Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WOW....look different again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Right now pic and file adding is off line, and may stay off.
There are a lot of free pic hosts out there such as www.webshots.com and you can read about the trick to make them show up in your post in the Community section under YotaTech On The Web.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Right now pic and file adding is off line, and may stay off.

i posted a pic earlier.............did you just turn this off??
Old 02-14-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks for help with the development of this forum.
Unfortunently it is a shame that we have to delete all the pics so we can post new ones. I have searched many past topics especially tech questions for info and pics on how things go together. Now these important pics are gonna be deleted so the members can repost different pics. This is destroying or tech archive for future yotatechers. This will result in multiple reposts and confusing wordy responses. My brother deleted every past pic so he could post a pic of me and my boat. Now there is a 5 star rated SAS swap in progress that has no pics now and it still needs welding done. What is the next techer to do when they search for pics of where the hoops and holes go? This is gonna force alot of great informative pics to deleted to make room for current ones. I think you should remove and delete all posts that are over a day old and call this "The Daily Yotatech" I would rather look at pics then read someonse description. Also many members explain something and then say, "like in the pic"This new system will force more visual Yotatechers to leave this community to find new forem that will post pics with their comments. Just think of the informative pics that have alreaddy been deleted.

You keep your good old stuff in the basement and the new stuff on top but you didn't consider the flood that will eventually wiped everything out.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I would not be deleting any of your old pics.
Our database has not been brought back on line yet, and won't be until after midnight.

We did not just turn this feature off, we are running new software, and things are not all done yet.
These things take time, and I have been busting my ass all day to make sure the forum is working right.

PLEASE bare with us.

We never told anyone to delete your pics.
Doesn't anyone ever use Webshots?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:22 PM

I would not be deleting any of your old pics.
We never told anyone to delete your pics.

i know you have been working hard on gettin things right, but when i tried to upload a pic the forum told me i was over my limit and so i started deleting, first a few random crap pics but then i still got the over my limit (way, way over my limit) so i said screw it and deleted all

i never used webshots since this forum was doing exactly what i wanted, i just thought that we now had a size limit on uploaded pics and since there was a delete option with a size meter and info on pics i and probally others assumed this was what needed to be done so i could upload others. if i knew you were still in the "test phase" i would not have deleted

i think you should stop this delete/upload pics option from showing up. it should say "being upgraded" or "use webshots" or whatever until it is how you guys want.

dont get me wrong i really thank you guys for spending your time hooking up the site and was just posting so others dont make the same mistake that i did
Old 02-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

File adding privies are now turned off, so hopefully no one else will delete their files.

This is entirely new to us as well as you, so there is a learning curve here.

It will not be turned back on again until we get it set up correctly.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Update

OK, I think this is now setup correctly.
Each user here will have 6 MB of webspace.
Your attachment area is set to 8808036 bytes which converts to 6 MB if I did the math right.

As you know, on the old forum we had a limit of 50kb per attachment, there is no way to do that here.
So lets say you attach a huge file for a pic to view, you best be shrinking it down first, or your 6 MB will go very fast.

One more thought, we are a forum here, not an ISP as a lot of you have been using us for adding pics here.
I personally feel it has got out of hand a bit.
But now with this new system, you can regulate your own folder where the pics are stored.

As always, the best way to display pics here is to get yourself a free host like Webshots, or a few others.
Most ISPs also give you free webspace, you just have to activate it.

Many forums do not even offer the ability to upload attachments like we do here, so please do not abuse it.
We do this as a favor here.

Now damnit, I don't wanna hear anymore whining about lost pictures.
I have been without sleep for the past 24 hours, and only eaten a few small meals to keep me going here to get this place up and running.

Maybe a few of you can confirm by looking at your attachment folder that it is set to 6 MB.

File uploading does indeed work, as I tested it a poll post in the Testing section.
Your personal usage meter will look like this.
It won't say 6 MB on it, but you can view all of your files you have here via the far bottom right of your Control Panel by looking for:
Miscellaneous
then click into attachments.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:24 PM

I feel lost.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Come on everybody...these guys give up so much of their free-time in order to make this site the way it is and has been in the past.

