Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, I did find the pressure connector on the brake master cylinder... unpluged with engine running and sure enough dash VCS/Trac indicators lite up like a Xmas tree... pluged it back in and restarted all lights went off! Checked and found only 2 wires going to the connector instead of the 3 you have found on yours. Any way to figure out which one to splice in to?

For those that have performed the mod... all still working? Any other systems quit working since you modified? Has your truck grown wings or any thing else? Sequoia owners unite!!! We need to figure it out... which of the 2 wires is the one to splice into? Mine is a '01 Limited anybody else have this year? If so, take a look and see what you've got. Connector is at the front, under the brake fluid reservoir.

Last edited by Sequoia'd; 03-26-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
This is the response I received from someone on another forum:

"I unplugged a sensor on the brake master cylinder. This disabled the VSC and traction control but the ABS functions normally. On the Sequoia it was the sensor farthest forward and on the bottom of the master cylinder. If I was to wire in a toggle switch to one of the wires at the sensor I could select off or on."

Does anyone here have thoughts on this? Sounds almost too easy to me.

Andreas
Andreas,
Do you remember what forum you received this info from? I'd like to go there and see if they have figured out which wire to cut! Thanks, Bill
Old 03-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Bill,
I would find a wiring diagram for your Sequoia and identify which of the two wires is ground. If you interrupt that one, you will accomplish the same thing I did.

There have been no problems to date. I have switched my systems off at least a dozen times since completing the mod. Although I would have preferred using the factory TRAC OFF switch, my method does exactly what I need it to do, when I need it.

The quote that I posted came from Manson, on 4X4Wire.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 AM

Andreas,
Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try and find a diagram as you have suggested. I'm so close to having this truck like I want it... Got BFG MT's 285/75 16's (measure 33") on Weld Racing EVO Velociti 6 wheels, 2.5" lift in front. With this mod I'll be able to get traction when needed.
Switch and harness will be no problem.
Anybody got a wiring schematic for the '01 Sequoia? Let's turn this "Limited" into a "UNLIMITED"!

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT"S THE ANDY MOD ??? and where can we get the specifics? thnx
Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 AM

never mind saw it thnx i just need to read more ......heh heh
Old 03-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sequoia'd
... Got BFG MT's 285/75 16's (measure 33") on Weld Racing EVO Velociti 6 wheels, 2.5" lift in front... "UNLIMITED"!

Regards,
Bill
Old 04-09-2005, 10:43 AM

My Trac off switch

Here are a couple pics of my trac off switch, not as pretty as Andy's but still satisfies the goal. Straight line is trac on, circle means its doughnut time!
Attached Thumbnails VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?-100_0266.jpg   VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?-100_0267.jpg  
Old 04-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet!

AndyMopd
?

AndyMod™

Andreas
Old 04-10-2005, 07:02 AM

Ooops
Old 04-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

anyone have any (more) pictures of the switch harness made and the connections at the red wire?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

calrockx,
I can dig up a few more pics, but it's essentially an on/off rocker switch, a handful of spade connectors, and two lengths of wire. The red wire gets cuts where it's most accessible, and then the two ends of the switch wires get attached to the ends of the cut wire. Make solid connections, and shrink wrap or electrical tape everything nicely. Done deal.

Andreas
Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

right, sounds easy enough. i was just hoping to get some pictures before i start. i'm not so experienced with electrical work, so i guess i'm being extra cautious.

i've got a lot of 16 ga wire around, so i'm thinking i'll use that instead of 18 ga.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:59 PM

Still looking for a schematic for a 2001 Sequoia Brake pressure sensor area to show which wire is ground... anybody have one?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

like i said, i'm electrically retarded.

i just tried putting in this mod.

but i'm not sure which two of the three prongs at the end of the fog light switch to hook up to the two wires going to the master cylinder. there's a top middle and bottom, which 2?

and then once i do hook up the correct two, is it just that the orientation of the two determines which position if OFF and ON?

i played around with it, and sometimes the VSC and ABS dash lights would be on, other times i'd start the truck, they'd be off. also, a couple times they'd be on, and i'd flip the switch and they'd go off (meaning vsc is on as normal), but then when i flipped the switch again to turn vsc off, it wouldn't work.
help.

Last edited by calrockx; 05-11-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

calrockx,
Looks like you did it right. Hopefully this will help.
I used 18g wire, but 16g should be fine as well. If you are using a switch that has three prongs, you need to determine which of the three break the flow of current. My gues is the top and bottom. The middle prong may be for illumination of the switch. Try to find Corey's foglight switch writeup and you should see what I'm talking about.

In my case, the switch I used was non-illuminated, therefore it only has two prongs. How you attach the two wires is not important for functionality, rather for how the switch looks visually. In my case, I have the switch set in the "off" position when the bottom of the switch is pushed in. This way it matches the orientation of the two light switches I have above that. I'll try to dig up a pic and attach.

If you cut the red wire in the engine compartment and attached your two lengths of wire to these new ends, you should be in business. Make sure to crimp your connectors properly, as the first time I did it, the crimping action actually broke the fine wire, giving me intermittent results. When you've got everything hooked up, check to see what happens when you start the truck. If your switch is pushed in at the bottom (signifying "off" status) but the VSC/TRAC/ABS lights are on, simple pull the switch and plug your wires in the other way. Also, make sure your battery is disconnected while you are working on the wiring.

To use the mod, you flip the rocker switch, effectively shutting down TRAC/VSC/ABS. In order to bring the systems back online, you need to make sure the switch is flipped back, and then simply restart the truck. Since the system only needs to sense a break in the ground wire to cause a shutdown, you can also flip the switch, wait a few seconds, and then switch it back. The systems should be shut down, allowing you to do what you need before restarting the truck.

Shout if you have any questions

Andreas
Old 05-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

oooh, i thought the way this switch worked is that you flip it once to turn off vsc/trac/abs, and the flip it again on the fly to put it all back on. i didn't know you have to restart the truck to get those systems back online.
in that case, i got it working.

and turns out with my switch, it's the top two prongs.

oh well, it'd be cool if it were like that, but this is still pretty neat. thanks andreas.
pics coming soon.

Last edited by calrockx; 05-11-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Bill (Sequoia'd),
What are the colors of the wires at your brake fluid pressure sensor?

Andreas
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

oh say i wanted to wire up the light, if i add another connector that, which wire do i tap into to power it?

Quick Reply: VSC / TRAC defeating - is anyone closer?