Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
freakin sweeet.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so my jaw has been sitting on the floor for about 11 pages now. I just got done installing an OME lift and I WAS tickled pink with it........ until I saw this. now I am sad again. lol. amazing work man!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SoloRunner
Ok, so my jaw has been sitting on the floor for about 11 pages now. I just got done installing an OME lift and I WAS tickled pink with it........ until I saw this. now I am sad again. lol. amazing work man!
Well, if its any consolation, I loved my old OME lift on the silver one. And, I will be running OME Springs in the rear of this rig.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Cleaned up under it to snap some pics. Gonna start tearing down the rear end this weekend since the rear Diamond should be here next week.

Full Droop

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so sick
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Today I needed to get everything done in prep for the rear install. So, I needed to get the 3rd row seat installed into this rig in order to be able to install the new F150 gas tank behind the axle. So, I spent the day doing that.

I've also had a few items that I need to add to the build list. These are Harbor Freight specials. $19/ea. Oil temp gauge that will be for the tranny temp, and a boost gauge for the supercharger. I am also going to order a scan gauge for the Air/fuel ratio display.

They will going into a dual gauge pod like this one:

I also have had this little winch controller that I got from Darren at 12VoltGuy around five years now. I got this when I was still at All-Pro, but have never used it. So, I think its about time to get it installed into something. So, I figure this would be great for the suck down winch in the back.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats just awesome lol i cant get over how sweet the coil over setup looks how much would that cost to do? im thinking of doing 3 link on my truck in the future instead of a basic leaf sas
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
thats just awesome lol i cant get over how sweet the coil over setup looks how much would that cost to do? im thinking of doing 3 link on my truck in the future instead of a basic leaf sas
It all depends on the parts you use, but its significantly more expensive to go with a 3-link and coilovers.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:07 PM

yea, yea.... now get back to work so we can see it done.. super good work.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Oh, and I fired up the motor for a few seconds today. First its been started since the supercharger went on. I had to install a new timing belt and water pump as well since neither had ever been done and with 144K, I wasn't taking any chances.

Also, when pulling the crank pulley off the motor it slipped off the crank easier than I thought it would and fell. It ended up breaking two small spots off the pulley, so I had to run out to the junk yard yesterday to grab another crank pulley off a 2000 Tacoma out there. While there I also grabbed the intake manifold off the same truck just in case I ever decide to ditch the supercharger.

Then while typing this, these showed up from Billybob.

Oh, and the triple rate setup showed up for the coilovers too.

Also, I am getting the power steering hoses converted tomorrow morning. So, that should be one more thing I can scratch off the list.

I still need to source the upper portion of the steering shaft at the junkyard and then weld the pieces together to covert it to the steering column.

But, once the steering is done, then the front suspension is pretty much done except for final tear down and painting.

I will decide if I need a sway bar up front after that. I am sure that I will, but will see how it handles without one first.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but are those 'droop straps' to keep the suspension from articulating too far?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
forgive my ignorance, but are those 'droop straps' to keep the suspension from articulating too far?
Yes. I don't want to pull the coilovers apart, so the limit straps limit the travel just before full droop.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM

I love Tubes N Hoses in Loveland. I stopped in with the four hoses I need meshed together and 15 minutes later walked out with these for $21:

Bolted them in place and now its time to move to the rear end.

Out with the old!

Old Man Emu 851's

New rear link brackets waiting on an axle.

Triple rate springs and sliders
Old 06-05-2010, 10:07 AM

can you explain the purpose of those unusual "springs" in the last picture
Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by paynemw
can you explain the purpose of those unusual "springs" in the last picture
They are "Tender springs". Basically, they help keep the other two springs tighter and keep them from banging around at full droop. This way I can crank the coilovers all the way up to lower the rig as much as possible.

They are 15in/lbs springs so you can compress them by hand to the max. So, at static ride height they are full compressed anyway. So, when I go to the 10" top springs instead of the 12" ones up front, I can lower the whole rig one more inch. This puts me exactly where I wanted to be at 23" frame height.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Got the gas tank gutted out. I will start cutting and grinding all the old brackets off on Monday. I talked to Brian yesterday and the Diamond should be ready on Tuesday or Wednesday to pickup. I want everything prepped and ready to immediately start on the rear when I get it.

So, I will make sure to have my Tcase crossmember welded in place by then now that the gas tank is gone.

Old Tank

F150 tank

Lots of room now!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Scotty,

The rig's looking good, shouldn't be too much longer until you get her out on the road/trail. That 3rd row looks pretty sweet. Have you fired it up yet? Keep me posted.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bbjenn
Scotty,

The rig's looking good, shouldn't be too much longer until you get her out on the road/trail. That 3rd row looks pretty sweet. Have you fired it up yet? Keep me posted.
Yes, I was able to start it after I did the water pump and timing belt. Only ran it for about 10 seconds, but that is because the power steering pump is empty and I didn't want to burn it up.

Scotty
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM

I just have to point out the HORRIBLE decision on Toyota's part! notice where the rear shock mounts on the top? PITA!!!!!! It took more work to remove those than the rest of my lift combined! (sorry for the thread jack, just had to vent cause that is a perfect view of them.) BTW, I am referring to the bottom pic, 2 posts above.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SoloRunner
I just have to point out the HORRIBLE decision on Toyota's part! notice where the rear shock mounts on the top? PITA!!!!!! It took more work to remove those than the rest of my lift combined! (sorry for the thread jack, just had to vent cause that is a perfect view of them.) BTW, I am referring to the bottom pic, 2 posts above.
I completely agree.

Quick Reply: Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"