Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What do I need to clear 35" tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
The extra width, not the height is the problem.

I am running 305/70/16 MT/R's (33 12.50 16) no problem with ome springs, 1" cornfed spacer and rb 2" inche body lift. I could probley fit 315's but I would not be able to flex the front at all. + I dont want to have to regear! I even have a limited with the big flares.

take a look at the pics

sliders go on in the morning!

community.webshots.com/user/4runner4me

Last edited by 4runner4me; 05-18-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Those mud run videos are on the way to Chris to be posted. Shazad and Chris on 35's, the next SE4RJ should be very interesting. You guys thinking about slickrock?
If I can get a front locker, 5.29's, my drivetrain lift, new crossmembers, and relocate my gas tank, then yes Slickrock shouldn't be much trouble. Without those items, I don't think it is possible in our rigs.

Chris
Old 05-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
If I can get a front locker, 5.29's, my drivetrain lift, new crossmembers, and relocate my gas tank, then yes Slickrock shouldn't be much trouble. Without those items, I don't think it is possible in our rigs.

Chris
I rarely if ever even hit the center section under the tranny t-case, it's the gas tank that always get it. My custom skid is holding up so unbelivably well. After an entire year of some real hard wheeling, it's still fine.

I like the drive train lift and the Roger Brown engine spacers. How do you know they will work for the 4Runner frame, he only talks about 22RE. I can get the Front Range rear crossmember which is really nice for the dual case setup.

Someday when I get time, I'll put the rear leafs on, but right now I would much rather work on my business and sell bumpers.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 05-19-2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

a couple observations i would like to make...

- MTRs are very overrated, Revo ATs are VERY underrated
- 35s arent for everyone, heck not even 285s
- build your 4Runner for your needs, not someone elses
- Brett and Bill did 4,5,6,8 with 32s while everyone else had 285s and there were no problems
- gas prices suck
- 285s and about 300lbs of steel makes ˟˟˟˟ty gas mileage and no power with 4.10s

can you guess whats on my agenda?

its not just tires and tire sizes that gets hiped up, but front suspension, rear bumpers, lockers, etc...i get some good laughs from some of the newbie posts on this board, i think people get so caught up in Scheafer's site and others that are popular and they forget that Steve has built his 4R for AZ trails (although he has luckily managed to prove the 4R in other states ). i guess people see SAWs, 285s, rear bumpers, lockers and they assume that thats what they NEED to be capable off-road. we all know this is far from true, just ask "running boards".

by far the best dollar for dollar investment i made were the TrailCarnage skid plates. my skid plates were abused, dents and full length scratches on the plates rather than on the t-case/tranny.

***these comments are not necessarily pointed to anyone on this thread, i chose this thread to mention it because i know Chris, Shazad, and Brett personally and Steve and I are on the same page as well...these are just general observations

Old 05-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

What Steve isnt God? :wtf:

Just some friendly banter
Old 05-19-2004, 05:05 PM

I rarely if ever even hit the center section under the tranny t-case, it's the gas tank that always get it. My custom skid is holding up so unbelivably well. After an entire year of some real hard wheeling, it's still fine.
That's odd! You must not be running big enough rocks! J/K, but I drag my whole undercarriage all the time. It's not really an issue of hitting or not and having good enough solid protection, but rather, i don't want to hit at all. Making strong protection is the easy part, but avoiding hitting the undercarriage at all is where all the custom fabrication comes into play. I can't even count all the times that I've dragged my undercarriage and it's prevented me from making the obstacle that I was trying.
I like the drive train lift and the Roger Brown engine spacers. How do you know they will work for the 4Runner frame, he only talks about 22RE. I can get the Front Range rear crossmember which is really nice for the dual case setup.
I was talking with some guys over on Pirate, and I got to talking with Roger, and he said that he makes the spacers for both the 22RE and our motors, so I bought a set from him for $80. I haven't had the time to really concentrate on the drivetrain lift at this point, but it will happen fairly soon. I've still got to relocate my tank, finish my rear bumper, and then start custom fabbing up my new crossmembers, rear links and the drivetrain lift all about the same time.
Someday when I get time, I'll put the rear leafs on, but right now I would much rather work on my business and sell bumpers.
That's outstanding Steve! I'm so impressed with your success in selling your first batch, and I had a chance to see two of them in action this past weekend, and they seemed to work flawlessly, other than the apparant things everyone has already talked about. Great job man!

Chris
Old 05-19-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
a couple observations i would like to make...

- MTRs are very overrated, Revo ATs are VERY underrated
I agree totally! It's not that the MT/r's are bad tires, they are great tires. But, they cost a lot, they typically don't balance/ride that great on the road, unless you're lucky, and the highway ride is no where near the quality and quietness of the Revo's. As I've said before, I'm a huge Revo fan, and I just wish they made a 35" tire.
- 35s arent for everyone, heck not even 285s
I think everyone would agree with that. Obviously, for those that wheel often and hard, the bigger 35" tires have huge advantages over a stock 31" or 32" tire. But, I'd say for most of the average weekend warrior, they are definitely not needed for the majority of 3rd gen owners just due to the mild wheeling that most of them do. Now, othe r hadn, for those that have front and rear lockers and aren't afraid to break and damage stuff like some of us are, then I have to say that 35" tires are the only way to go.
- build your 4Runner for your needs, not someone elses
- Brett and Bill did 4,5,6,8 with 32s while everyone else had 285s and there were no problems
Yepper, and they did a great job at it too. Don't forget about Doc in his bone stock 2nd gen either. They all did a great job, and where most people get into trouble with a stock or even modified rig is simply too much gas, and taking the wrong lines.
- gas prices suck
I'll second that one!
- 285s and about 300lbs of steel makes ˟˟˟˟ty gas mileage and no power with 4.10s
Especially after having a S/C, it really sucks!
can you guess whats on my agenda?
Nope, please tell!
its not just tires and tire sizes that gets hiped up, but front suspension, rear bumpers, lockers, etc...i get some good laughs from some of the newbie posts on this board, i think people get so caught up in Scheafer's site and others that are popular and they forget that Steve has built his 4R for AZ trails (although he has luckily managed to prove the 4R in other states ). i guess people see SAWs, 285s, rear bumpers, lockers and they assume that thats what they NEED to be capable off-road. we all know this is far from true, just ask "running boards".

