Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

XM Radio....awesome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by loosehead
1. Which is better, cassette adapter or the FM modulator?
In terms of audio quality, from best to worst, it would be:
  1. Direct connect to aux inputs on the receiver
  2. If you have a head unit that can use a CD changer, then use a "PIE" or "Blitzsafe" adapter.
  3. Use an FM modulator
  4. Use the cassette adapter
Some notes...

If you're going to get an FM modulator, then BUY DELPHI'S. There is a "issue" with many installs of a background hiss when using an FM modulator. This can be "fixed" with a GLI (Ground Loop Isolator) but it has also shown to NOT be an issue when you use Delphi's FM modulator.

The PIE and Blitzsafe adapters will work with aftermarket head units as well as factory stock. Check here for one to fit your rig:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/pieauxinad.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/blauxad.html

2. Do you still need separate antennas(one for each car) with it?
Technically, you could move the car mount and the antenna between cars, but it can be a real pain. The antenna _REALLY_ needs to be mounted outside of the car, and the car mount is meant to be fairly permanent. The connector on the bottom of the SkyFi isn't easy to come by if you're thinking about making your own adapter. As well, I don't know if anyone's spec'd the pinouts just yet.

There's a decent user group online here:

http://www.xmfan.com/index.php

They can be somewhat "rah-rah" but there _are_ techies out there that will give you the straight answer to quality, service, mounting, internals, etc.

Mark

Last edited by midiwall; 10-02-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Mark.

If it makes things clearer, the wife and I both are content with the factory head-units in our respective cars, so I was just looking at the easiest way to get Satellite radio, if it was worth it using it through an FM modulator. I hadn't thought about the cd-changer-adapter...My 'formula' after first reading about the SkyFi was: one subscription, one Skyfi, 2 mounts and 2 antennas. It just wasn't perfectly clear to me that the Skyfi's antenna wasn't built in or something, when a first-timer reads their description, say at Crutchfield...

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by L33T35T 4Runner
if anybody wants to listen to XM radio, im streaming it from my shoutcast server

http://66.75.118.29:8000/listen.pls click that if you have winamp

if you dont, then add http://66.75.118.29:8000 to your windows media player playlist

im currently playing XM 48 Squizz, its a rock station
Is it still up? I can't connect
Old 10-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

I am looking at getting XM. What is the coverage? I would like something that would still get reception from SLC to Las Vegas. Is the range like a standard FM radio?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

coast to coast .. except overpasses, garages, or anything else that blocks the antenna
Old 10-07-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by sdastg1
coast to coast .. except overpasses, garages, or anything else that blocks the antenna
Yeup, what he said. You can literally listen to the same station as you drive across the country.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

That's cool. I may have to get it when I drive from SLC to Bend Oregon. Is there an antenna that is better/stonger so will have less of a chance getting blocked?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I got another question.
If I get the Skyfi, would it connect to my Sony Receiver. It has CD/MD controls. my stereo

I am thinking of doing this:
buying this Then using the car kit (tape connector that is included) and installing that in my Celica (toyota 3-in-1 unit). Then buying another antenna and a connector (if it works) to my Sony unit for the 4Runner. Then the skyfi could be hooked up to both vehicles.

Will this work?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Is there an antenna that is better/stonger so will have less of a chance getting blocked?
Nope! There's nothing you can do to get around a 40 story building that happens to be between you and the satellite.

Actually though, XM has setup "terrestrial" (earth) based antennas in many dense urban areas. The car antenna can receive from both sources, so you're set.

There _are_ antenna choices though. For example, there's a new low-low profile one. The one that comes with the car kit works swell, and you'll get that anyway when you buy the kit. It's best to use that - since you paid for it.

If I get the Skyfi, would it connect to my Sony Receiver. It has CD/MD controls.
You're about to enter Sony hell. I HATE Sony for doing this. I went through it with my Xplod system.

