Old 12-05-2002, 07:09 AM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey AJatx,

I'm glad to have you on the board. You sound like you really know your stuff-
Old 12-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Banned

I have heard of Rod Millen Motorsport, i'm pretty sure this is who Gadget refered to. Rod Millen's products

Check out his Twin turbo Hill Climb Tacoma.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AJatx
2 small turbos are not necessarily better than 1 big turbo.
Sorry, I need to debunk the myth that two are better than one (unless you're talking about cute twin sisters). It's like the Fast and Furious movie where the guy wants two N20 bottles. Like two would make his ghetto green car any faster. It just increases the capacity to blow up his car.

If you use sequential, you may stage the turbos, but controlling the sequence and machining the manifolds would be a nightmare.

How much power do you want? I you want to add lots of cfms, you're going to get some lag, whether it be with twins or single.

Your lag is largely dependent on turbine wheel and housing sizes (mainly Area to Radius ratio or A/R). The smaller the A/R, the quicker your boost will spool and the less lag associated with spool. However, you'll sacrifice the large top end or overall cfm capacity with a smaller turbine.

Compressor side is mainly about efficiency. Once you exceed a certain load and cfm, your turbo no longer makes power, but heat.
Compressor maps can be seen on www.turbonetics.com to give you an idea. You'll see the x-axis with pressure ratio which is given in atmosphere (or bar). A pressure ratio of 2 gives 1 bar of boost (or 14.7psi). Pressure ratio is given in absolute so you usually subtract 1 atm to get boost.
The y-axis is the overall air flow through the compressor wheel.

J
Oh, ok. That's some interesting stuff. I heard that the reason Audi went with 2 smaller turbos in thier S4 instead of a single was to reduce lag. I guess they didn't care much about top end performance. Thanks for clearing that up. I learn something every day!

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-05-2002, 06:32 PM

I just want to check and make sure, have you thought of what type of power you are looking for? More torque or more horsepower? This all depends on the driving you do. If you are looking at hauling or towing anything, or any serious off-roading, turbo lag may cause some problems. Superchargers may not put out as much as some turbos in top end power, but either one sacrifices a little of one area for the other. The turbo lag won't hurt you too much for just normal driving, but think of your plans for the truck in the future, what you will use it for. Just keep this in mind. You probably already know most of this, but if not I hope this will help you make the right choice to fit your driving style. Good Luck