't get mine to mix hot and cold, it's full on hot or move even slightly to the cold side and its full on cold. Burn up or freeze lol, tried researching it and haven't been able to find anything. Thought maybe you had dealt with it or something similar.
That....doesn't sound comfortable! It's not hard to get the center dash trim off, a/c button unplugged/pulled out, climate control knobs, then cc faceplate off, don't forget the two screws that hold the dash trim in at either side of the climate control. Pops off fairly easily, unplug clock/hazzards/lighter outlet/etc as you can reach them.
I wish I could tell you more, it sounds intriguing and blend door-ish. Considering where the heater core is I'd think the blend door wouldn't be terribly far away from the climate control....but I haven't put my eyeballs specifically on it, either. Maybe a search for blend doors will get you started?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Jason, I just remembered seeing something on the heater control valve....!

Start here first?

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The length of extra wire with a removable mount is a slick idea for the hood light. I might have to think about something similar.

Yesterday, the truck was running a bit rough. Pulled coils off....one has a split in the boot right about where it snaps into the spark plug. New Denso boots are on order.

My little recovery is about 95% done now. Hope for full release Friday. Yay!

Maybe a pic or two of the trail building progress sometime?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Glad yer trouble was an easy find and even gladder to hear you're healing well, I'll cross fingers for Friday freedom!

They took a bunch of pics but haven't posted up yet so I've got nothing from this build so far. I know I'm in some because they found it amusing to watch the lunch lady swing the pulaski.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hoping Jason saw post 2223...also hoping his troubles turn out to be that simple or simpler! I supposed I should have said that's in the engine bay, on the fire wall, front and center. Though you prolly already knew that.

Last edited by habanero; 12-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! Haha, you get too good with that Pulaski and you'll be on a summer fire crew.
I'm glad it was easy to find too....earlier this summer I was getting suspicious of that one boot.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Maybe a pic or two of the trail building progress sometime?
From the last Ozark Trail Association outing:

Hand benching using a pulaski (dirt with too many rocks for the rogue hoe), husbandio's using a mcleod

and having a little talk with what was left of an old tree

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

That's going to be a sweet trail.
Hopefully, the old tree yielded after the talking to without to much of a fight.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Hab,

I just finished skimming thru the thread but I must have missed the part where you told what was in the box?

I gots to know!

Really nice 3rd gen and your doing great work on it!!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM

awesome
Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

rw- that stump did eventually cry uncle. The Berryman used to be an IMBA epic trail until they changed the criteria. I think it's still a Hall of Fame trail. We've added about 2 miles to it over the past several years, much of it by hand. The trail was built by the CCC in the 30's, it's time it got some lovin'. Hope you're running tip top these days. Well, at least walking.

thefreqofnature- thanks for the compliment! Which box??? There's another one sitting in the living room right now and I'm not supposed to peek! It's not even wrapped!!! My husband might be evil...tell me no peeking! It's a good thing I'm better at not peeking than I am not eating all the cookies! I wanna know what's in that box!
(If it was the international box of mystery it was a front hitch. That's actually come in quite handy a number of times.)

scottrweeks- thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Things were totally worn out. Knew it was time to do something when I put camp showers in the rack, went to jump off the tire I'd stood on to reach and realized my feet were lightly trapped between the body and tire! Granted, there was a lot of weight in/on it, but Doh!

So this is as it currently sits, dirty unwashed little heathen that it is.....

Sonoran Steel System 1.2 lift
Michelin A/T LT285/75r16

And so it begins.
Howdy Hab,
Wanted to ask if you were satisfied with the SS 1.2 lift. Other than piecing a lift together to get the same lift as the SS 1.2, I haven't yet found one that suits my needs. Did yours include the LC coils for the rear? If its the same setup as the current SS 1.2 (http://sonoransteel.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=1), can you give me any input/opinion on the ride quality and parts durability?

Looks like fun was had by all on the Berryman Trail in Sept! I started a new position in August and have been nonstop since. Maybe next time.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Last edited by mindomission; 12-20-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added quote coding.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mindomission
Howdy Hab,
Wanted to ask if you were satisfied with the SS 1.2 lift. Other than piecing a lift together to get the same lift as the SS 1.2, I haven't yet found one that suits my needs. Did yours include the LC coils for the rear? If its the same setup as the current SS 1.2 (http://sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1), can you give me any input/opinion on the ride quality and parts durability?

Looks like fun was had by all on the Berryman Trail in Sept! I started a new position in August and have been nonstop since. Maybe next time.

Thanks and Happy Holidays
VERY satisfied!!! I've got around 70,000 miles and just over 5 years on it and it's still looks and feels good. Still all the original 1.2 parts. Great on-road manners which are important for my daily driver, very happy with it off road too. 'Bout time to replace the shocks, starting to feel that though it's not bad yet.
It's come a long way with various mods- I've not regretted the SS 1.2 ever during the whole evolution

It's basically the same kit as the newer version. I think Steve's changed shocks a couple of times since, as he finds solutions for a better ride when he's wheeling his own IFS 3rd gen.

I know it's pricey but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, both because of the product and the man behind the company.

Okay, I'll stop being a commercial now.