I can't see which receiver that is specifically, but if you look at the back of it, you'll find it has a set of "line in" jacks. Your 10-disc is probably plugged into there now. There's probably also another cable running from the head unit to the changer. That's the control input.

Now, those "line in's" are magic, and this is where you want to attach the XM radio to. BUT! They don't work UNLESS something is also connected to the control port on the head unit (that other cable). What you'll need to buy is the "Sony XA-300 Auxiliary Input Adapter", which runs about $100. Here's a link to it on Crutchfield's site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nxf62No...asp?i=158XA300

What that will let you do is hook up both the CD changer and the XM radio, then pick which one you're hearing from the wired (or wireless) remote.

btw, the unit is decent sized, and you'll have a GREAT time getting it to fit in-behind the dash along with all the cabling!

An alternative that MIGHT work is that you could go to Radio Shack and get a "RCA Line Switch". This is a little box that will let you switch between 2 or 3 different sets of line inputs. You'd run the CD changer and XM audio into it, then run a line from the switch box to the input on the head unit. Set the head unit for the changer, then flip the switch on the RatShack box to bring in the changer audio. When you want XM, leave the head unit set for the changer, just flip the switch box for XM.

The downside to this is that your changer will continue to be on, and probably spin discs, while you're listening to XM.

I am thinking of doing this:
buying this Then using the car kit (tape connector that is included) and installing that in my Celica (toyota 3-in-1 unit). Then buying another antenna and a connector (if it works) to my Sony unit for the 4Runner. Then the skyfi could be hooked up to both vehicles.
Okay, lemme rephrase this and see if we're on the same page...
  • Buy the "Car Kit Bundle" from XMFanStore.
    That will get you completely running in the Celica with the tape adapter.
  • Buy a second Car Adapter Kit from XMFanStore.
    That comes with the cradle, cassette adapter and an antenna. That will _NOT_ quite get you running in the 4Runner.
  • Buy either Sony's XA-300, or try the Radio Shack switchbox method.
    One of those _WILL_ will get you running in the 4Runner.
The net result is that you have one XM head unit that you can use in either car.

Is that what you're thinking? If so, then you're set.

Last edited by midiwall; 10-08-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Mark,

Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I am still not 100% sure if my Head unit will work. I need to find out what model it is and maybe call crutchfield..

Ok let me make sure I have it straight. I kinow that my CD changer uses a total of 3 cables (R&L RCA, and Control Cable). Does the XM only use the RCA cables or will it also use the control cable?

The Sony adapter confuses me. It says that it allows for a "private line" (headphones), is that the only way to listen to the other input? OR is that just an option that comes with the Adapter? If I get that, then I can control the CD changer and also be able to use the XM, correct? What shows up on the Sony Head unit display when the XM is on?

Okay, lemme rephrase this and see if we're on the same page...
Buy the "Car Kit Bundle" from XMFanSite.
That will get you completely running in the Celica with the tape adapter.

Buy a second Car Adapter Kit from XMFanSite.
That comes with the cradle, cassette adapter and an antenna. That will _NOT_ quite get you running in the 4Runner.

Buy either Sony's XA-300, or try the Radio Shack switchbox method.
One of those _WILL_ will get you running in the 4Runner.
The net result is that you have one XM head unit that you can use in either car.

Is that what you're thinking? If so, then you're set.
Yes that is what I was thinking. Just using the car kit for the Celica, then buying the individual parts for the 4Runner. What will I need for the 4Runner (if my Head Unit is compatible)? I know I will need:
Antenna
Sony Adapter
Mounting bracket
What else?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:40 AM

Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I am still not 100% sure if my Head unit will work. I need to find out what model it is and maybe call crutchfield..
Crutchfield are good people, they should be able to help fill in the blanks.

Ok let me make sure I have it straight. I know that my CD changer uses a total of 3 cables (R&L RCA, and Control Cable). Does the XM only use the RCA cables or will it also use the control cable?
The XM radio will connect to somewhere with only the RCA cables. That control cable is a Sony specific thing and is used to supply signals to things like the changer to say "next disc", "play", etc. That kind of information wouldn't make sense to the XM receiver.

