Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Used 97's

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used 97's

It's almost time for me to turn in my leased car. I'm in the market to add to the 4Runner stable.

I came across a couple of 97's today. An SR5 and a Limited. They both have 77K miles on them. The SR5 is grey pearl with oak interior and gold package (yuk). The Limited is greenish blue and has oak interior (leather). The SR5 is $15,900 and the Limited is $17,500. They both have the fugly wood trim (replace with carbon fiber ). The SR5 has a few scratches that were very - let me emphasize - VERY poorly touched up. I think they used a mop to put the paint on. The Limited is pretty clean.

This will be my daily driver - will get some slight mods initially. Eventually will become a wheeling vehicle (5 or 6 years??).

Are there any problems with 97's other than the rear diff seal? Are the front ends of the 97 springs or torsion bars?

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:38 PM

Info on 97's

Anyone know of a site where I can see about the options that were available for the 1997 model year 4Runners?
Old 11-08-2002, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not aware of any problems with the 97 model 4Runner. I can say I've been quite pleased with mine (although I would have preferred a '98).

Jalaber's site has details on all generations and their specs & options:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist.html
Old 11-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

The only problem that I have had with my 1997 4Runner is the axle seals.
Do either of them have the locking rear diff? That is the only option that I wish my 4Runner had.

The front suspension is coil spring not torsion bars.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:10 PM

Hey Cebby, I was just wondering if you have ever tried carsdirect.com when looking for vehicles? I was just checking their website out for a friend and they have a used car section; all you do is put in your zip and they will give you a list of specific model and year vehicles you are looking for in your area. For San Diego I got quite a few hits about 34 4Runners for sale within a 50 mile radius from me, I'm not sure about the PA area but it wouldn't hurt to check them out and it is free.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:51 AM

Carsdirect

Beowolf,
I'll have to try that one. I've always combed autobytel.com for deals. Same gig, put in zip and mile radius for the search and it comes back with what's available. You can pick model, but not year or trim level. Sounds like carsdirect is a better one.

HBoss,
Why do/did you want the 98 over the 97. Aren't they visually identical? Or was that the year the Runner grew the "chin"? I am primarily going for the updated powertrain. I figured within a year or so, I'll have custom bumpers on it anyway... Thanks for the link - I forgot all that info was on there.

SLC,
I'll need to see about the locker. The SR5 didn't have it and I forgot to check the Limited. Does the factory Toyota electric locker fit in the front diff too (assuming one can be found)?

Thanks for the help guys. Perfect timing for the S/C's to come down in price, too!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: Carsdirect

Originally posted by Cebby
HBoss,
Why do/did you want the 98 over the 97. Aren't they visually identical? Or was that the year the Runner grew the "chin"? I am primarily going for the updated powertrain. I figured within a year or so, I'll have custom bumpers on it anyway... Thanks for the link - I forgot all that info was on there.

Thanks for the help guys. Perfect timing for the S/C's to come down in price, too!!!
Sorry, I should have mentioned I had to replace my axle seals once so far as well.

My reasons for 98 over 97:

-climate controls become dials instead of levers
-steering wheel is 4 spoke instead of 2
-additional power outlet in the rear cargo area
-lighted vanity mirror

Just small subtle improvents that I would have liked is all, nothing major. It didn't grow the 'chin' until 99.

From SLC Punk: "Do either of them have the locking rear diff? That is the only option that I wish my 4Runner had."

Both do I believe. I have the locking rear diff on mine.

Al
Old 11-09-2002, 07:20 PM

Auto Climate Control/Wheel

What year was this option standard in the Limiteds. Or was it always just an option? I have Auto Climate in my 2000 Maxima I'm turning in - I'll miss it - Maybe I won't have too?

I sat in another 97 that day that was kinda beat. I could have sworn it had a 4 spoke wheel. Hey, I'm an old - the memory is the first thing to go!!
Old 11-09-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: Auto Climate Control/Wheel

Originally posted by Cebby
What year was this option standard in the Limiteds. Or was it always just an option? I have Auto Climate in my 2000 Maxima I'm turning in - I'll miss it - Maybe I won't have too?

I sat in another 97 that day that was kinda beat. I could have sworn it had a 4 spoke wheel. Hey, I'm an old - the memory is the first thing to go!!
Auto Climate I'm not sure of, 99 I think... Wish I had that too, and heated sideview mirrors.

4 spoke wheel definitely started in 98..I sure like it better.

Al
Old 11-09-2002, 09:13 PM

yea i'd agree with HBOSS, alot of little things were changed on the 98...i'd personaly say the best year....happy with my 96 tho