Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, I came up with a solution! I traded the '01 for a 2000! Damn it feels good to be in control again, but sucks to be stock (not for long...lift goin on wednsday, Slee. 8:30 am!)

Dozer
Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

i'm gonna step in and say i like the VSC/TRAC. it's nice to know it's there for on road driving in case you do something stupid. and it's easy disable thanks to the andymod, so booyah, best of both worlds.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
i'm gonna step in and say i like the VSC/TRAC. it's nice to know it's there for on road driving in case you do something stupid. and it's easy disable thanks to the andymod, so booyah, best of both worlds.
I have to agree with Calrockx. As much as I absolutely hate VSC/A-Trac offroad, it certainly has major benefits on paved roads.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thats true, EXCEPT when youre on the road, come to a stop, and there happens to be some ˟˟˟˟˟˟ sand or something as youre trying to turn onto a street... then you spin your tire a smidge and you get TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK! and suddenly youre sideswiped by the truck you were trying to turn in front of!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Ahhh... very good point Lee! Forgot about that excellent "feature"...
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Safety Tip, lee: don't turn in front of speeding oncoming trucks
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 AM
lee
Contributing Member

you, sir, have never driven in the city of boston!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
andymod

im ready for the andymod and wondered if a relay has been incorparated into yet? has anyone else experienced any electrical issues, not related to their work?
why does the stock "trac off" dash light dissapear (trac back on) when you accelerate hard from a stop? does it 'know' better than the driver? i guess thats the point of the andymod
Old 08-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
why does the stock "trac off" dash light dissapear (trac back on) when you accelerate hard from a stop? does it 'know' better than the driver?
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Could you elaborate some more?

I've had no issues with my wiring - everything works as intended and I have the freedom to shut the systems down at will. I think the key to a successful installation is that the connections are sound. Going wild and power crimping the connectors can result in broken wires, and a non-functional AndyMod™.

Andreas
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Andreas,

Just looking for clarification about your mod. In the section where you say...

"Make sure the pressure connector is plugged back in and start the truck. If the ABS, TRAC and VSC lights come on, then the switch is "On". It's up to you to determine how you want your switch oriented. Once you have it setup so that the switch is in the "Off" position, start the truck and make sure all of the system lights go out. At this point, flip the switch and watch that the lights come on. You have now interrupted the ground for the pressure sensor connector and can operate the truck without any TRAC or VSC intervention. Flip the switch to "Off" and restart the truck. All systems should be back to normal."

Without the Andymod, your ground wire would be connected to the fluid pressure connector. When you talk about the switch being 'ON', to me that suggests that you have continuity in your switch (i.e. current can flow through), so with your switch 'ON', your systems should be back to normal. With your switch 'OFF', you break the current path and effectively "unplug the connector". Is that not right?

Please clarify if I'm wrong. Thanks.

PS. Great work on disabling these systems. I'm planning on trying the Andymod sometime soon.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

"On" and "Off" is just my way of looking at this. By "On", I think the AndyMod™ is on (or functioning). Since you are using a simple on/off switch, it really does not matter how one labels it, since the systems are either functioning as per the factory setup, or they are disabled.

So yes, logically, "On" would mean that everything works correctly, and "Off" means that the systems are defeated. But logic did not come into play here...

I also emphasized that once the wiring is complete, you can easily switch the two wires at the back of the switch, or just rotate the switch to satisfy how you wish for it to be positioned.

Hope that helps!

Andreas
Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 AM

OK, Thanks

rotating the switch would work to swap your 'ON' and 'OFF' from top to bottom, but not swapping the two wires. On a two prong switch, there is either current flowing (switch to 'ON' position), or no current flowing (switch to 'OFF' position)... you can't change that by swapping the wire positions.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Hmm. I used an extra Toyota foglight switch I had laying around and found that switching the wires indeed allowed me to orient the rocker position as I wanted it. Check back a few pages and you should be able to see my switch and how it's labled/mounted.

Andreas
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aowRS
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Could you elaborate some more?
functional AndyMod™
with the engine on, i disable the trac, trac off light is on(dash) i floor it and the light goes off. why?
unplugging the sensor worked fine, so i'm thinking that a switch will allow for a successful andymod
Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

No idea on the light going off, but if you follow the steps I've outlined on this thread, you should be good to go for on-demand wheelspin!

Andreas
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Glad to see someone wiring in a switch. I planned on wiring in a switch after I discovered out how to disable the vsc and traction control but it is my wifes rig and she doesn't want it on either. If I go to sell our Sequoia I will just plug it back in.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 AM

When I do the Andymod, I'm actually thinking about wiring a momentary pushbutton (instead of a toggle switch) to energize a relay that has normally closed contacts. When the pushbutton is pressed, the relay contacts will open, breaking the ground connection, which will disable VSC, TRAC, ABS. (When the pushbutton is released, the relay will de-energize and close the contacts, but the VSC, TRAC and ABS will all remain disabled until the truck is turned off and restarted.) I figure that this is a good way to ensure that I don't forget to re-enable these systems when I'm done playing. Any thoughts?

PS. Has anybody thought about a way to re-enable the systems without having to restart the truck yet?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

If you go back and read through the posts, you'll see that a few of us theorized for weeks on how to allow the systems to come back on line without the need to restart the truck. In the end, the efforts stopped and I decided to forge ahead with a simple switch.

Feel free to give it a try. I thought that the voltage at the brake fluid pressure sensor is quite low? If this is true, bringing a relay into the mix may be difficult.

If you are worried about making sure the systems are back in working order, have no fear. The 4th-of-July warning light show in your instrument cluster will make sure you remember!

Andreas
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 AM

The solenoid in the relay would be powered through the pushbutton directly from a 12V supply, so there would be no problems energizing the relay. The voltage for the brake fluid pressure sensor would only go through the contacts of the relay.

I may have misunderstood your comment, though. Did you mean that the relay contacts might cause a high enough voltage drop (when they are closed) to affect the proper operation of the pressure sensor?

hahaha yeah, three bright yellow lights on the cluster would be pretty hard to miss, I guess

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 08-25-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

I guess what I wanted to say is that using a relay, etc. seems to be excessive. It's a simple 16-18g wire that gets cut and interrupted. I do think employing a momentary push-button switch would do the trick too. The ground wire just needs to be interrupted long enough to fault the systems.

Andreas

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?