This is by far the best forum/message board that I have ever had the pleasure of being a member of and I completely appreciate ALL you guys have done to make it the way it is. The things I have said were in no way meant to put pressure on you or make it harder for anybody. As long as we can still post and get info I am happy.

IMO I think the new 6MB of alotted space is awesome and will start going through and making room for more attachments.

Corey, you are the man...as well as all of you other guys that have put your blood, sweat and tears into this operation and your efforts are GREATLY appreciated...and if you ever need help with ANYTHING you know how to contact me.

BTW - My attachment/usage meter is working fine.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 02-14-2004 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo/Smiley Problem
Old 02-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Contributing Member

I appreciate everything that is done for us yotatechers. I mentioned it once, but I'll mention it again. I think that we should all come together and get the people that run this place something.

Last edited by Krash; 02-15-2004 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spellin correction
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Question

How long before you guys get the "Search" function working again????

It only goes back about a week right now.

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-15-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have a sticky note in Off Topic about the search.
It gets restored at night time when most of us are in bed, as it is VERY heavy on the CPU when it's put back.
Hopefully it will get done tonight.
It was forgotton about last night.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Cool!!!

Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, let's not forget that the people doing the work on this are doing it for free and in their spare time. They're also doing it for a greater good that extends further beyond the look of the site. If it weren't for these guys volunteering their free time, this site wouldn't be here.

Let's all just try to suck it up for a while until a new FAQ section can be generated on how to use the site's new features (if that ever happens). Or better yet, let's start a new thread sharing things you've discovered that might benefit others or answer a few questions while messing around with the new settings.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thank you Chris for the kind words.
I have felt that the past few days I wasted getting little sleep & my time getting this setup.

And you are right.
We get paid zilch to run and maintain this place.
We do it out of our love & enthusiasm for Toyotas, and to provide a nice place for people to come together to talk about them, or other off topic subjects.
Running a forum is not as easy as some might think.

We do have a FAQ section here still.
https://www.yotatech.com/faq.php

I already added the "Search 101" to it the other day.
I like your idea on tips, and I will start a sticky thread in Off Topic where people can put up tips they find useful.
I will be putting up one I already posted earlier in this thread or another one.

When we get a few, I will add a new FAQ area with them listed.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Keep up the good work everybody! The site is starting to come together...and I'm starting to get used to it too!!

Fink
Old 02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you Chris for the kind words.
I have felt that the past few days I wasted getting little sleep & my time getting this setup.

And you are right.
We get paid zilch to run and maintain this place.
We do it out of our love & enthusiasm for Toyotas, and to provide a nice place for people to come together to talk about them, or other off topic subjects.
Running a forum is not as easy as some might think.

We do have a FAQ section here still.
https://www.yotatech.com/faq.php?

I already added the "Search 101" to it the other day.
I like your idea on tips, and I will start a sticky thread in Off Topic where people can put up tips they find useful.
I will be putting up one I already posted earlier in this thread or another one.

When we get a few, I will add a new FAQ area with them listed.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say your efforts are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Whoa...
I don't know what buttons to press anymore

It'll take a little bit before I get used to this... so far it looks pretty good
Same here. I like it, but right now its a little confusing!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outstanding job on the upgrade, Corey, Chris and everyone else involved. Muchas Gracias. Funny, it's Day 2 and feels like home again.

I like the improved speed, mouse-over dialogs, and the Quick Links. Especially the one that shows so many search engine spiders crawling around this place that I'm starting to itch.

I'm with the classic, default skin. The extreme skin was giving me a headache and, if I stared at it for 30 seconds and looked at a blank white wall, the Toyota logo mysteriously appeared.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks for the comps, they are TRULY appreciated.
Bob, I am glad you like it.
Yes, I am still using the black look, I like it.

We realize we can not please everyone here 100% of the time, just the nature of the beast.
But for the better part, the upgrades here have improved the speed of posting and surfing.

The new format can take awhile to get use to, but with the drop down lists at the top, it is much easier than the old buttons we used.

On those search bots, they have been here for a long time, but before you saw them only as guests.
They are here daily & nightly gathering info for the various search engines out there.