Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiddleplayer247
what benefit does the triple stick transfer case give? i know a twin stick allows to go into 4lo in front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive, or full 4wd, and it also allows for normal 2wd operation, as well as high range front wheel drive......

so what is the third stick for? or am i missing something?

Thanks!
It keeps me from spilling my "drink" because i get to keep my cup holder. :flipoff2:

Oh, and if I still had an Ebrake, then it would allow the room for it in the center console.

When guys run dual cases, it pushes the rear shifter(Single shifter) or twin sticks(two shifters) 6.5" further back. This keeps it in the stock location.

This setup will work just like a twin stick. So you get a high, low, and double low 2wd if/when you need it.

The middle shifter is the crawl box.
The left shifter is the rear case low range.
The right shifter is the 2wd/4wd shifter.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC

This is the only concern. The crank mount to the front, so I will need to make sure I leave access to it when the box is full built.

I plan on building the rest of the box next week. The rack itself is only tacked in place since I need to add some bracing to the frame before its fully welded on.
you should just rig up an electric motor to operate the crank, then you wouldn't even have to unpack everything to raise the tent
Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
you should just rig up an electric motor to operate the crank, then you wouldn't even have to unpack everything to raise the tent
I am actually considering that. It would even allow me to center it and use it for a stabilizer jack when camping too.

I will need to extend my stabilizer jacks on all four corners anyway.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 PM

So, I got the tires on it. I built some custom spring hangers since finding u-bolts to fit a 1.75" tube that were long enough was going to be impossible. So, I took a page from my old All-Pro days and built some custom perches that allow me to bolt the springs on.

So, I have about 24" of ground clearance now. So, I feel pretty confident that I can get this trailer pretty much wherever I need to get it. It should definitely make for some interesting campsites at this point.

I still need to finish the front deck portion to add some side rails and stuff and potentially an 12V jack for the tongue.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:16 PM

always making things look amazing while making them fully functional offroad gotta love it
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Finally got tired of laying on my back working on rigs.

Its an Atlas 10,000lb capacity overhead lift. Extra wide, extra tall.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, congrats
Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 AM

So, after 9 months of DD use and watching the rig settle all the way down to 22-1/4" frame height I noticed how it was bottoming out a little too much, so I swapped in some stock Land Cruiser front coils into the rear. I ended up still having to cut out one wrap to get the ride height where I wanted it, but its much better now. Then I swapped in the 12" 275lb coils up front in place of the 10" ones. Then I cranked up the coilover another inch so its level.

The LC coils are a lot softer than the 851s, so I do get some more body roll, but nothing to be too concerned over. I'll snap some pics today of the frame height. I bet I am now around 23-1/4"
Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Went to Moab last week. Things went pretty well. I hosed an inner axle seal on the rear Diamond (not a big deal considering it has 16,000 miles on it. And, I managed to damn near rip my DS front link crossmember mount off the frame. Plain and simple is that it didn't have enough surface contact on the frame. That has been remedied.

All in all it was a good trip. Mainly scenic stuff except for a hot lap up Green Day. We ran Gemini Bridges on Thursday, Fins & Things on Friday, and Green Day out in BFE in about an hour on Saturday.

I towed the pop-up all the way there over I-70 with no issues at all. In fact, my buddy Brian has an 02' xtra cab taco 5spd and less weight and he had a harder time keeping up.

I also picked up a future project while I was out there. I'll need to fix and few things on it, but overall its a good base for a pickup style chassis already on a frame.

Oh, and I will post some pics tomorrow when I get to the shop. I uploaded them to that computer this morning, but didn't have time to post anything.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice chassis Scotty!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Well, I just got done with a tear down and inspection on the rig.

Turns out that the rear upper pinion bearing was starting to make some noise. Pretty sure that I hosed it when the inner seal in the Diamond let lose last month in Moab. This is the first chance I've had to get it up on the rack to take a look at everything really close.