_BUT_ If you DO need the XA-300, then you will have a control cable & RCA's from the head unit to the XA-300; control & RCA's from the XA-300 to the changer; and _just_ RCA's from the XA-300 to the XM receiver.

Know also that the XM car adapter will have a number of cables going to it. RCA for audio, power, and two antenna leads. The Left/Right RCAs are bound in one sheath, and the antenna leads are as well. So it ends up being 3 physical cables, with 4 connections.

The Sony adapter confuses me. It says that it allows for a "private line" (headphones), is that the only way to listen to the other input? OR is that just an option that comes with the Adapter?
Don't worry, it confused the bejeezus out of me for a while too. Bascially it's Sony being complicated, but in the end you do get some more capabilities out of the system.

The XA-300 has support for 4 devices in total. Two are devices like your changer, Sony specific things that require a connection with the control cable & RCA cables. One that's actually a USB interface so you can plug in the _digital_ audio output from a computer (no control cable), and one more for a device that's JUST RCA cables - like the XM radio, or a Nintendo game, etc.

There are additional options for that final input. there's a 1/8" headphone jack with it's own volume control. This jack is _always_ hot with the audio input from the dedicated RCA inputs. The purpose here is for something like a Nintendo game console. You can have it in the back seat with the kids, then they can plug in headphones and use the game without having to have the sound coming through the main audio in the car.

This is actually the set of inputs that you'll use for the XM receiver. In doing that, the headphone jack and the volume control serve no purpose. (read on for more info on how this ends up working)

If I get that, then I can control the CD changer and also be able to use the XM, correct?
Yes, if you get the XA-300 then you can have both the changer and the XM receiver hooked up at the same time. The changer will continue to work like it does now from the remotes. The remotes will have _no_ effect on the XM receiver (btw, it comes with a wireless remote).

What shows up on the Sony Head unit display when the XM is on?
Here's how it works...
  • To listen to AM/FM radio:
    Press the SOURCE button (on the wired or wireless remote) until the head unit switches to the radio mode. Use the MODE button to select between the 3 FM blocks and 2 AM blocks.
  • To listen to XM radio:
    Press the SOURCE button until the head unit switches to the CD mode. Use the MODE button to select "CD 1" (this will be a new feature of the MODE button).
  • To listen to CD changer:

Press the SOURCE button until the head unit switches to the CD mode. Use the MODE button to select "CD 2".
And, to restate it... The reason that the XA-300 comes into play here is because you need something to interpret the control signal from the head unit and activate the RCA jacks on the back of the head unit.

Yes that is what I was thinking. Just using the car kit for the Celica, then buying the individual parts for the 4Runner. What will I need for the 4Runner (if my Head Unit is compatible)? I know I will need:
Antenna / Sony Adapter / Mounting bracket...What else?
Okay, what you really want to do is to buy a total of two car kits, the XM receiver, and the XA-300. That means that you would:
  • Buy the "Car Kit Bundle" from XMFanStore.
    This will get you the receiver and one car kit. That's everything you need for the Celica.
  • Buy a second Car Adapter Kit from XMFanStore.
    That will get you a 2nd cradle and a 2nd antenna.
  • Buy the XA-300 from Crutchfield.
    That will let you plug in the cable from the 2nd cradle in the 4Runner, along with your present changer. And you'll be able to switch between them from your Sony remotes.
btw, the XA-300 comes with a control cable and a set of RCA->RCA cables. You shouldn't have to buy anything else.

(whew!)
Does that all make sense?

Last edited by midiwall; 10-08-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Wow thanks Mark.

If I understand you correctly, unless I get the Radio shack switch -or- the XA300, just unhooking my cd changer and using the inputs from the Skyfi won't work because I need the commander cable to be hooked to something for it to recognize it, am I correct?

