Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

YotaJam 2003 is CANCELLED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. I wasn't going to be able to make the trip, but I sure was looking forward to someone posting a picture of 74 disorganized Toyota freaks posing in front of the Naches ranger station.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:45 AM

Talking Ranger Ricks Forest Hut

That would have been hiarious if we showed up at the ranger station for POSER pics. I could see Ranger Dick counting heads and getting mad once he got to that #74 (ME).
:pig:
Old 07-31-2003, 03:36 AM
Contributing Member

From now on, they are the Forest Disservice as far as I am concerned.
I've called them the Forest Circus for years. So what would happen if 75 Toyotas just happened to pick the same place to go camping for the weekend. Everyone could be on their own... I would keep Razzing the Circus and at the bare minimum get a straight answer and a legit reason for not getting the permit.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

More info from one of my chapter members and my thoughts on it...

Well, I just got off the phone with Mike at the
special permits office, and he mentioned the
following:

1. The permit takes 180 days to issue (damn!).
2. The impact to the area is based on 75 person-days,
not just 75 people.
3. It also includes an "environmental impact" clause
that allows the rangers office discretion over the
permits issued (unlimited discretion, it seems).
4. I asked if individuals could go up and use the
area, and the answer was yes, but it was the
"organization" that killed our event.
Well, lesson learned. I did what I could.

Does anyone still want to overnight there? Just a few
trucks, without organization? I cannot make the
23/24th run, but really want to run Naches. Kinda
need to know by this afternoon, as I have to pack.

Later,

Eric

The rules change to suit again... read the plain English rules for when a permit is needed at http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/permits/broch.htm.
Notice that it says NOTHING about 75 "person days". Also, I spent pretty much all of last night reading fs regulations and no where does it say that it takes 180 days to issue a permit. In fact, it says in one location, that the permit "shall be issued promptly".

I also learned last night that there are several events held in the area that are MUCH larger than us that the rangers know about, but do not require a permit for. As you mentioned, it would appear that the decision is up to the whim of the ranger station. They adapt the rules as they see fit.

Pretty sad for what it supposed to be "public land".

-Rob
Old 07-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Rob, this makes me angry as all hell.
So the FS lets in some groups, but has decided to attack the YotaJam for some political reason.

Gonna have to get me some stickers made up of a ranger truck with a slash through it, and put them on my bumper.

I want to state again that you guy's did a lot of hard work on getting this thing off the ground, and this jackass goes and tries to screw it over.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I really do want to thank everyone who has done soooo much to TRY and make this event happen.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Well, since I planned on taking Friday off anyways, I'm up for a run. I'd argue for going somewhere completely outside of that ranger district. Anybody up for Reiter Pit tomorrow? I've never been there, and it wouldn't be very crowded on a workday? Rob, are you thinking overnight Friday or Saturday at Naches?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM

I'd still be up for going overnight at Naches. I was going to leave today in the afternoon and stay throught the weekend. Anyone else?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Agreed Corey. This is a pretty blatant abuse of power on the part of the Forest Circus.

When I talked to Mike months ago, I was VERY clear with him what we expected of the event. I estimated 50 trucks or so and made it clear that there was no money changing hands. I also made VERY clear that we would have some runs that we planned in advance, including the Naches, but that much of the weekend was to be spent hanging out, getting to know others and taking off on impromptu runs in the area. He was very clear that with those numbers, we would not need a permit and actually thanked me for giving him the heads up.

Talking to Shane last night, as he pulled into the site, the stragglers of last weekends group were pulling out. THEY had more than 100 (!) people in camp all weekend and the Forest Circus did not so much as bat an eye. Then with some phone calls, I have found several events with participation in excess of 100 that have been held out there so far this year and not one of them was shut down. One of the events attracted almost 400 people and was not even visited by the "rangers". A couple of those events are held annually and have never had any trouble with "permits".

This is a CLASSIC case of "Selective Enforcement", something that the Forest Circus has been accused of before... We were easy because killing this event did not even require them to leave their desks.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by oly884
I'd still be up for going overnight at Naches. I was going to leave today in the afternoon and stay throught the weekend. Anyone else?
Just a note on this subject, Shane is still up there holding down the site...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Well, since I planned on taking Friday off anyways, I'm up for a run. I'd argue for going somewhere completely outside of that ranger district. Anybody up for Reiter Pit tomorrow? I've never been there, and it wouldn't be very crowded on a workday? Rob, are you thinking overnight Friday or Saturday at Naches?
My plan is to head out during the day on Friday and not come back until Sunday afternoon.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, and all others involved in Yotajam planning, I'm truly sorry for having your good work reversed on the whim of an overreaching public employee chosing to play God. It's absolutely infuriating that they invent/interpret regs to suit their mood.