The Berryman workday was a really excellent build and we hung out by the fire at the Potosi house after. Great times. The spring OTA mega event has been posted, besides a few other builds before hand.

Happy Holidays and Happy Trails, paved and not!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Mindomission-

Thinking a little harder there's one thing I'll prepare you for- the cv boots will start leaking from the change in angle when you lift the truck.

Steve suggests hose clamps. I did eventually change out the half-shafts rather than reboot the more than 200,000 mile cv axles. Kinda regret not hanging onto the old ones. The first cv shafts had cheap chinese rubber that rotted within a year. The next set's fins rubbed themselves to death. That's when I did a boot stretch using wire and hose clamps (there's a more elegant way to do this, search 'boot stretch') and that did the trick. I have yet to (knock on wood) break a cv joint.

I've since changed to manual hubs, which also eases the uh-oh broken cv how do I get home question.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:46 PM

VERY satisfied!!! I've got around 70,000 miles and just over 5 years on it and it's still looks and feels good. Still all the original 1.2 parts. Great on-road manners which are important for my daily driver, very happy with it off road too. 'Bout time to replace the shocks, starting to feel that though it's not bad yet.
It's come a long way with various mods- I've not regretted the SS 1.2 ever during the whole evolution

It's basically the same kit as the newer version. I think Steve's changed shocks a couple of times since, as he finds solutions for a better ride when he's wheeling his own IFS 3rd gen.

I know it's pricey but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, both because of the product and the man behind the company.

Okay, I'll stop being a commercial now.

The Berryman workday was a really excellent build and we hung out by the fire at the Potosi house after. Great times. The spring OTA mega event has been posted, besides a few other builds before hand.

Happy Holidays and Happy Trails, paved and not!
Mindomission-

Thinking a little harder there's one thing I'll prepare you for- the cv boots will start leaking from the change in angle when you lift the truck.

Steve suggests hose clamps. I did eventually change out the half-shafts rather than reboot the more than 200,000 mile cv axles. Kinda regret not hanging onto the old ones. The first cv shafts had cheap chinese rubber that rotted within a year. The next set's fins rubbed themselves to death. That's when I did a boot stretch using wire and hose clamps (there's a more elegant way to do this, search 'boot stretch') and that did the trick. I have yet to (knock on wood) break a cv joint.

I've since changed to manual hubs, which also eases the uh-oh broken cv how do I get home question.
Thanks for great review! Knew about the CV boots, hadn't yet added the extended boots to the shopping list - thanks for the reminder. Truthfully, I'd be disappointed if Steve hadn't updated the shocks over time. Technology, materials, dampening, rebound, yada, yada. Also good to know that you'd do it again, same same. No better endorsement. I'm not hung up on the price, just want to make sure I'm getting what I want/need the first time 'round. Don't know if I have the room in my garage for a lot of spare parts! lol. The stock shocks are going and I'd like a little more travel and height, perfect chance to upgrade, but want the same ride quality. I like that the 1.2 has a lot of OEM components; maybe not OEM for the Runner but still Toyota and still high quality. the Bilsteins speak for themselves just not sure of their stiffness, or lack thereof. I'm calling Steve this week some time and chat with him, if I can. Thanks again, Hab. Haven't seen your emblem lately, too foggy!
Cheers, Randy
Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

mindomission- I'm sure you know it won't be the same since you're moving your center of gravity up a little bit, but it feels confident on the road especially as you adjust to it. Stiffer up front and softer out back.
I'm trying to remember my initial sensation as the truck's gotten a lot heavier (armor and junk) with a slightly wider stance and a tiny bit taller with the 1" body lift and way heavier tires. I remember feeling it was different but still being pleased on the first drive, feeling a tiny bit weird on corners. It was quick and easy to get used to.

Last edited by habanero; 12-20-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:00 AM

The front is rather floppy right now. Not terribly loose just doesn't dampen and rebound like good shocks should. Firm up front is good, just don't want jarringly firm. I studied your yardstick photos on your first page. Almost 4" lift all around? Is this before or after BL?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mindomission
The front is rather floppy right now. Not terribly loose just doesn't dampen and rebound like good shocks should. Firm up front is good, just don't want jarringly firm. I studied your yardstick photos on your first page. Almost 4" lift all around? Is this before or after BL?
It was stock with 31" tires with only the lift *but* it's a 96 (second lowest only to the '02) and it was seriously completely worn out. Steve says about 2.5 up front and 3 in the rear once settled. A 99 Highlander would show less before and after because of its stock height.

Just measured as it currently sits- 38 1/2 front and 40 rear. That's with 33" tires, 1" body lift, skids, sliders, dual batteries, roof rack and lights and 33" spare in the cargo area, no spare underneath.
For giggles the 99 with 32" tires and 1" body lift but stock otherwise = 36 1/2 all around.

Firm yes, jarring no.

Last edited by habanero; 12-21-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Don't know if this will work or not, but I just ordered
http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-an...t-/186722_0_0/
Castrol synblend 5w30 for $1 a qt, free shipping and $25 GIFTME gift card (purchase over $100 for the gift card). Changing the oil in 6 vehicles, at least some of them can use it.

Waiting to see if they'll honor the deal...

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread