Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
Dang it! I just lost a long reply.... So, short version: New Kenwood looks great...you'll find a color to blend in, sorry about the R&P - another A1 replacement?, that is the look of determination or "I just want to be done!" haha, high temp is near 100 here for tomorrow with 20% humidity....100 HI sounds miserable. Stay hydrated!
Hate it when that happens! It's the humidity that gets us here, like soup sometimes. At least we aren't deep south so not complaining- much.
That's the look of....me? I'm doing what I like so I'm prolly just concentrating. It's the 'dour' German in me.

Originally Posted by hrt4me
I have not heard of the SanDisk Clip Sport mp3 player, do you like it?
What are some of the songs on your playlist?

wish I were back home, then I would come wrench with you because my own '96 SR5 has the same symptoms..

yes, as a matter of fact, I do know that because I sit upright in that space fairly often, particularly now that my matching spare is on the SW bumper's swing-out tire carrier and no longer underneath
So far the Clip Sport been great. It's cute and cheap but it'll accept mini SDHC cards if I run out of room and so far it works well for me. There might be better ones and definitely nicer looking ones, but this one fits my purpose and almost my price range best. I've got a lot of my cds in it now and am going to work on playlists this morning on the pc. My taste is eclectic though it tends to run bluesy no matter the genre:
Beethoven
Patsy Cline
Lords of Acid
Mudvayne
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Billie Holiday
Alison Kraus
Guess Who
Crosby Stills and Nash
Harry Nilson
Doc Watson
Black Sabbath
Nine Inch Nails
Cake
Gaelic Storm
Drifters
Garbage
Jim Croce
Limp Biskit
Masters of Reality
Soundtracks for Pulp Fiction, Fiddler On The Roof, Slumdog Millionaire, Nutcracker, Romeo and Juliet, American Grafiti
Way more, but I'll stop now. One thing I wish I could find in a form I could download is Word Jazz. Hmmm, I wonder if anyone digitized it yet? Something to search for....

Seems like a lot of racks are starting to leak and fail on 3rd gens. Age and mileage...
We could have a rack replacement party! Really, they aren't that fun to replace.
Step 1: Go OE or try another reman? (research needed)
Step 2: Drop skids, remove diff drop and replace a bolt to raise diff, Gosh darn stinkin' power steering lines, getting stuff lined up well enough, don't forget to secure the steering wheel. Pop off outer tie rod ends, 4 bolts for the rack itself is all...
Step 3: Put tie rod ends on new rack, line everything up carefully stick in there, slap all back together, get aligned.
If the lower control arm bushings needed replacing this would be a good time to pull them too, since pulling tie rod end, loosening rack and alignment are all part of that job. Mine, however, are still fine fine fine.

My spare is in the cargo area until I figure out which (Savage, I'm pretty sure) bumper.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

OMG OMG OMG I can get Word Jazz!!!!

Last edited by habanero; 07-27-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
My vote is a brand stinkin new OE rack. That rebuilt rack was crappy from the start. I think it's mostly new seals, some new boots, and a slathering of paint. You already had to replace that bushing on it.

Get a new OE rack, it will last 200K miles like the original one did.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote, not that is matters, is for a OE rack. That's what I put in mine as a replacement 5 years ago. Although, I suspect mine may have been a factory reman...I'd have to check the part number on the receipt.

Hab, you said 'dour' German look and I thought it....it's a look I've seen before on my German friends face. Yup, it comes out when she is concentrating too or I have pestered her too much. I'm 1/2 Dutch so I may have the 1/2 first cousin dour look at times too.

I spent a month in Boston in June/July 1995.....humidity about killed this high desert guy.

Noticed Fiddler on the Roof on the play list...just watched it yesterday afternoon as one niece was a village person singer and another on the paint and set change crew for the community theater where they live. It was good.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-27-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Of course it matters! I know I should (have done) do an oem rack, but stupid how much it is! Be nice if we could find a low mileage rack in a yard around here. Heck, a rack of any kind around here would be a start!

The dour look can be annoying because people sometimes think I am mad when I am not. Sometimes I am just thinking about something. And sometimes I am not.
German, Austrian, Russian Jew, English, couple of kinds of American Indian, mutts of other stuff and I get the face. :/ Yeah, that face. My dad's Dutch friend is similar too, though he doesn't quite have it down to that Germanic level. Then again, I have never seen Hans in 'paint mode' either (artist).

We are hot/humid again today, but only 94 so far with 61% humidity and clouds in and out. Gotta love the clouds.

