Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedy
Yes that makes perfect sense. I'll need to do some more thinking.
And its a damn good thing I posted it 3 times too!!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Yes that makes perfect sense. I'll need to do some more thinking.
I did some testing last night on this and it works. Cutting the ground momentarily disables the VSC, TRAC, and ABS just like a regular switch does. Now the question is, does momentarily breaking this connection, then allowing it to reconnect with the truck running have any potential to cause problems?

If not, then a regular push botton switch will work, such as a clutch start cancel or factory TRAC control switch assuming they are just normal push button switches normally closed.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Simon
And its a damn good thing I posted it 3 times too!!
Ya' know, you can delete your own posts.

Go to the post, Click EDIT, then check the DELETE box at the top of the edit section.

(or just click the DELETE button if you're setup for the in-place edits)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM

I did some testing last night on this and it works. Cutting the ground momentarily disables the VSC, TRAC, and ABS just like a regular switch does. Now the question is, does momentarily breaking this connection, then allowing it to reconnect with the truck running have any potential to cause problems?

If not, then a regular push botton switch will work, such as a clutch start cancel or factory TRAC control switch assuming they are just normal push button switches normally closed.
Have You been running this momentary setup allowing it to reconnect with truck running, any problems develop?
Did You find out if the csc or trac switches were indeed momentary n/c?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I do not think the factory TRAC switch will work, as you want a switch that allows the ground wire to stay intact until you want to interrupt it. From what I understand, the factory TRAC switch only connects when you push it.

As long as the signal is interupted for a second or so, the systems will stay disarmed until you start the truck again. My normal fog lamp on/off switch has been working flawlessly since I started this whole "AndyMod" mess

When I need normal 4WD, I flip the switch until the lights come on, then flip it back. That way, everything is back on line the next time I start the truck.

Andreas
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
i tried this mod on my 2001 4runner LTD in '05.. i didnt work for me.. yes abs/trac/vsc was disabled but my engine would still throttle down when i was trying to play (in the mud or snow) it didnt make since... i traced the wires from the wheel sensors to this plug.. so that meant something was still working.. then i saw the black box to the right of the brake cylinder.. unplug that and the entire computer in charge of these systems go down.. give it a try.. find the ground in this wire bundle and wire a toggle into it..
KILL the computer, play in the mud..
Old 01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ETRNL
find the ground in this wire bundle and wire a toggle into it.. KILL the computer, play in the mud..
I'm not sure what you mean. This is the whole idea behind the "AndyMod".

Did you read the entire thread?

Andreas
Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

TRAC is your friend! LOL

Don't kill it just add a rear locker to it and leave it on. That way the rear is locked and the front will still benefit from the TRAC system and act a lot like a LSD in the front. Then you are better off than a stock elocker 4Runner IMHO.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
I'm not sure what you mean. This is the whole idea behind the "AndyMod".

Did you read the entire thread?

Andreas
no i didnt read this whole thread but i have read many like it.. i went and looked again i did splice the "right" wire.. the red one. my tires will spin but my engine will throttle down, meaning that part of the system is still running.. as for lockers im pretty sure only my center locks up..
Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

no i didnt read this whole thread but i have read many like it.. i went and looked again i did splice the "right" wire.. the red one. my tires will spin but my engine will throttle down, meaning that part of the system is still running.. as for lockers im pretty sure only my center locks up..
While this thread is one of the longest on YotaTech, it's worth skimming through it to see how much tinkering we did before realizing that you could simply interrupt the ground wire to the fluid pressure sensor in order to defeat the systems.

If you indeed interrupted the right wire, do you have it hooked to a normal on/off switch? Did you ever simply unplug the connector to see what what happen? The mod does work.

Andreas - Creator of the AndyMod
Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 PM

yes i did try just unplugging the connector.. but then i would just get mud in the plug.. so i spliced a nc spst switch into the red wire.. with that i still have the engine throttle down on me.. ye si want the tire spin but what good is it if the engine throttles down to sick you in the mud/snow?? i just went a tested it again in the snow.. unless there is something different with my runner this dosnt work with my vehicle..
instead of arguing with you saying it dosent work i will ask am i doing something wrong???
Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

It sounds like you took the right steps. I will say that the ground wire connection seems very sensitive to voltage fluctuations/bad connections. I would double check your connections and solder them if possible. The first time I crimped into the red wire, I actually broke the strands, resulting in a partially-successful attempt. What gauge wire did you use between the red wire and your switch?

Where are you located? If you're within reasonable range, I'd be glad to meet up and look over your install.

Andreas
Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM

i checked my connection with my fluke. and when i installed the wire i did solder them. as far as gauge the wire i used was a hair smaller than the wire i spliced into.. and i am located north of SLC, UT
guess i should update my stuff huh..
Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm. SLC is a bit far for an on-site diagnosis

I presume you cut the red wire, attached a long lead to each end, and ran these to your on/off switch? If so, that is the AndyMod in a nutshell. Did you pull any ABS-related fuses or tinker with the ABS system in any other way?

Andreas
Old 01-21-2007, 05:21 PM

yes i have tried it all, from pulling the pink and blue relay (abs and vsc/trac)on the passenger side of the engine bay, disconnecting the actual wheel sensors, pulling the brake plug, but the only one i have been happy with is disconnecting the black plug on the right of the brake cylinder it is the only one that lets me fully control the engine and wheel spin. although i do see where a trac could be useful over an open diff..
currently all i have is the switch..
being its a LTD would make something different would it??
Old 01-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

being its a LTD would make something different would it??
I firmly believe the 2001-2002 4WD V6 models had the same multi-mode 4WD systems. LTD added leather, automatic HVAC, etc. But underneath, the mechanicals were the same.

Andreas
Old 01-21-2007, 06:02 PM

I recently did this on my 2002 SR5 4x4. Worked like a champ. Simply spliced in a Toyota non-illuminated switch inline. When you flip the switch do all the warning lights illuminate on the dash? You should see a VSC, TRAC, and ABS lamp when the system is de-activated.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 PM

yea i get all of the lights but my problem is the part that controls the engine is still active.. it limits rpms untill i get traction..
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM

yea i get all of the lights but my problem is the part that controls the engine is still active.. it limits rpms untill i get traction..
That's odd. I can roast my tire with the switch flipped. I can't imagine what's different about yours. It is a US model right?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 AM

um yea as far as i am aware it is a us model..

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?