Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last one...I will take more after I head to the car wash tonight to get my tires cleaned up. Is there anything special that I need to do to my Tech1's before using a Tire Foam and high pressure water and soap and stuff on them? If not then I will be going there tonight and MAY post pics when I get home...will be kinda late.

Anyway, here is the last one..

Pic 3:
Attached Thumbnails Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting-image004.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 04:34 PM

"Toyota, Built Ford Tough Using Toyota Parts"
-Chris

I was at a car show and there was an old Ford Farlane that said on the inside of it "Built Ford Tough with Chrysler stuff." Stuff would sound better than 'parts'.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Good call man...

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking Good

Looking good there Finkaroo!

Old 11-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Running boards.......wha...............?????????

Hopefully you at least take those off when you go on the trails

Looks good dude
Old 11-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks wabbit! Finkaroo...haven't heard that one before.

The board come off when I do any kind of off-road use...I usually give my girlfriend a ride to and from school and shes not up to my 6'2" height yet so she needs some help gettin in.

What's really funny is she doesn't like how they look...I was like, yeah well I don't like half of the crap you buy at the mall and yet I say I do when you wear it...

Anyway, I just got home from the car wash and boy does the rig look good. Its not one of those high priced "sit on your lazy ass and watch your car get clean" kinda deals, its the one with the high pressure wands and the tire cleaner stuff. My tires are the blackest that I have EVER seen them!! I am going to go take a pic of them now and then I will try and post it tonight or maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Couple questions though:

1. I am noticing now that when I drive down my dirt road, the steering seems more susceptible (sp?) to the rocks and bumps and stuff. As in the steering wheel moves a lot when driving down it...and it always seems to pull to the left...what could cause this?

2. What should I do about the silver balancing weights? Paint them? What kind of paint and how do I do it?

3. What are all of you Rock Crawler fools usin for valve stem caps, I bought some black ones but apparently they were just painted black because now they are a nice shiny CHROME!! I am thinking about going to buy some more and maybe spraying them with a coat or two of Polyurethane.

4. What to do about the exposed mechanics after having the center caps removed...what to do in the front other than Aisins? What about the back?

Thanks for the help guys!

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a picture to show how much the stance has changed, the tires used to be inside the wheel wells:
Old 11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a picture to show how much the stance has changed, the tires used to be inside the wheel wells:
Attached Thumbnails Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting-image012.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! How did you get black door handles?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't, they're chrome.

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I didn't, they're chrome.

Fink
They look black in your pics.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, its probably reflecting off my 4wheeler thats right next to it.

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 09:06 PM

When I was more vain, I used a paint pen on the wheel weights. Now that they only spend about a month on there, I just leave them.

My valve covers are chrome and shiny! They came with the Equal and have springs, so I have just left them, bigger fish to fry.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Finkaroo

1. I am noticing now that when I drive down my dirt road, the steering seems more susceptible (sp?) to the rocks and bumps and stuff. As in the steering wheel moves a lot when driving down it...and it always seems to pull to the left...what could cause this?
Steelies are heavier and have a different feel than the OEM rims. If it is still acting up in a week or two, sounds like you might just need an alignment.

2. What should I do about the silver balancing weights? Paint them? What kind of paint and how do I do it?
black Sharpie pen or OEM black touch-up paint like you use on your rig or spray some black Rustoleum in the cap and use a small brush

3. What are all of you Rock Crawler fools usin for valve stem caps, I bought some black ones but apparently they were just painted black because now they are a nice shiny CHROME!! I am thinking about going to buy some more and maybe spraying them with a coat or two of Polyurethane.
Mine are just the plain old plastic black ones that I stole off the kid next door's ATV.

4. What to do about the exposed mechanics after having the center caps removed...what to do in the front other than Aisins? What about the back?
Glossy Black Rustoleum spray paint. Jack up rig one side. Take off tires front and rear. Mask off rotor and brake stuff. Spray center area front and rear. Repeat other side. Tada!

Fink
I'd ditch the running boards and just offer to physically pick up the girlfriend into the rig while opening the door for her. You know, chivalry.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Thats true...the other thing is I like the protection it provides from rocks on my dirt road...I have heard that even with front mud guards rocks still hit the body.

Thanks for the advice guys, it will probably be a little bit on painting the centers and stuff...I will take a sharpie to the weights tonight...we'll see how long that lasts.

Fink
Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Thanks wabbit! Finkaroo...haven't heard that one before.

The board come off when I do any kind of off-road use...I usually give my girlfriend a ride to and from school and shes not up to my 6'2" height yet so she needs some help gettin in.

What's really funny is she doesn't like how they look...I was like, yeah well I don't like half of the crap you buy at the mall and yet I say I do when you wear it...

Anyway, I just got home from the car wash and boy does the rig look good. Its not one of those high priced "sit on your lazy ass and watch your car get clean" kinda deals, its the one with the high pressure wands and the tire cleaner stuff. My tires are the blackest that I have EVER seen them!! I am going to go take a pic of them now and then I will try and post it tonight or maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Couple questions though:

Fink
I noticed my truck is more susceptible to cross winds and pavement irregularities now, but I changed tires at the same time so I'm not surprised.

I used plain old cheap rubber valve stems.

Dunno about the weights, mine all ended up inside and I'm vibration free up to 90mph. Maybe try some black spray enamel. That's' what I used to paint the rear hub centers. I didn't bother with the fronts. The wheel center hole is small enough that you don't really notice the hub.

Last edited by JSharp; 11-20-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not too worried about the fronts cause I'm gonna be gettin some Aisin hubs here soon...I will probably do what wabbit suggested for the rears, jack up the back and take off the wheels and then mask everything off and spray em...that will be later on down the road though, I'm not too concerned with the look of it.

Fink