Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aowRS
Lee,
As for a write-up, the ANDYMOD™ is actually so easy that I'll give the steps here.
Parts:
- (1) On/Off rocker switch. I used one of the standard factory foglight rocker switches (Toyota part# 550-35976).
- 8' of 18 gauge automotive wire. This is for two lengths between the switch and the master cylinder.
- (2) female spade connectors to be used at the switch
- (2) barrel connectors, crimp-on style.
- Electrical tape
- Heat shrink tubing (optional)
- Zip ties

Tools:
- Wire cutters
- Wire stripper/crimper
- Razor blade

Before doing anything on the 4Runner, I made a wiring harness using the rocker switch, spade connectors, and wiring. The actual distance from where the switch mounts .....lights go out. At this point, flip the switch and watch that the lights come on. You have now interrupted the ground for the pressure sensor connector and can operate the truck without any TRAC or VSC intervention. Flip the switch to "Off" and restart the truck. All systems should be back to normal.....

Pressure sensor connector:

"Hope that helps!

Andreas
i found this post from way back
i removed that same connector on my '03
and it did turn off the VSC but it acted a bit odd
i'm still waiting for a more complete solution for the 4th gen, cause i think VSC is more tied into the ecu than the 3rd gen
Old 12-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LEADfoot
i found this post from way back
i removed that same connector on my '03
and it did turn off the VSC but it acted a bit odd
i'm still waiting for a more complete solution for the 4th gen, cause i think VSC is more tied into the ecu than the 3rd gen
Acted a bit odd in what way? I'm just scared to pull anything for fear the computer freaks and I have to visit the stealer.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Does anyone own the 4th Gen shop manuals yet? It shouldn't be that hard to track down similar wiring. I'm sure many of the basic systems carried over from the 3rd Gen.

Andreas
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

I've got 3 manuals, but am not (auto) mechanical enough to correlate what you've written about 3rd Gens to what I read in the 4th Gen manuals. I'd be more than happy to scan and post PDF's of all relevant materials for someone else to discern the necessary info. Let me know, but appreciate it's a bad time of the year to find the time needed to assemble the doc.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 AM

yeah.. i unpluged the switch and the vcs did turn off

but part throttle wouldn't respond and not as much power at full throttle
like it was still trying to cut power...i really couldn't get it to do a burn-out
or even spin the wheels

so i think the 4th gen is going to be trickier
just my opinion though
Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 PM

link to calrockx doesn't work anymore, any update?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

i take down pictures from a thread after a while.

update on what?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:01 PM

Is this still the preferred method of disabling the trac control? I too have run into the same issue you guys do and it's very frusturating.

I came across this thread when searching for a way to disable trac with a switch.

Since this thread is ancient, and all the pics of wiring diagrams are gone, I have a concern. Normally ground wires are there for a reason, to give circuit continuity. Without a ground you can have a short. I've also seen a couple of threads where people have had issues with this mod after time, which would seem to give merit to my concern.

Are those that completed this still going along fine with no issues? My concern is that disabling the ground in order to defeat the system could cause bigger problems over the long term such as causing damage to the VSC, ABS, or other ECU module associated with this system.

Last edited by Speedy; 10-05-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
lee
Contributing Member

yes it is the preferred method and it is awesome for wheelin'.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy
Is this still the preferred method of disabling the trac control? I too have run into the same issue you guys do and it's very frusturating.

I came across this thread when searching for a way to disable trac with a switch.

Since this thread is ancient, and all the pics of wiring diagrams are gone, I have a concern. Normally ground wires are there for a reason, to give circuit continuity. Without a ground you can have a short. I've also seen a couple of threads where people have had issues with this mod after time, which would seem to give merit to my concern.

Are those that completed this still going along fine with no issues? My concern is that disabling the ground in order to defeat the system could cause bigger problems over the long term such as causing damage to the VSC, ABS, or other ECU module associated with this system.
I've been running that wat for about 1.5 years. Sometime I'll have the TRAC control off for months at a time and other times I'll have it on for months at a time. There was one time that it turned off (meaning TRAC off) for a while and the switch wouldn't do anything, then one day if came back on. I think it was water in the connection. Other than that no problem. I tell everyone who has a '01-'02 to do it.

