Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WRITEUP: How to install an aftermarket oil filter relocator kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wanted to add one more thing:

I believe Summit Racing sells just the relocator parts (the oil filter mount and the engine oil mount) separately. Thus, you might be able to save more money that way and just buy the hoses, hose ends and adapters separately. No doubt the kit I bought was more expensive b/c of the cheap hoses and hose ends that came with it

Bob
Old 02-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the permacool kit and am planning on doing this Mod as well however I am also going to add a thermostatic switch and a external oil cooler. Thanks for the great writeup.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could also add an oil cooler into the loop too if you tow or wheel on hot days..
Old 05-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For anyone wondering, the 3vze and the 5vzfe's oil ports are 100% identical from what I can tell. So for those who want to install an Oil Pressure Gauge (or run a pressurized oil line to a turbo ) it will work just like the 5vzfe.

A Huge thanks goes out to Morphine for helping me figure that one out too. Taking pictures inside of your wheel well at night in flannel pj's does get the neighbors looking atcha oddly!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
You could also add an oil cooler into the loop too if you tow or wheel on hot days..
OT: Is the stock engine oil cooler of the 5VZ-FE not enough for towing or wheeling on hot days?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 AM

OK I gotta have one of these...Not a time of changing my oil I can think of that I haven't been drenched in oil removing that stupid filter. Last time the d@mned stuff was HOT!

Last edited by ctcost; 05-25-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ctcost
OK I gotta have one of these...Not a time of changing my oil I can think of that I haven't been drenched in oil removing that stupid filter. Last time the d@mned stuff was HOT!
You're not supposed to lay directly UNDER the oil filter when ya pull it - particularly when the oil is 195*F!! Roflmao!

YEEEESSSS oil filter relocation/amsoil bypass kit looks VERY VERY promising!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:29 AM

Ohhhhh now they tell meeeeee.

Where did you buy your kit and how much Bob?

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
You're not supposed to lay directly UNDER the oil filter when ya pull it - particularly when the oil is 195*F!! Roflmao!

YEEEESSSS oil filter relocation/amsoil bypass kit looks VERY VERY promising!

Last edited by ctcost; 05-25-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Is this the one we need?

http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page27.html
Old 05-29-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm only a few months behind reading this, but I'm glad you got it going Bob! Mine's been on my truck now for about 60K miles and I couldn't be happier. Since I'm running extended oil changes I'm glad to have large filter and the extra oil capacity.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ugadawg95
That's the one. I got mine from Summit but the same kit seems to be available everywhere. Unless you like leaks down the road I'm ditch the lines that come with it and buy some real ones from Aeroquip or one of the racing line suppliers...
Old 05-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fwiw, the cheapest I found it was from SDPC2000, $52.70 with shipping (Summit was at $54.83 with their "free shipping" concept):

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1336...cation-Kit.htm
Old 05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JSharp
That's the one. I got mine from Summit but the same kit seems to be available everywhere. Unless you like leaks down the road I'm ditch the lines that come with it and buy some real ones from Aeroquip or one of the racing line suppliers...
I was pricing the the aeroquip fittings and hose, The total came to around $100. Does that sound right?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:11 PM

stephen,

yes. and are you following my writeup? did you decide to buy the socketless? im not impressed by them, mainly because i couldnt get them to press flat against the end of the fittings. but they are holding, but i do check them every so often "just in case"

bob
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
stephen,

yes. and are you following my writeup? did you decide to buy the socketless? im not impressed by them, mainly because i couldnt get them to press flat against the end of the fittings. but they are holding, but i do check them every so often "just in case"

bob
Thanks Bob,
Yes I am following your writeup. I have priced a couple of different sets of fittings and hose from different manufacturers and they all are around the same price...That sucks about the fitment of the hose.

Anyone else use other fittings or hose?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 AM

Now here's a Q. Do you use any more oil to fill up as a result of the distance from the old filter port to the new one?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:45 AM

I was pricing the the aeroquip fittings and hose, The total came to around $100. Does that sound right?
That's about right. I got the relocation kit from Summit racing but the hose and fittings came from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/ At the time they were a little cheaper than Summit on the Aeroquip stuff and had it all in stock. If you use the socketless fabric covered hose and fittings instead of the stainless braided variety it's slightly cheaper too.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 AM

Thanks Bob,
Yes I am following your writeup. I have priced a couple of different sets of fittings and hose from different manufacturers and they all are around the same price...That sucks about the fitment of the hose.

Anyone else use other fittings or hose?
I used the normal stainless braided variety. If you go that way you'll need to have an abrasive cutoff tool to cut it and installing the fittings is no fun if you've never done it before. I've been doing it for years so it wasn't a real issue to me.

I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the socketless stuff Bob. The guys at Racer Parts said they used it all the time for plumbing sprint cars. I wonder if there's some special assembly lube or special tools needed to get the hose onto the fitting all the way.

I'm sorry I recommended that now...
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ctcost
Now here's a Q. Do you use any more oil to fill up as a result of the distance from the old filter port to the new one?
I'm not sure how much oil the truck uses normally so I can't say. I put the filter adapter on the first time I changed my oil.

Before I install the filter I fill it as much as I can, wait for it to soak in, fill it again etc., then dump 6 quarts into the engine. I end up showing *slightly* overfull on the stick doing it that way. On my setup the lines don't really drain down when you shut the engine off so you don't have to account for that.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by JSharp
I used the normal stainless braided variety. If you go that way you'll need to have an abrasive cutoff tool to cut it and installing the fittings is no fun if you've never done it before. I've been doing it for years so it wasn't a real issue to me.

I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the socketless stuff Bob. The guys at Racer Parts said they used it all the time for plumbing sprint cars. I wonder if there's some special assembly lube or special tools needed to get the hose onto the fitting all the way.

I'm sorry I recommended that now...
jsharp,

no problem. though racer parts said its ok to use regular 5w/30 oil as well. however, it just didnt seem to work and i had my very strong friend give it a go too

and yes, they do have a tool and special lube. maybe in 1.5- 2 years, ill buy it and try it out

bob

Quick Reply: WRITEUP: How to install an aftermarket oil filter relocator kit