Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What do you guys think, Time for an OME stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you guys think, Time for an OME stabilizer?

I was under my truck today doing some preventive maintenance and came across this when I removed the skidplate.

I am not genius but that stock puny ol Steering Stabilzer looks like it's seen better days. I am going to order the Old Man Emu one. I bet it will make my front end feel more solid, especially offroad. Cebby is this what yours looked like when you said it was blown?? Looks to me like it was leaking oil.

Also check this out

Everyone should have one of these in their garage. It's a 4 point lift. I finally got to do some stuff I been meaning too on the Runner. First I pulled all the wheels and then I took a wire brush to all the mud built up on my front calipers. Little TLC and some fun with the airhose and they were looking much better. Next I pulled the rear drums to inspect the pads. They looked good so I just ended up cleaning everything up real well and making sure the auto adjusters were working good. Next I greased every zerk fitting on the thing. Finally after cleaning the mud that was hiding in the nooks and crannies I changed the oil and put the wheels back on after rotating them. It feels good when you do this stuff to your Baby. I can't wait to get it back on that lift to fit my Downey's and Bils. Hopefully that'll be next weekends project!
Old 11-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
UK, definitely get you a new stabilizer, you will wish you had done it sooner. Did you do the lift thing on base or do you have a good friend who owns a shop?
Old 11-30-2002, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil, oil everywhere...

Joey,

Mine looks the same, maybe a little more oil. I spotted mine by looking in the side of my skidplate. Haven't ordered mine yet. Probably next week. How hard was it to get the skidplate off? 4 bolts? I need to clean my skidplate up and repaint it, too.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys you confirmed what I was thinking. I just got done ordering one from 4X4 Connection a few minutes ago. Paul the lift is on base. Cost me $3 an hour to rent it and every tool imaginable is included in that cost. Pretty good deal. Makes doing them little tasks much easier.

Cebby I take it you dont' change you own oil? The skidplate is 4 12mm bolts. Real simple. Just be careful when you put it back on not to crossthread the bolts. I've heard about alot of people with stripped skidplate bolts. It's not hard to do because the plate is kinda awkward to hold in place while starting the bolts. Good luck now go and order that stabilizer!
Old 11-30-2002, 11:03 AM

No digs...

Unfortunately, I don't change my own oil - I don't have the digs to be able to do it. I have a decent shop (two car detached garage), but it's full of tools, woodworking machines, and supplies (renovating my house). Do you have to remove the skidplate to get to the oil filter? Mine doesn't look like it's been off as frequently as I get my oil changed. I've been thankful that it has been in the high 40's here the last couple of days. I was able to get my low profile bumpstops on yesterday. I think I'm on par to do one mod to ten of yours.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have to remove the skidplate to get to the oil filter?
I am pretty sure you do. It may be possible without taking it off but it would be one PAIN ITA to do!

I was able to get my low profile bumpstops on yesterday.
I need some part #'s!! I want to do this mod as well!
Old 11-30-2002, 12:29 PM

Stay Tuned...

...For my Write Up. I just got my pics off of the digital and will be typin' away tonight or tomorrow. FYI - I used the 2" dia. universal low profile 11/16" thick. Cheap mod ($21 or so in parts)
Old 12-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

I don't take off the skid plate when I change the oil. I reach up from underneath and behind the engine to change the filter. If you don't mind getting a bit of oil dripping down your arm, it's pretty easy.

If your steering stabilizer is shot, does your steering wheel want to fight you when going up acceleration lanes and exit ramps? Mine does that, and I'm wondering if my stabilizer is shot.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-07-2002, 11:48 AM

The Procrastination is OVER!

Alright, I'm finally done procrastinating. I just ordered mine, too. My local shop quoted me $100 for the thing. 4x4 Connection - under $65 to my door!
Old 12-07-2002, 12:49 PM
CTB

Hopefully Santa will be good to me and I'll have one waiting under the tree in a few weeks!