While I was at it, the reduction portion of the crawl has had a crack in it since I installed it just above one of the bolt holes. One of those that you can't see when building it, but gear oil will seep through. :shaking: I have been band-aiding it long enough. Its just a very minor bleed type of leak, but I wanted it gone. So, I built a new crawl box for it.

The adapter and guts will end up in Hunter's rig anyway, so no loss there.

I have a few other projects I need to get handled on it as well over the next few days/weeks.

1. An actual gas gauge. (I still cannot get the factory gauge to work at all)
So, I ordered a Autometer for the Ford tank. I will still need to pull the sending unit and move the float arm back into the stock location.

2. Wire up the Air/Fuel gauge. The O2 is already in the exhaust, but it needs to be wired in still.

3. Swap back on the stock supercharger pulley. The 2.2 boosts too much/fast for DD use IMO.

4. A tire carrier of some sort. Its likely just going to be a hitch mounted version that I can leave in camp.

I am really wanting to get out to CA this year to run either Rubicon or Dusy. We'll see how it all goes at this point.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Hunter even got some seat time.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I see your still roughing it at camp! Just joking, thats a nice motorhome. How well does it tow the rig?

Looks like you guys had a great time on Chinaman's. I can't wait to run it in the new rig, I'm starting to go through wheeling withdrawal.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
I see your still roughing it at camp! Just joking, thats a nice motorhome. How well does it tow the rig?

Looks like you guys had a great time on Chinaman's. I can't wait to run it in the new rig, I'm starting to go through wheeling withdrawal.
Yeah, well, its my Mom's RV. She is actually flying out to drive it back to VA in a few weeks. She decided she wanted it back since she is planning on selling her house out there and moving either here or to CA with by brother.

So, I'll be roughing it in the pop-up again for the Jambo.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Yeah, well, its my Mom's RV. She is actually flying out to drive it back to VA in a few weeks. She decided she wanted it back since she is planning on selling her house out there and moving either here or to CA with by brother.

So, I'll be roughing it in the pop-up again for the Jambo.
Well it's a good thing you held on to the pop-up. I still think the pop-up is a sweet set-up, it has all the elements of camping without really roughing it.

Have you switched back to the stock supercharger pulley yet? I was curious about the power / driveability differance between the stock pulley and the 2.2 with the 7th injector kit.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Well it's a good thing you held on to the pop-up. I still think the pop-up is a sweet set-up, it has all the elements of camping without really roughing it.

Have you switched back to the stock supercharger pulley yet? I was curious about the power / driveability differance between the stock pulley and the 2.2 with the 7th injector kit.
Yes, I switched it over right before the trip. You definitely feel the difference in boost. But, for me, the stock pulley is going to be better for DD use IMO. Especially when towing the pop-up. I just didn't like how fast it boosted under normal load.

That and I saw an immediate difference in MPG with the change.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 AM

this thread is going to make me go broke! I plan on ordering a tube bumper from you guys soon.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Well, its officially for sale:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997195
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Hey Scotty, your sale post led me here to your amazingly thorough build thread. I checked out your website and the Front bumper was easy enough to find but the only rear bumpers I found looked to be the trail gear models. When/is there going to be Addicted's models up for sale? Now THOSE (like the one seen on this rig) are some rear bumpers worth buying imo.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by EightyEightJoRunner
Hey Scotty, your sale post led me here to your amazingly thorough build thread. I checked out your website and the Front bumper was easy enough to find but the only rear bumpers I found looked to be the trail gear models. When/is there going to be Addicted's models up for sale? Now THOSE (like the one seen on this rig) are some rear bumpers worth buying imo.
The model on my 3rd gen would only be for a 3rd gen. I don't have anything for the earlier trucks because there is no use in trying to compete with TG at their prices. That bumper on my 3rd gen runs $599 installed on the truck itself.

Quick Reply: Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"