Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WoW Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these the Bilsteins you guys would recommend for a 3rd Gen 4runner? Is that a good price or do local stores usually sell for around that price as well? One last question. How long and how much should I expect to pay a shop to install these? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

You might be able to get them a little cheaper buying them at a Checkers/Autozone and not pay shipping.
I got mine at www.shox.com for $282 shipped.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:06 PM

What do you guys think about the kyb shocks? Are they any good? I don't even know if they make it for a runner though
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by flips4runner
Does anyone have these shocks TREK MASTER R/T shocks. Came across it in the internet and wanted to know if they were crappy or pretty good? But I am leaning still on bilsteins. Just wanted to know.Thanks in advance

I just ordered some. My friend swears by them on his tacoma xcab. He had the aftermarket bill on his pre-tacoma xcab, and said the Tokico give the same stability, but not as rough on washboard roads, and bumps. Not a direct comparison, but we'll see. I had the Bils on my old T100. A huge difference to stock. Great shock, but I was looking for something as stable, but less stiff. Good luck with your choice....
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 PM

Do you guys know of any shocks that ride smooth like factory shocks on a honda or etc. I don't want my shocks to stiff that when I hit a bump or pot hole my whole dash shakes hard. Thanks in advance also to the people who have helped me
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM

Do you guys know of any shocks that ride smooth like factory shocks on a honda or etc. I don't want my shocks to stiff that when I hit a bump or pot hole my whole dash shakes hard. Thanks in advance also to the people who have helped me
You are never going to get a 3rd Gen 4Runner to ride smooth like a car. If that is what is really important to you, you may want to trade it in on a car since you do not like the fact your truck rides like a truck.

The 4Runner rides rough and that is just the way it is.

The Trail Blazer rides well. Check them out.

Gadget
Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Away

Well said Gadget.

G
Old 04-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
You are never going to get a 3rd Gen 4Runner to ride smooth like a car. If that is what is really important to you, you may want to trade it in on a car since you do not like the fact your truck rides like a truck.

The 4Runner rides rough and that is just the way it is.

The Trail Blazer rides well. Check them out.

Gadget
He could swap out the rear axle and go IRS and get some of those adjustable shocks.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 PM

I guess your right. I poped this ? because I oened a Honda crv and I remembered reading its based on a car and when I got the 4runner I read it was based like a truck. You fellas are right. Thanks for waking me up . I wouldn't even trade or sell my runner love it too much. Thanks for the
Old 04-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Does anyone know where to get good deals on bilsteins? I have checked shox, shockwarehouse and performance products. Anyone know where to get them cheap? in advance
Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Try a Pepboys or Autozone and you'll at least save shipping.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 AM

KYBs

I recently put KYBs on my T100. They are a huge improvement over my stocks that had 125k miles on them! I am enjoying the great handling and the ride isn't bad. Definitely stiffer than I remember the OEMs being when new. They cost $258 for the four. I asked the question at purchase time whether I should go Bils or KYBs, and got the answer that they are quite similar. The KYBs cost less and seem to be more sturdy in construction and have the same technology ie multi-valve.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I've seen too many problems with KYBs at the strip but maybe their truck shocks are better.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the help and replies back Really appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the help and replies back Really appreciate it.
Hey flips4runner, can you let me know where and when you get the shocks? I'm from SoCal as well and think that I need new shocks too. I got my 4runner used and it has 94k miles and I think they have never been replaced yet.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:44 PM

Sure I'll let you know. The ones of ebay are for a 4wd. Do you have a 4wd? What yr is your 4runner? I might get mine in june sometime. But I am calling around and surfing the web. I am gonna go with the bilsteins. so far shox.com are the cheapest but I will check more and call locally. I will let you know where the cheapest place is. Like one of the members said we can save on shipping if we get it of the net and at a local store, but I'll keep you posted. As for install I will call my local auto shop that normally put shock on.
Originally Posted by JMT529
Hey flips4runner, can you let me know where and when you get the shocks? I'm from SoCal as well and think that I need new shocks too. I got my 4runner used and it has 94k miles and I think they have never been replaced yet.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by boogyman
bilstein = german (what sounds more german than bilstein?!? i guess you gotta do it in a schwartzenegger voice or something..)
You never knew anyone whose last name didn't end in one of 5 standard suffixes (berg, aum, man, stein and witz.)
http://www.blogthings.com/Jewish.html

I Figure I'll piggyback off an old post to let you guys know I searched.

Is there really a difference between the suspension of a Limited and an SR5?
I am really trying to figure this out since I would like a little stiffer ride than what came on my LTD.

When I bought the truck, the dealer said it has bigger brakes (for 16" wheels) and a stiffer suspension(?).

I already read a few posts and am narrowing my choices down (PP springs - HD Bils).
I want a lift that will not stress the CV's after it settles, and adding things to accommodate for a lift. I just want an easy installation where I don't have to worry about a premature failure because of severe angles.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member

My '99 Highlander suts a little higher and my ride is a bit more truck-like when compared to my mom's '99 Limited so it would seem there's a diff. Also after the '00 year Toyota used a slightly smaller spring reducing ride height about 1" ,probably to conform to soccer mom standards.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:16 PM

I really am starting to dislike my Bilstein HDs due to harsh ride....I really wish I went with OMEs or something softer. No disputes about their controlled ride and flatter cornering though
Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
I really am starting to dislike my Bilstein HDs due to harsh ride....I really wish I went with OMEs or something softer. No disputes about their controlled ride and flatter cornering though

What springs are you running with the Bils?

How would you rate you ride stiffness/harshness stock? 1-10
How would you rate the stiffness/harshness of the current setup? 1-10

As I said, I would like my ride a little more stiff/harsh than over stock, but supposedly the Limiteds have a stiffer stock setup than the SR5's.
I know bigger tires and brakes on the LTD's, but still not sure about the suspension.

Quick Reply: WoW Shocks