Clearly, many prospective attendees have incurred monetary damages and have solid grounds to sue for restitution in Small Claims Court. I'm seriously considering it, naming the rangers and their supervisors as defendants and co-conspirators (I'm not an attorney) for reimbursement of, among other things, a CB, tow strap, camping gear including tent, sleeping bag, electric cooler and cookstove, air pump, gasoline powered blender, and bug repellent. Ask for punitive damages, and it might reach the court's jurisdictional limit for each defendant.

Another alternative is to obtain a stay from a judge, but the cost would be prohibitive. Then finding a sympathetic judge who isn't busy closing down forests now would be another, maybe unrealistic, task.

Thanks to you and your team for your efforts. It's appreciated by everyone here. Hope you can unwind over the weekend.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:09 AM

QUOTE]Originally posted by WATRD

4. I asked if individuals could go up and use the
area, and the answer was yes, but it was the
"organization" that killed our event.
Well, lesson learned. I did what I could.
[/QUOTE]

Well I have gotten over the fact that this event is indeed canceled.

I have the next 4 days off as a mini vacation so I might as well take advantage of it.

I was thinking of taking in the sights of our beautiful evergreen state.

My plan is to take hwy 410. I have driven on this highway for years but I have only gone pass the Chinook Pass sign once or twice. For those of you who are unfamiliar with our highways, this road will lead you to our beautiful and majestic Mt. Rainier.
With the awesome weather we've been having. I hope to capture some awesome pictures of the mountain.

From there I think I'll go east. I hear this side of the mountains is breathtaking. This is where you will see the true Washington. Beautiful lush forest and never ending flowing rivers. In fact I might visit one of the more popular rivers, the Naches. There are some nice camping spots along the river. A place you can soak your feet in and enjoy the awesome sunshine we have this time of the year.

I hear there is a fellow member from the forum who is camping up there. I might try to catch up with him and see if he would like to do some sightseeing along the less traveled roads. Who knows, maybe we’ll run into Elk or deer. Boy, would that be exciting!

Well. This is my plan. It may not be the weekend I had hoped for. But, I’ll just have to make the best of it.

Peace

SMR4RUNNER
aka SMEGAL
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know what the rules are about suing an agency of the federal government, but I had been thinking the same thing.

In small claims court, you cannot compel witnesses to appear, but if anyone chooses to go this route, I volunteer my time to testify that Mike was accurately informed of the scope of our event and that he was very clear that it would not require a permit.

I don't know how or even if it can be done, but I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can.

I have inquired of my attorney as to the feasiblity of filing a lawsuit (not small claims) and he is looking into it, but I don't have any additional information at this time.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Smegal, That sounds like a great way to make the best of a terrible situation. You are an inspiration to us all. I have been through that area in the past and have some wonderful memories of the area.

My plans are similar, I hope to make the best of a weekend nearly ruined by the Forest Circus. Perhaps we will cross paths at some point in the future.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:04 PM

Well guys, I'm going right now. If you're going to be there I'll have my truck except I'll have the canopy on it. See ya there.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like we are not the first group to suffer through the Forest Circus' mismanagement. I just received this mail from one of the folks who was coming up for YJ

Rob,

I feel for you and would also like to add that this kind of attitude is not just in the Washington area. This past weekend I went camping and stopped at the ranger station and asked where campfires were allowed and what kind of roads could be traveled on. I received a list of places that were allowed to have camp fires and which were not. I also inquired if we could camp anywhere if no campfires were had. I was told by the ranger station that we could camp anywhere if there were no campfires and there were not any restrictions on road travel. I set up camp at a place with no campfire and was told the next morning I had to leave because the road that led to the camp was “not maintained for passenger car use”. I was then referred back to the list that I was given by the ranger station as to where I could camp. I chose one other place and asked the ranger face to face if I could have a fire there. The answer was yes and no problems existed. The first sign I see is “not maintained for passenger car use” that leads to Elk Lake. To add to this Sunday a ranger comes up and tells everyone “No campfires” with a letter dated seven days before I ever got there.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Pacific NW is getting a raw deal when it comes to our forests. Any help you need in protesting this I will also add my name too. I am tired of people taking away my forest. Those trees belong to us the public. It is truly sad when it becomes against the law for a small number of people to get together and enjoy the forest in a civil and responsible manner. Pass this along to those who you think need to know. You and I know that what happens in Oregon happens in Washington shortly and Vice Versa. Not to get all corny but we need to stand firm and tough and let our opinions be heard so they matter.

I would personally like to thank you for all the planning that you had put in for YotoJam 2003. I know planning something as big as this is an undertaking and a lot of hard work. I hope we get to meet another way sometime.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:13 AM

After re-reading this post I realised I forgot to thank everyone who put in the effort to organize this.. so I'll say it now, Thanks for trying.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

A reply from Ranger Randy... Finally...