by far the best dollar for dollar investment i made were the TrailCarnage skid plates. my skid plates were abused, dents and full length scratches on the plates rather than on the t-case/tranny.

***these comments are not necessarily pointed to anyone on this thread, i chose this thread to mention it because i know Chris, Shazad, and Brett personally and Steve and I are on the same page as well...these are just general observations

Great post man! I really enjoyed meeting you, and hope we can do it again soon. I've got a get together this Saturday night for a night run with a club I'm in up here. Should be a good time. We ought to plan another trip at Windrock soon.

Chris
Old 05-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravencr
I agree totally! It's not that the MT/r's are bad tires, they are great tires. But, they cost a lot, they typically don't balance/ride that great on the road, unless you're lucky, and the highway ride is no where near the quality and quietness of the Revo's. As I've said before, I'm a huge Revo fan, and I just wish they made a 35" tire.I think everyone would agree with that. Obviously, for those that wheel often and hard, the bigger 35" tires have huge advantages over a stock 31" or 32" tire. But, I'd say for most of the average weekend warrior, they are definitely not needed for the majority of 3rd gen owners just due to the mild wheeling that most of them do. Now, othe r hadn, for those that have front and rear lockers and aren't afraid to break and damage stuff like some of us are, then I have to say that 35" tires are the only way to go.Yepper, and they did a great job at it too. Don't forget about Doc in his bone stock 2nd gen either. They all did a great job, and where most people get into trouble with a stock or even modified rig is simply too much gas, and taking the wrong lines.I'll second that one!Especially after having a S/C, it really sucks!Nope, please tell!Great post man! I really enjoyed meeting you, and hope we can do it again soon. I've got a get together this Saturday night for a night run with a club I'm in up here. Should be a good time. We ought to plan another trip at Windrock soon.

Chris
I'd be up for a Windrock ride, let's pick a time.

Also, don't forget about Ernie in the Taco, he had 32's, 5 spd and 3.90 gears and also did Trails 4,5,6, and 8.

By far, I think the best investment are sliders, then a locker and skidplates.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:59 PM

? on lifts

Originally Posted by Jboy
One more thing, the 6in Trailmaster lifted runners here all run 33x12.5R16 so that tells me you need at least 6 if not more to clear 35s and run them fully extended. I`m thinking 35s to for my next tires but I don`t want a 3 in body lift, max for me would be the 1.5 in bl.

What year runner is running the 6 inch lift? I would like somthing that big, but the largest i can find for my 99 is a 3 inch lift from revtec.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jjmayne
What year runner is running the 6 inch lift? I would like somthing that big, but the largest i can find for my 99 is a 3 inch lift from revtec.
you have to get a tacoma lift and custom fab it to fit into a runner. Or slap on a 3" BL, and then 3" susp lift
Old 05-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
I'd be up for a Windrock ride, let's pick a time.

Also, don't forget about Ernie in the Taco, he had 32's, 5 spd and 3.90 gears and also did Trails 4,5,6, and 8.

By far, I think the best investment are sliders, then a locker and skidplates.
Ernie also had a locrite locker
Old 05-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

click here for cheap tire

ok If I get the 34x10.50-16LT and mount them on some black stealies. How much taller will I be? I'll call them up tomorrow and see if they have a 35" tire. But for $122 for a swamper tire, I think thats a pretty good deal?

and they have a deal right now, free balancing, stems, caps, lugs, and shipping

Last edited by sdastg1; 05-19-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 PM

The plan

Originally Posted by sdastg1
you have to get a tacoma lift and custom fab it to fit into a runner. Or slap on a 3" BL, and then 3" susp lift

I think im planning to do the three inch revtec lift with a one inch body......Will i run into any problems with this combo or is it fairly maintenance free?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 PM
zesty

Originally Posted by sdastg1
click here for cheap tire

ok If I get the 34x10.50-16LT and mount them on some black stealies. How much taller will I be? I'll call them up tomorrow and see if they have a 35" tire. But for $122 for a swamper tire, I think thats a pretty good deal?

and they have a deal right now, free balancing, stems, caps, lugs, and shipping
Those tires are tits. Supposed to be tougher than regular TSL's. You will probobly gain 1" of clearance with them.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jjmayne
I think im planning to do the three inch revtec lift with a one inch body......Will i run into any problems with this combo or is it fairly maintenance free?
all your doing is putting in spacers and a body lift, so you should be fine. I think the revtek kit comes with a diff drop so you should be fine there as well. Just remember to drive a couple of hundred miles and then go get an alignment.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Chris, I have bigger tires. My drivetrain is up alot higher.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:57 AM

Chris, I have bigger tires. My drivetrain is up alot higher.
Well, I know your drivetrain is higher up, 1" to be exact, but imagine now having the equivalent clearance underneath yours as if you were running 38-40" tires? That would be sweet wouldn't it?

Chris