-Simon
Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

I've had it for a while now, no problems at all.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I've been running that wat for about 1.5 years. Sometime I'll have the TRAC control off for months at a time and other times I'll have it on for months at a time. There was one time that it turned off (meaning TRAC off) for a while and the switch wouldn't do anything, then one day if came back on. I think it was water in the connection. Other than that no problem. I tell everyone who has a '01-'02 to do it.

-Simon
Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Did anyone ever try it with the factory momentary switch? I could run some testing to see if that would work, but would rather avoid the trouble if it's been tried already.

The factory momentary switch would be ideal as the Trac system would be disabled when you hit the switch, but would automagically be re-engaged when the vehicle was restarted, which is required regardless of switch used.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

I don't believe anyone's tried this, but please do, and keep us posted of the results!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:05 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Did anyone ever try it with the factory momentary switch? I could run some testing to see if that would work, but would rather avoid the trouble if it's been tried already.

The factory momentary switch would be ideal as the Trac system would be disabled when you hit the switch, but would automagically be re-engaged when the vehicle was restarted, which is required regardless of switch used.
I thought Andy used the factory switch just for looks. But in order for it to work like the way your talking about, I think you would have to put a relay in line with the switch to get it to trun off when you turn the 4runner off. I could be wrong about that though. Let us know.

-Simon
Old 10-08-2006, 10:28 AM

I would think that a 'clutch start cancel' switch from a manual would work well --- assuming that there is a relay built into the switch. I've been meaning to look into this ...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:16 AM

I thought Andy used the factory switch just for looks. But in order for it to work like the way your talking about, I think you would have to put a relay in line with the switch to get it to trun off when you turn the 4runner off. I could be wrong about that though. Let us know.

-Simon
Well, it depends on how the mementary switch works. I believe that if you can use your currently installed toggle switch to disable the systems, then turn the switch back on while the truck is still running and the systems remain disabled, then the factory momentary switch will work. That would mean that a momentary break in the signal disables the system. Now my theory hinges on the factory switch being a true momentary switch. However, I'm not sure I want to spend $70 on a switch just to find out.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
I would think that a 'clutch start cancel' switch from a manual would work well --- assuming that there is a relay built into the switch. I've been meaning to look into this ...
What would the relay do? I'm well versed in relay function, I'm just not sure I understand what benefit it would have here?

In a regular momentary swtich, pushing the button on the switch makes a contact. In our project here, that would be like flipping the toggle switch that everyone else here has used to complete this mod. The difference is when the momentary switch is released it should be closed again.

I guess the real question is:

Is the factory momentary switch normally open, or normally closed? If normally closed, then it should work. If normally open, I don't think it will.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the factory momentary switch normally open, or normally closed? If normally closed, then it should work. If normally open, I don't think it will.
Well, the mod is documented as:
You have now interrupted the ground for the pressure sensor connector and can operate the truck without any TRAC or VSC intervention.
so it sounds like you want to interrupt the ground to turn off TRAC/VSC. That would imply that the switch is NC. if not, there are plenty of NO push buttons around - or, use a latching relay and a NO switch to flip the state of the relay. Of course then you'd probably want to hang an indicator lamp in parallel on the output side to show if the relay is open (TRAC/VSC disabled) or closed (TRAC/VSC enabled).
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM

I guess you could use a button that momentairly cuts the ground connection when the button is pushed in, turning off the VSC/TRAC. So when you shut the truck off and trun it back on the VSC/TRAC would be back on. Im just not sure if its good to disconnect the ground and reconnect and leave it connect with the truck running. Does that make any sense? On a side note, my VSC/TRAC shut itself off for no apparent reason. I think its a water short.

-Simon
Old 10-08-2006, 05:18 PM

I guess you could use a button that momentairly cuts the ground connection when the button is pushed in, turning off the VSC/TRAC. So when you shut the truck off and trun it back on the VSC/TRAC would be back on. Im just not sure if its good to disconnect the ground and reconnect and leave it connect with the truck running. Does that make any sense? On a side note, my VSC/TRAC shut itself off for no apparent reason. I think its a water short.

-Simon
Yes that makes perfect sense. I'll need to do some more thinking.

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?