He's still sticking to his original story...

File Code: 2700
Date: August 11, 2003

Mr. Rob Perin

Dear Mr. Perin:
I apologize for sending this via email, but I cannot locate a physical address to which I can send a hard copy.
We have received a number of comments about the “cancellation” of the Northwest Yotajam. First, it is not our policy or intent to deny legitimate use of National Forest System lands. Due to miscommunication, for which we will take full responsibility, we were unable to conclusively determine if the “Yotajam” was indeed legitimate in the time available to us. I apologize for the inconvenience our notification may have caused.

There are steps event organizers can take to significantly reduce the probability of situations like this one. Issuing a permit for a recreation event and many other types of special uses is much more rigorous than most proponents realize. Each proposal must be thoroughly evaluated for its effects on the environment and documented under the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act. In addition, proponents must provide proof of required insurance coverage and a plan for addressing safety, sanitation and operation of the event. Implicit in the operating plan is identifying locations and times that avoid conflicts with other events or activities. We host a number of recreation events each year, including large motorized groups. It may be necessary to utilize alternate dates or locations to avoid schedule conflicts. We advise organizers to present their proposals a minimum of 180 days in advance of their event. We have a large workload and that allows sufficient time to complete the analysis and make any adjustments well in advance of the event. In this case, the initial contact with the district was far short of the 180 days; therefore, it is unlikely a permit could have been issued under the best of circumstances.

The website you referenced concerning the criteria for requiring a special use permit addresses the major items in making a determination, but is not an exhaustive list. Having a complete proposal allows us to confidently determine if a permit is indeed required. Even for events that do not require permits, an advance proposal provides us the opportunity to advise organizers of potential conflicts and offer suggestions to make their experience more enjoyable.

In this case, the initial telephone contact described a loosely organized, local event—a few families and friends coming to the district to drive trails. We responded that a permit was not likely required, but encouraged submission of a proposal for review. No proposal was received. The Yakima County Sheriff’s Office brought the “Yotajam” website/bulletin board to our attention on July 29 inquiring if this event were permitted. Our review of the website gave numerous indications of a well-organized event that appeared to require a permit. Your prompt response to our inquiry about the nature of the event was appreciated, but there was insufficient time to conclusively determine the permit status of the event. We then advised you of our opinion that continuation of the event would likely constitute a violation of Federal Regulations.

There are multiple hundreds of thousand recreation visits to the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests each year. Balancing the growing demand for recreation opportunities with maintaining the environment that supports those opportunities is becoming increasingly difficult. We recognize our role as stewards of these lands and resources for all citizens of the United States. Implicit in that stewardship responsibility is vigilance for activities that could adversely affect those lands and resources. Events involving groups of users have the potential to alter conditions dramatically and quickly. Consequently, we try to give them appropriate attention. Occasionally, our assessment of a situation is incorrect—we do make mistakes. Given more time to review the situation, it is entirely possible I would have reached a different conclusion in this case.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that resulted. I trust that we have addressed your concerns. We would welcome the opportunity to host a future event. Your cooperation in establishing early contact and providing complete information will help assure proper processing and improve the probability of a successful event on National Forest System lands.

Sincerely,

Randall D. Shepard
RANDALL D. SHEPARD
District Ranger

cc: Anthony Hanses
David Olson
Ben Stauffer
Matt Albertson
Wade Young
Eric Corwin
David Bienvenue
I am working on my response, particularly since I have already escalated this beyond his district, but if anyone else cares to share your view points on this situation, his email is rdshepard@fs.fed.us

A couple of things stand out to my eye as indicators that we are actually getting through to him...

"Due to miscommunication, for which we will take full responsibility..."

"Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that resulted."

"Occasionally, our assessment of a situation is incorrect—we do make mistakes. Given more time to review the situation, it is entirely possible I would have reached a different conclusion in this case."
Considering the "stonewalling", inconsistancies and downright ignoring us that we have expereienced so far, I will consider this as progress, however slight.

Last edited by WATRD; 08-13-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:25 PM

Am I alone in trying to understanding his BLAH BLAH BLAHING? Its frikkin annoying. I wish he would get to the point instead of uh yeah uh yeah uh yeah uh im sorry uh i make mistakes uh im sorry uh i forgot to tell you in the first place about the 180 day rule and uh sorry i made up the story about blaming this on the Yakima County Sheriffs office that more than likely does not have jurisdiction up that far in the first place. UH! Ranger Dick, please go back to flipping burgers and leave the professional jobs to those of us that would not abuse the powers associated with them. You suck!

Quick Reply: YotaJam 2003 is CANCELLED!