Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tube Bumper Design Begins...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be around 45lb before the aluminum filler...so whatever that adds. I'm tryin to keep it light because I have the 2.7...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:34 AM
ESQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to join the butt ends of the side tubes? Doing that would strengthen the sides immensely for only the weight of a couple inches of tube.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 AM

"Thanks man, that's what I'm goin for the deer and elk here love to have parties in the road."

HAH! no joke at all...i find it an unusual day if i don't have to slam on the brakes at least twice on my run to and from town!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 AM

Next you need to use solidworks to do FEA on your design. You may be able to remove/relocate some material to improve your designs functionality. Set your frame mounts as stationary points and then apply forces to different locations on the bumper to see where there are high stress concentrations.

Also, if you add weld to the joints in solidworks and set the material of each component to the correct material that you plan to use, solidworks will also give you the exact weight.

Looking good so far, keep us updated.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ESQ
Going to join the butt ends of the side tubes? Doing that would strengthen the sides immensely for only the weight of a couple inches of tube.
Yeah I actually plan on running that bottom one into the top one to crate a triangular shape

Originally Posted by 98srx6
Next you need to use solidworks to do FEA on your design. You may be able to remove/relocate some material to improve your designs functionality. Set your frame mounts as stationary points and then apply forces to different locations on the bumper to see where there are high stress concentrations.

Also, if you add weld to the joints in solidworks and set the material of each component to the correct material that you plan to use, solidworks will also give you the exact weight.

Looking good so far, keep us updated.
Yeah I was planning on using Cosmos to see where all the deflections would take place...I;m thinking of just mocking up the situation of me driving at different speeds and hitting a deer at different points and see what I get. I have a feeling the front is pretty solid, but we will see. I am going for lightness, so whatever Solidoworks enlightens me with I will probably change. I don't think I'll go as far as adding welds to the joints just because I'm not really planning on the welds adding that much weight in the end...it's like road bikers removing their shift indicators to get that extra half gram off their ride....

I got a couple more things to add tonight if I get em done I will post her up.

Thanks for all the comments guys!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Alright well my first attempt at rendering. This stuff is pretty tricky to get the materials to show how they should. The lighting has to be just perfect. I can tell this whole game will take a long time to get actually good at, but here is a mock up of the powde rcoat. I also put the skid on and bent those lower arms into the upper ones. Cheers!