Fiddler is excellent. Would love to see it on stage sometime.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Just checked....the part number for the rack ended in -84 so it was a OE reman.

Wow! Cool bit of heritage you have there. You have lots of traditions and holidays to select from if you so choose. My other 1/2 is likely English with a tiny bit of who knows what else. My last name is quite common in England which was strange to see when I was there in 2002. It was in town names, waterways, out of the way places, big cites, on libraries, on hospitals...
Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Parts guy couldn't find a reman version of the rack- or maybe that's what he was looking at- he's sorta new there. Guess I'll have to wander back over, double check with one of the other guys. I do like my old guys 'cause they're nice, they're used to me and they get me the right parts. I'll keep giving new guy chances though, because that's how he'll become old guy.

96 4Runner 266,450 miles
Oil Change
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

From what I can tell, the reman for your year of 4Runner has been discontinued by Toyota. I come up with P/N 44200-35042-84 and 44250-35040 for the new one. Do those sound right?

When I'm back on the computer, I'll add a link that is helpful in tracking down common part numbers. You guys will find it handy if you don't already have it.

Linky: http://www.toyotapart.com/Toyota_Fas...ts_Catalog.pdf

and more fun: http://www.toyotapart.com/4Runner-Te...formation.html

Last edited by rworegon; 07-27-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Cool! Thanks rw! New parts guy is getting better at the game then.

Here's what I ended up with:
http://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.c...inion-assembly
I wanted to go local but this one's way cheaper even with shipping so I can't justify the extra expense as much as I'd like to.

Hopefully it's good. It seems Toyota has superseded to the newer style rack with the solid guide. It's the same number for the newer 3rd gens too. I'll know for sures when I get the thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

And, you can return the core to your local dealer or so I've been told.
I saw the updated part number.....hope it has all the good improvements.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! How goes it?
New meats went on the Tacoma today: GY Wrangler Duratracs 31x10.5x15
Need snow to test them out!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Bet those shoes look good on the truck rw!

It goes good. The weather's been amazing. Windows open, listened to a great horned owl last night. Haven't heard one in awhile, mostly been barred owls. Rode the tandem for the first time in an embarrassingly long time today, 26 mile quicky felt good. I'll be paying for it tomorrow, prolly.

Waiting on the rack and pinion (friday). Will need to drop the skids again and borrow a tie rod end tool from the zone. I'll post up pics when I get it (rack, not tool).
I'm hearing a chuffle somewhere under load. Very slight, but it's there. Need to get in and take a good look at the upper end of the exhaust at some point. It's small enough that it could take awhile to find it, I think.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Stuff a rag in the tailpipe at idle. If the leak is enough to worry about, the car will keep idling and the chuffle will be blowing enough exhaust to make it a lot more obvious.

If the rag is enough to kill the engine, don't worry about the leak, it's too small.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it's that bad....yet. You know how I like to fuss over it though (find reasons to get greasy).
Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

I've been told that clicking the 'Remember Me' box next to the user name when logging in help stop getting logged out while composing a post/PM. Guess I'll try it.

Whatcha' doing to get greasy today??
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Does school supply supplying count?

So I ordered a rack and pinion for the 96 on 7/28/2014. Brand new rack, not reman, for a decent price:

Shipment Details
Part Number 44250-35042
Part Name GEAR ASSY
Total $511.90
Shipping (UPS - Ground): $33.85
Total: $545.75

Company Information
EB TOYOTA PARTS,
620 South Washington St.
North Attleboro, Massachusetts, 02760
USA
1-866-574-2624
info@bochtoyotasouthparts.com

Got a box today...

Well, maybe it's not packaged the best. That, or UPS mistook the brown color to mean football?

No worries, it's always what's inside that counts, right?

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, what was inside was hanging a little on the outside too. Luckily it appears to be in great shape despite it's prison break attempt.

And Toyota has indeed superseded to the 'inny' nut of the newer style guide for our older 3rd gens. Happy day!

I'll take some pics when swapping out the rack, hopefully sometime in the coming week.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, school supplying counts in the doing of the mom duties for sure.

That is some rough handling. Edit: typing while pics came up....looks good to go, yes? Nice and shiny. Greasy day soon! lol

Last edited by rworegon; 08-01-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

The lines are unbent, boots unscuffed and not torn and it does look to be all good. Now I've just got to find time to get it in there and get the alignment done. Raining now (thank goodness, we need it).
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Not another long disappearing missive again, RW? Why is it the more one writes the more likely it will zap into the great unknowing?

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread