Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Whose running 2 SS TopOut Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i asked calrockx not too long ago

it took a lot of work with a BFH and an angle grinder. trimming, and some aftermarket a-arms, and you can fit 315s with widened oem wheels.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by instigator
the word "shouldn't" is just a suggestion, its not a command not to. do it see what happens, the most is you break something. cant take it with you
And they call him the instigator. Laughing my arse off!

You can always install a longer shock but how safe is it to run those 2 spacers?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey i was talking to my mechanic about this.. using any kind of spacers.. he says he wouldnt reccomend it since it puts strain on the wheel bearings.. i mean he did say sometimes you need to use a little spacer to keep a wheel from rubbing or something, but he has seen a lot of bearings go out early (like, 50,000 miles early) due to spacers. so what he says is dont use them unless your tires rub on the body or shocks or something. any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 AM

Like I said NO problems and I'm on the road all the time 80k at time of lift install currently 150k sooo 70k with Sonoran Steel lift and 2x spacers.

Aaron
Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
hey i was talking to my mechanic about this.. using any kind of spacers.. he says he wouldnt reccomend it since it puts strain on the wheel bearings.. i mean he did say sometimes you need to use a little spacer to keep a wheel from rubbing or something, but he has seen a lot of bearings go out early (like, 50,000 miles early) due to spacers. so what he says is dont use them unless your tires rub on the body or shocks or something. any thoughts?
I think your mechanic is referring to wheel spacers, not top-mount spacers.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=hross14;50614727]
Originally Posted by Bighead
I am running 315s with Steve's 1.51 kit and a 1.5" body lift and did more than what I consider "a little trimming".

Not to Hijack--Sorry Terra about the Radiator--that bites

Big--

--Did you get the trimmed Arms from him? Yes...I've had them for a few years.

--I know the TJM bumpoer sides need to be trimmed and rewelded Once again Steve did this work for me.

--So the 1.5" is the way to go versus the 1" RBBL? If you look on Steve's lift kit page at the bottom you will see what he recommends to run the 315s. Even with the 1.5" I rub a bit at full stuff.

--I know the pinch weld need to be grounded and rewelded My pinch weld is flat but I have to trim the pieces of sheet metal below the pinch weld area and there were other areas we just chopped off since they served no purpose without the OEM bumper. Most of it is curled up already from the tire hitting it but I need to cut it. Albuquerque Jim had some good pics of the additional trimming that he needed. Try searching for those.

--From what i read it didnt seem like it was that much trimming--then again relative Every vehicle is different...that was just the additional work I had to do to fit mine. I'm just letting you know that if you want to do this it won't be a bolt on solution like some lift kits. Expect a little bit of work to tweak it. BTW...I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

So was there much more than that to be done--I want this setup soon so i just want to be prepared. What says you--inquiring minds are dying to know.
See text in red.

Last edited by Bighead; 09-14-2007 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Yep and I've got those too .5" each side no problems!

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Installed my system 7.1 with a friend this past weekend and was reading through the tips section on Steve's site regarding his lifts.

"16. Two Top Out Spacers. If you install two top out spacers on one side, any and all applied warranties and support will be VOID. Installing two top out spacers on a single side is a huge mistake, we will not sell you the extra spacers under any circumstances. If you obtain some on your own and install them, you assume all risks and consequences for your actions."
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM

What kind of fool would install 2 on 1 side. Most of you aren't even ballsy enough (or have the need) to do 2 much less 2 on 1 side. Heck if you were stupid enough to do 2 on 1 my wife would have to bytch slap you.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Pictures? You can't go around saying you installed something and not post pictures. How do we know your telling the truth?

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Pictures? You can't go around saying you installed something and not post pictures. How do we know your telling the truth?

Aaron
lol, I'll take some pics this evening and start a new thread. Bottom line is my 4Runner is complete for now. I am EXTREMELY happy with the 7.1. My 2000 looks like a monster compared to how it looked a week ago. I slapped on some BFGs and the 7.1, huge difference.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Yeah thats how I felt when I did mine, I love the height well then the 1" BL came. But thats it no more lift unless it comes with tire height. Im certain it looks great. You will find yourself parking next to other (inferior) 4Runners to show them how superior you are in comparison.

Aaron
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 AM

Well, after installing my LC's I really wanna run too. I'm gonna try to get buy with bringing up my front bumpstops 1/2-3/4" and using limiting straps. I think it'll work.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM

It will work this past weekend proves it yet again.

Aaron
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
It will work this past weekend proves it yet again.
Come wheeling with me and I'll show you exactly how to blow the guts out of your shocks. You won't do in in Florida, but you will out west. The terrain is rougher.

What 2 spacers does is lower the compressed distance, so you over compress the shock since it is lower and will drive the guts into the shock body and destroy them.

If you try to send a shock back to me for warranty and I find out you ran 2 spacers, I can not warranty it, because I told you it would happen.

Now if you only run tame stuff or drive on the road, etc. It's not going to happen, but I designed these kits to survive the Rubicon and all of the trails of that class.

Please don't argue on the web and please do not run 2 spacers. After this post, I will not even sell the spacers separate. Look at the compressed distance of the shock and see if it will fit in the smaller space you have created by lowering the shock, then look at the now longer length of the shocks and see if the axles bind, in both cases under hard wheeling you will get a failure. The compressed length of the shock is longer than the space it now has to live in and the axle will droop into the bind zone and you will rip the cage out.

If you want more lift, install a Pro Comp or Tough Country drop bracket style lift.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 11-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

You need to stand that thing up. Then the doo doo hits the fan.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 PM

You have a warranty? Almost stood it up this weekend but decided maybe not such a good idea. But if its just a shock blow out thats not tooooo serious. Not like a detonated cv would be. Though I guess you could always pull the cv. Back on topic,,, I didn't realize this was such a hot button topic us crazy 2 spacers are out of control. Sorry Steve I will not give you the spacers back there mine I tell you mine. So I guess its inevitable that I will have a failure somewhere down the line. That is not so good.

Aaron
Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 PM

what's the largest tire i can run on a stock 3rd gen??

can i stack two, 2.5" daystar spacers? would i need a diff drop? limiting straps?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by jfreisner
what's the largest tire i can run on a stock 3rd gen??

can i stack two, 2.5" daystar spacers? would i need a diff drop? limiting straps?
I hope you're kidding. If not...

Quick Reply: Whose running 2 SS TopOut Spacers?