Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Calrockx,
That was the initial intent, and we spent months theorizing how to integrate the factory TRAC OFF switch into the wiring. I even purchased one of the switches. In the end, no one really figured the wiring out, so I went with plan 'B'.
Since there really is no reason to shut the systems off while in traffic, the inconvenience of shutting the truck off and on, is a minor one. In all likelihood, you'll be offroad and will have the time to go through these steps.

Andreas
Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

calrockx,
I think you may just have to run that center connector to a good ground under the dash. I think that's what I did for the illuminated switch I used for my Hella 4000s.

Andreas
Old 05-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw andreas, i didn't mean to disparage all the effort put into this mod by my post on how it doesn't turn on/off on the fly, i was just surprised. but you're right, i will be offroad whenever i use this mod, and having to restart is a minor issue. it's gonna be fun wheelin without the computers.

anyway, here's my version of the install:

and behind the dash:

it's a tight fit, i had to trim a bit (just a little of that plastic) back there, but it fits.
for the "trac off" text i just printed on a mailing label and cut to size. it's not the prettiest, but i think it looks fine.
i tried to get the led light to work too with the switch, but gave up after a while. i tried a ground behind the dash, but it didn't work. i've got a wire attached for the light to the third prong and just taped it up back there, i'll figure out how to make that work later.

i tested it on-road, and it works just fine. thanks to everyone who helped develop this mod.

EDIT: okay, well the switch worked normally as far as making the dash light up with VSC/TRAC/ABS lights, indicating on or off. but when the switch was off, the vsc and trac weren't active, as they should be. i determined it's the switch by making a straight connection of the wires on the switch end, and then everything worked normally. so i'm just gonna use a simpler 2-prong toyota fog light switch and that should do the trick.

Last edited by calrockx; 05-18-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

calrockx,
Looks great! After I printed the "TRAC OFF" label, I shot the rocker portion of the switch with a few layers of satin polyurethane. The finish matches that of the rest of the switch and prevents the label from smearing or coming off down the road.

I guess that makes you number 3 with the official AndyMod™

Andreas
Old 05-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

just wanted to make an update...

so like i said, this mod doesn't work with the three pronged, led fog light switch. so, i got the two pronged regular fog light switch (part # PT297-89013sw) today, installed it and this mod works just fine.

Last edited by calrockx; 07-20-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear it - that looks very clean!

One observation though: your mod list includes : "All-weather Floor Mats", but no mention of the "AndyMod™". Hmm. I would argue that the significance of this mod, to the automotive world in general, far eclipses that of a floor mat.

Just pulling your leg!

Andreas
Old 05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
lee
Contributing Member

andreas, or anyone!

can someone post up a pic of the thing to remove in the engine bay to disable vsc & trac?? im going wheeling in NY tomorrow and cant remember for the life of me which one it is, and the pic in this thread is broken!

thanks!!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 PM
lee
Contributing Member

the pic is referenced here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&postcount=134
Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Andreas
Old 05-26-2005, 06:51 PM
lee
Contributing Member

you are the man!

thanks bro.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
aowRS,
Sorry... been away from the forum for awhile. I haven't cut those wires yet! As a matter of fact, I've haven't been back under the hood so I'll check and see what color the wires are. Did you come up with something or...?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Not for the Sequoia - sorry! Someone must have a shop manual here for the Sequioa.

Andreas
Old 06-19-2005, 07:24 PM
lee
Contributing Member

unplugging that thing worked like a charm when i went wheeling yesterday
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM

Well I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I ran into a problem a couple weeks ago pertaining to the traction control. I had added the switch to turn off the traction control and it worked fine for a couple months, but now, the lights stay on no matter what position the switch is in. Just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem. I did a search for this on yotatech and the other people who had this problem mentioned something about a valve that was bad or leaking, but I was wonding if my problem was related to this mod. Thanks.

-Simon
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for that pic. I had to unplug it when I did the dyno runs.

Originally Posted by aowRS

Andreas
Old 07-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Simon
Well I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread ...
I'm still following it and don't have much to offer (yet). Just this evening I was pouring over the diagnostic manual (2003) regarding TRAC and discovered there is a relay in my engine fuse box called TRAC MTR. Perhaps your's is on the fritz. In my rig, the relay is pink.

I tried pulling the relay out around midnight, but couldn't see much and it didn't want to budge. I'll have another look tomorrow. I also keep forgetting to inquire about the TRAC OFF switch that is listed in the manuals ... dang! I have to call in the am!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 AM

Yeah, I think I pulled that pink rely a long time ago and didn't see any noteble changes, i.e. warning lights for check engine lights. Here is the thread is was talking about where they said it might be a stuck valve. TRAC OFF, VSC TRAC, ABS lights on
Im just not sure if I can take it into a dealer to look at since I've been cutting wires and adding switches, they tend to frown on that sort of activity.

-Simon
Old 07-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

I'm sure the dealer will look at it, the question is would it be covered under warranty.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Simon,
Just got back into town. I too had problems after a few months and traced the issue to a broken wire at one of the crimp-on connections I had done. The wire was actually broken from crimping on the connector too firmly. I found better connectors and re-did the connections. No issues since. I think the whole setup is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, so a bad connection would through the warning lights pretty easily.

Andreas
Old 08-01-2005, 10:03 AM

Hmm, intresting. I did look at the connections, but I didn't take off the crimps ons to see if the wire was broken. I gave the wires a little tug and everything seems connected, but maybe not. I'll take a closer look when I have some time.

-Simon

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?