I just registered at the XMfansite forum. I noticed that they are doing a referral (expires 10/31/03) where the person that is being referred gets a $20 MIR and the current subscriber gets a month programming free. If I get approval from the wife to do this, I would like to be recommended by you since you have given me so much help.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Wow thanks Mark.
You'rrrrrrrrrre Welcome!

If I understand you correctly, unless I get the Radio shack switch -or- the XA300, just unhooking my cd changer and using the inputs from the Skyfi won't work because I need the commander cable to be hooked to something for it to recognize it, am I correct?
Well, actually that _would_ work (actually, it "should" work). That's effectively what the RatShack box will be doing. But it's not healthy for the CD changer.

If you left the control cable connected to the changer, but plugged in the XM audio instead, then you would (should) in fact hear the XM audio. BUT! The problem will be that the changer will think it's active while you're listening to XM, and thus will be spinning discs all that time. It'll become unnecessary wear and tear on the changer.

The cleaner option is to use the XA-300.

I just registered at the XMfansite forum. I noticed that they are doing a referral (expires 10/31/03) where the person that is being referred gets a $20 MIR and the current subscriber gets a month programming free. If I get approval from the wife to do this, I would like to be recommended by you since you have given me so much help.
Oh cool... Sure, I'd be happy to accept that from you. THANK YOU! I dunno what you need to make this happen, but my username up there is the same as here.

And while you're talking to the Missus, throw this into the conversation... It's pretty cool:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/skbosa.html

Have fun!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

After hearing everyones praise of XM im getting ready to order a TERK XM11 antenna and a Sony XT-XM1 receiver. I think im gonna mount the receiver box up under my passenger seat and then add a 10 disc changer in a month or two.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, you guys have pretty much sold me on XM too,
Ive got an alpine deck (non-AInet), and I have a changer, but it doesn't work at the moment b/c its full of mud (oops). So what I would need is the delphi car "package" and then the non-ainet cable from this page? Cables and then figure out mounting? The cable i need is even on sale!! WOO! Also, how hard is it to hardwire to say, the cigarette lighter? Can you just chop the cig adapter and splice into the cigarette lighter cables? or is the adapter an inverter too?

Last edited by turboale; 10-08-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:14 AM

Has anyone used one of these in their 03' 4Runner? I'm interested in the delphi unit but I'm not sure how it would integrate into the JBL system. I realize they make a cassette adaptor but I'm worried about sound distortion. Is there anyother way? What is the FM modulator? How does it work?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

Justin
Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 AM

No problem with the JBL hookup

My partner had Good Guys install his and it works great with the JBL unit. All done under the dash. He has the actual Delphi unit attached just to the right and below his navigation with the pasted-on holder stuck to the metalic portion of the dash....to the right of the HVAC controls. Wires go in a nice black conduit to under the dash entering from below the consol in the passenger footwell. Antenna is just above the windshield center with the wire running inside the rubber moulding for the windshield to the passenger side unseen!

Installed it was about $250 and the monthly is a gift from me as he is my father-in-law!

I'd say go for it...I have it at home and have the cassette adapter that I have used in my T100 which is a bunch of wires running everywhere!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kaneman23
Has anyone used one of these in their 03' 4Runner? I'm interested in the delphi unit but I'm not sure how it would integrate into the JBL system. I realize they make a cassette adaptor but I'm worried about sound distortion. Is there anyother way? What is the FM modulator? How does it work?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

Justin
The FM modulator uses an FM station (on your JBL system). This way it uses a radio signal to get the sound instead of wires or a cassette adaptor.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM

Sears has the Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System for $50. It is out of stock online, but you can buy online and pickup in store. Requires subscription.

The bundle looks like it includes KTC-SR902 (tuner), CX-SR20 (antenna), KCA-R70FM (FM controller) and RC-513. If bought separately the package would be about $200. [Kenwood page]
Old 10-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

I would like to add

my system uses the FM modulator, and it sounds BETTER than a CD in my deck!