lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.. its not the faster you can go.. its the more torque you can generate
Old 03-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
BT17R makes the point perfectly. If his friend in dry conditions was faster on the clock with the aids then I would leave them in. You wont go any faster without them, you may feel like you are but you wont be.

Better tires for the surface you are on will help because TRAC and VSC only kick in when the tires loose traction. The more traction you have because your tires are better suited to the surface you are on the faster you can go before the aids kick in.

I don't the agrument is "should we do it"....rather "how to do it".
If people prefer to have control over the vehicle, they should be able to.
The system may do a better job in some instances but the system may overcompensate as well.
Completely up to the driver's preference....and many want it removed.
I don't have VSC or TRAC and mine drives just fine without it.
No reason it can't be a pushbutton system rather than fulltime IMHO.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

anything happen with this? anyone come up with a switch yet?

i want to keep VSC for normal driving, but would like to be able to turn it off when i want to.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:15 AM

2wd models have a button on the dash to disengage it. Now doesnt that make sense. I buddy treated me to a standing still smoke party, while I was in my 4x4 03 sr5 crippled by technology 4rnr. I in fact almost hit a telephone pole in the snow because of VSC when it locked and didnt allow me to hit the gas to pull out of a slide.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot believe that this thread is still lumbering along with no solution. After reading everything I could about the VSC, I decided that when traction is the slightest bit questionable --- wet roads, sandy roads, snow or ice, I will engage the 4WD. The mfg says it will not hurt and the 4WD in our late model trucks is actually like AWD. If something happens, they can fix it.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ManyMods
I cannot believe that this thread is still lumbering along with no solution. After reading everything I could about the VSC, I decided that when traction is the slightest bit questionable --- wet roads, sandy roads, snow or ice, I will engage the 4WD. The mfg says it will not hurt and the 4WD in our late model trucks is actually like AWD. If something happens, they can fix it.

*IF* you have it... like i do... DO NOT lock your center diff if your in 4wd on concrete... but you prolley already know that...

after a while with VSC now, i just come to live with it, after comming back from Naches pass I have no problem, i guess it all comes down to it, it depends on WHY you want to disable it...
Old 08-02-2004, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ducky
*IF* you have it... like i do... DO NOT lock your center diff if your in 4wd on concrete... but you prolley already know that...

after a while with VSC now, i just come to live with it, after comming back from Naches pass I have no problem, i guess it all comes down to it, it depends on WHY you want to disable it...
Yeah, I do know that. I think what it is, at least for me, it is a mechanical function that is not familiar to me in all my years of owning vehicles and it is a new way of driving that I have to get used to. When I owned my first 4WD vehicles it was taboo to have 4WD engaged on dry pavement, then came WARN hubs which made it better and then on-the-fly 4WD. This AWD technology is something new and I think for most of us control freaks is not to our liking. It is sort of like when they put ABS and linked braking on motorcycles --- I hated it until I got used to it.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:40 AM

sometimes you just want to spin tires around in the gravel like the Dukes of Hazzard. I HATE not being able to get a little sidways in the snow if i want.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
sometimes you just want to spin tires around in the gravel like the Dukes of Hazzard. I HATE not being able to get a little sidways in the snow if i want.

Yea... that I agree with lol...
Old 08-02-2004, 06:08 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hahah.. true!

this past winter, i saw this parking lot by a train station hadnt been plowed yet (we'd gotten like 8 inches or so).

i stopped, pulled a u-turn and drove in there (i was the first!) and tried to skid out a few times, to no avail. i mean, yea, it slid a bit, but i lost all power to the pedal and the fun stopped.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
This seems to be the concensus for disableing it so far.

"There is a separate switch...CENTER DIFF LOCK. I think when you off-road, you should lock the center diff most of the time anyway. Putting another switch will just be more confusing.

Guys, it is not that hard to understand how ATRAC works! You CAN turn off the "dethrottle" function by locking the center diff. This is EASILY done by pushing a button. "
don't do it. you'll snap that rear end quicker than anything. use only when u need it.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a lengthy YT thread I started many moons ago about A-Trac/VSC. After much investigative work, I still haven't found a good way to defeat the A-Trac system (not that I've tried much lately). I did find that the A-Trac/ABS system seems to have redundant electrical paths within is component circuitry, and therefore was never able to completely kill it. Disconnecting one relay seemed to forced the A-Trac/ABS system to use another (likely designed that way to prevent a complete ABS system failure). I found I could reduce the intensity of the ABS/A-Trac pulsation, but never totally eliminate it.

My comments regarding disabling A-Trac are on page 2, second to the last post (username "hillbilly") in the thread MTL_Runner referenced.
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Here's another good thread to read:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...s=&threadid=12
Old 08-02-2004, 08:36 AM

I found a temporary way for my 03. I'm not sure that it will work for yours also but it's worth a shot. In the engine compartment fuse box, look inside under the cover for which fuse it is, remove it, start the vehicle and let it run for about 30 sec., turn it off, replace the fuse and it should be disengaged for about 1 or 2 starts. I think after a few starts, it just resests itself. I know it's a pain to get under the hood everytime to dissengage it, but this way you don't cut into any wiring! Good luck.