Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Video- 4Runner flipping...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody notice that the BMW has both front tires off the ground at one point!

Nice driving by the BMW people, though I can't say the same for the 4runner. It is people like that that cause SUVs to be lower and "less tippy" and less capable.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

There's a good reason that all car ads have a disclaimer at the bottom that says; "Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt." That first video is a perfect example of why we need warning lables.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

ive dont similar to mine and it still drives fine... he just needs to roll it back over flush the fluids and he will be golden
Old 02-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
There's a good reason that all car ads have a disclaimer at the bottom that says; "Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt." That first video is a perfect example of why we need warning lables.
We already have warning labels all over cars and everything else but that doesn't stop people from being stupid but it does help get the manufacturers off the hook when somebody does do something ill advised.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I doubt it, the guy in the toy should have steering into the turn and gassed it. That would have gotten him out of the topple.
I have had my Runner with 5.5" of lift sideways on wet sand Proof and I kept it on all 4s. This guy is a dumbass... When in a drift, its better to stay in it and spin all the way around than let off and let the rear tires get traction :pat: That is the worst thing you could do in a slide... That ones for him...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
The BMW is just an extreme example of how to save a slide gone completely bad. I thought it was a goner for sure. I have driven with these rally types and all I can say I dont have the nuts to do what they do. I prefer my wheels on the ground at speed, thank you. Give me a track anyday.
Boy howdy. I've only driven TSD rallys where speeds are strictly controlled. But I once had a press day demo drive with Juha Kankkunen in the Toyota WRC car over one stage through a mountain forest. He was "only" going 80% he said, talking calmly the whole way, describing his technique. I was scared s******s, convinced that we were about to plunge off a cliff airborne over blind cresting turns, only the sky and clouds visible at times. He summed up his style as "being out of control to be in control". I think he meant having the car sideways in one direction before corner entry, then flipping it back the other way to power oversteer out. I'm just glad I didn't vomit in my helmet. Someone said I was white after climbing out of the car, but I felt mighty green.

Anyway, the BMW video shows why WRC pulled out of the U.S., never to return = liability.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:55 PM

The first video clip is the reason my insurance keeps going up. Darn no fault insurance here makes everyone pay for guys that screw up like that.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Warning Labels? We don't need no steenking warning labels!

We need brain cells!
Old 02-26-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Warning Labels? We don't need no steenking warning labels!

We need brain cells!
HEAR HEAR!!!

that 4runner driver should be taken out in a field and SHOT!! F_-_-_- IDIOT!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
HEAR HEAR!!!

that 4runner driver should be taken out in a field and SHOT!! F_-_-_- IDIOT!!!

The proper code for what you said is

TOBAS

Gadget
Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Maybe he rolled it cause when he went into that last slide it looks like the tire dug into the sand, I've done donuts in snow covered parking lots and never flipped
Old 02-27-2005, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sand weighs a WHOLE lot more than snow does - besides he got out of the gas which was dumb (causing the rear wheel to dig in) AND he didnt steer into the lean.....
Old 02-27-2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
sand weighs a WHOLE lot more than snow does - besides he got out of the gas which was dumb (causing the rear wheel to dig in) AND he didnt steer into the lean.....
I guess you never shoveled snow
Old 02-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I have had my Runner with 5.5" of lift sideways on wet sand Proof and I kept it on all 4s. This guy is a dumbass... When in a drift, its better to stay in it and spin all the way around than let off and let the rear tires get traction That is the worst thing you could do in a slide... That ones for him...
Austin,
Cool video (yours), but is there a really a big difference between what you were doing with your 4Runner and what the guy in the posted video was doing? I think the difference is that his luck ran out and he flipped his truck. Dumbass? Yes. Unlucky? Yes, also.

The same could have happened to you. It didn't, so that's good. But our 4Runners are still trucks, not WRC cars....

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 02-27-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 AM

he might have stood a chance if he wasn't doin like 35 mph when he went sideways. But i bet he won't do that again.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

that bmw driver might be from the UAE. they have some awsome rally drivers, i recognized the flag at the end of the clip but cant make out the name.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Austin,
Cool video (yours), but is there a really a big difference between what you were doing with your 4Runner and what the guy in the posted video was doing? I think the difference is that his luck ran out and he flipped his truck. Dumbass? Yes. Unlucky? Yes, also.

The same could have happened to you. It didn't, so that's good. But our 4Runners are still trucks, not WRC cars....

Andreas

Agree!
Old 02-27-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Why won't the BMW link play for me?
You might have pop-up blocker enabled. Temporarily disable it and it should work.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Andreas,
Its not that different, except for the fact that I have kept the shiny side up! haha. It was a lot of bad luck, but look at his wheels. He didn't even begin to correct!!?? You can feel when your truck is about to roll over, and he was starting to slide, but instead of backing off and turning the wheel to the left, he stayed in it and let off the gas (instinct, but the opposite of what you should be doing) which then made the left side tire dig in when all the weight of the truck was on it. Basicly, I think he just froze up and the situation could have been avoided. He also was going a lot faster than I was going. You don't need to go that fast when traction is low. Thanks for the compliment too!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EDGE
I guess you never shoveled snow
City folk....
I guess you never shoveled sand...
Water=1g/cubic centimeter
Sand=2.65 g/cubic centimeter

Quick Reply: Video- 4Runner flipping...