Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Would you buy a 3/4ton tundra in with a cat underhood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Flamedx4]
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
too small?? How do you figure that? It's the same size as the domestic offerings in half tons. And the domestic half tons are no smaller than their 3/4 and 1ton counterparts except for perhaps height but that doesnt really matter.]

???? Go park one of your full sized trucks next to one. The Tundra is the same size as a Dakota - they can call it 'full size' in their ad buzz all they want but it is NOT full size.
Define fullsize...

The Tundra IS about the same size as a Dakota. Its also the same size as a Full Size F150 and a Full Size Chevy Silverado, which the Tundra falls in between when it comes to size. I agree that a body upgrade might be required before Toyota makes a super duty version but the Ford F250 Super Duty Single rear wheels, is about 8" longer, 5" taller and 0-4" wider depending on model then the current Tundra. I dont think thats too much different, most of the length of the F250 is on the hood and bumpers. Taller because, well you can see 5" of the frame hanging out the bottom.

So I guess its how you define full size. Its the same size as everything else that claims to be full size. Its not the size of these super duty's or Duramax's just like the F150 Full Size isnt the size of its F250 Super Duty brother.

I think when we see a Toyota full size diesel it will be the same size as the rest.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

oops looks like I shouldnt have taking my time on that post...heheh oh well
Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Whats makes you all so certain that Toyota will use the current Tundra body on this supposed truck?
Seems to me like the Tundra is due for a facelift. Im sure that Toyota will make the next-generation Tundra longer, wider and taller.
Myself, Id go for a 3/4 ton Tundra, but I want one with a TOYOTA engine. Toyota has plenty of experience in making diesel engines (Hilux, Hilux Surf and Land Cruiser as well as the Hino line) that they dont need Cat for an engine.
Id also like to see a bigger gas engine. The 4.7L is a good engine but it doesnt have enough low-end torque. Id like to see a 5.7L long-stroke V8 that makes it's peak torque below 2,000 rpm. Ive heard rumors of Toyota designing a new engine for the next-generation Tundra and dropping the current (Lexus transplant) engine in favor of a low-revving long stroke one.
As for the size of the Tundra, it IS smaller than the other 1/2 tons but not by much. Its a little bit bigger than a Dakota but its a little bit smaller than a GM/Ford/Dodge.
Cap'n
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
We got to looking at the Toyota specs, and they cheat. Park an F150 next to a Tundra and the Tundra is definitely smaller. By my tape measure it looks like they measure to the fender flares to get that wider spec...the body is exactly the same width as an older access cab we measured. The body shape makes a big difference in the size perception too. The Tundra narrows toward the top - the widest point is down by the floor. The F150 is widest just below the window sills (more elbow room) and is wider up high (more shoulder room.) The F is taller from floor to ceiling inside by a lot. The F's bed is bigger, although a sheet of plywood does fit on the floor of the Tundra. I'd call the Tundra a full-size on a diet...

Perception is funny though, a guy in my office is a Chevy man and he was convinced that my F150 isn't nearly as big as his Silverado. Measuring tape says otherwise...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Interesting conversation. I would add my two cents but, seeing how I work for a Cummins Distributor it would be a bias two cents. I forget who mentioned that the Cummins was a sweet engine in a pos truck but, I hear that almost every day. I would say the Duromax would be a candidate seeing how it is built by Isuzu. Would like to see what Toyota could come up with if they really put some effort into it.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM

I think I said that incorrect. Should have been Duramax. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Old 06-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Toyota And Mitsubishi should team up for a joint venture. based out of one of either of their american plants, the union of these two powerhouses would yeild the most unique full size truck ever built.With Mitsubishi's years of development and supremacy in the Diesel Arena and TOyta's world renowend durability and great attention to detail,the truck would be and absolute marvel of modern engineering.

THe difficult part would be to convince the guy who has been driving Around Detroit Diesel power for the past quarter centry,to look past the Corrolla that he sees in his head when ever hear hears the WOrd 'toyota' and buy This truck..

IS this Wishful thinking on my part? perhaps. but im partial to these manufacturers since this is what i have driven for 90% of my driving career

Last edited by dsm59; 06-08-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
We got to looking at the Toyota specs, and they cheat. Park an F150 next to a Tundra and the Tundra is definitely smaller. By my tape measure it looks like they measure to the fender flares to get that wider spec...the body is exactly the same width as an older access cab we measured. The body shape makes a big difference in the size perception too. The Tundra narrows toward the top - the widest point is down by the floor. The F150 is widest just below the window sills (more elbow room) and is wider up high (more shoulder room.) The F is taller from floor to ceiling inside by a lot. The F's bed is bigger, although a sheet of plywood does fit on the floor of the Tundra. I'd call the Tundra a full-size on a diet...

Perception is funny though, a guy in my office is a Chevy man and he was convinced that my F150 isn't nearly as big as his Silverado. Measuring tape says otherwise...
my father and I just moved 30 sheets of plywood in his tundra....the all laid between the wheels wells....with an inch to spare...that was with the tailgate closed too....

We're contractors by the way....we're moving plywood on a weekly basis...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
We hauled a Bobcat in the bosses Tundra once. That was funny to see.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dsm59
Toyota And Mitsubishi should team up for a joint venture. based out of one of either of their american plants, the union of these two powerhouses would yeild the most unique full size truck ever built.With Mitsubishi's years of development and supremacy in the Diesel Arena and TOyta's world renowend durability and great attention to detail,the truck would be and absolute marvel of modern engineering.
I dont think it would happen. Mitsu is owned by Daimler-Chrysler and I dont think they would help create something that could steal sales away from the Dodge Ram 2500s.
Toyota doesnt need help, they have plenty of diesel experience.
Cap'n
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phil, you're right, that would be fun to watch.