Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Tundra Front Lift UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
the only possible way to increase strength is to CRYO the OEM axles.
Has anyone done this yet?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bamachem
connected. when connected, it will help to limit droop on an off-camber position. however, when going up a ledge (like i was) and you have both fronts on top w/ the breakover putting all the weight on the rear, they will BOTH extend to full droop (like mine did). at that point, the cage is taking all the stress of the springs pulling the axle stub against them and then you add the torque of the tires spinning on the rocks at the same rate (due to the locked front not distributing torque to the easiest to spin) and then add to that the fact that my uppers aren't trimmed and will rub at full droop, having the effect of riding the brake on the fronts to add even more torque.

in that particular situation, you begin to crack the cage. you will hear it faintly click as it begins to give up the ghost. it may not completely snap at that point, but it's on borrowed time (as my pass side was proven to be).

OME's aren't all that bad for moderate wheeling w/ an unlocked front, but when you lock the front and get excessive droop at the same time, then watch out...
I realize it (swaybar) wouldn't have made a difference on the obstacle you broke on but what are your feelings towards connected/disconnected now in general? Will the Factory Tacoma shocks be able to flex any further with the swaybar discoed? It seems like the discos would allow the flex to happen easier but it doesn't seem that the extra flex it allows is needed or wanted for a locked rig.

So, is the ultimate set-up then discoed swaybar with limiting straps or proper bumpstops to limit down travel?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 914runner
Has anyone done this yet?
Yes. We have in Arizona.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinh
I realize it (swaybar) wouldn't have made a difference on the obstacle you broke on but what are your feelings towards connected/disconnected now in general? Will the Factory Tacoma shocks be able to flex any further with the swaybar discoed? It seems like the discos would allow the flex to happen easier but it doesn't seem that the extra flex it allows is needed or wanted for a locked rig.

So, is the ultimate set-up then discoed swaybar with limiting straps or proper bumpstops to limit down travel?
The light bulb has not come on with the "one" tire has all the traction reality.

The only tire that has traction is the one compressed/stuffed, the one hanging there does not have weight on it, so if it is 1' in the air or on the ground it is completely irrelevant.

The real benefit of the Straight Axle is not any of these reasons toted on these BBS's but simply put it keep the weight on both tires at all times. They also tend to be larger, so then stronger.

That it, really. Sway bar on or off, it does not matter one bit. 7" of droop or 10" it does not matter. the weight is on the stuffed wheel.

Oh my god, I posted, now i Have to deal with all the people that pick fights and argue.

Uhhhhhh, Yeah disconnect the sway bar. Great Idea.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
The light bulb has not come on with the "one" tire has all the traction reality.

The only tire that has traction is the one compressed/stuffed, the one hanging there does not have weight on it, so if it is 1' in the air or on the ground it is completely irrelevant.

The real benefit of the Straight Axle is not any of these reasons toted on these BBS's but simply put it keep the weight on both tires at all times. They also tend to be larger, so then stronger.

That it, really. Sway bar on or off, it does not matter one bit. 7" of droop or 10" it does not matter. the weight is on the stuffed wheel.

Oh my god, I posted, now i Have to deal with all the people that pick fights and argue.

Uhhhhhh, Yeah disconnect the sway bar. Great Idea.
No picking of fights here, I understand the forces of a straight axle and that the stuffed tire forces the opposite side down resulting in traction. Maybe I didn't articulate my questions well enough, what I want to know is if the factory swaybar with factory endlinks allows maximum (safe) travel (compression and extension) when connected with the new set-up you and Andy are recommending. Or, is it better to disconnect the swaybar and use limit straps to prevent too much extension?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

No picking of fights here, I understand the forces of a straight axle and that the stuffed tire forces the opposite side down resulting in traction. Maybe I didn't articulate my questions well enough, what I want to know is if the factory swaybar with factory endlinks allows maximum (safe) travel (compression and extension) when connected with the new set-up you and Andy are recommending. Or, is it better to disconnect the swaybar and use limit straps to prevent too much extension?
Personally I would leave the bar connected and use the blue Tokico shocks or a TRD equivalent for your vehicle.

That is what I would do if I still had IFS. In light of all this I am going to make a Very Heavy Duty extended sway bar end link for my lift kits. It will not disconnect, but will compensate for the lift and provide extra strength for off road use.

I know it's not out yet, but more on this is in the FJ Cruiser Ad Topic Number 5, which should hit next month in all the mags. After that is topic 6 the rear linked axle.

They do an excellent job of describing all of this in Topic #5. Read it when it comes out.

I know you are not starting anything, but I stop posting in general because all the negative posts of a few folks. Who were obviously intentionally being cruel.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 05-16-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=sschaefer3]Personally I would leave the bar connected and use the blue Tokico shocks or a TRD equivalent for your vehicle.

That is what I would do if I still had IFS. In light of all this I am going to make a Very Heavy Duty extended sway bar end link for my lift kits. It will not disconnect, but will compensate for the lift and provide extra strength for off road use.

QUOTE]

That is what I wanted to here and I think the extended end link is a great idea! There was a big difference in the handling characteristics on my 1997 4runner after it was lifted with the stock end links compared to once I put Waskilly's longer Discos on there, it was much nicer to drive with the longer links.

Now if I could just get the Tundra coil dimensions...

I too enjoy the actual tech in the FJ ads
I don't want to take this too off topic but I wonder what some sort of cross-linked shocks (similar to x-reas) only in the front IFS would do with the FJ A-Trac. Maybe it would help with traction, maybe not, when you only have a few inches of useful suspension travel i guess every bit needs to count.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=justinh]
Personally I would leave the bar connected and use the blue Tokico shocks or a TRD equivalent for your vehicle.

QUOTE]

That is what I wanted to here and I think the extended end link is a great idea! There was a big difference in the handling characteristics on my 1997 4runner after it was lifted with the stock end links compared to once I put Waskilly's longer Discos on there, it was much nicer to drive with the longer links.

Now if I could just get the Tundra coil dimensions...

I too enjoy the actual tech in the FJ ads
I don't want to take this too off topic but I wonder what some sort of cross-linked shocks (similar to x-reas) only in the front IFS would do with the FJ A-Trac. Maybe it would help with traction, maybe not, when you only have a few inches of useful suspension travel i guess every bit needs to count.
Well we wheeled the FJ in a fairly stock form all weekend and I can tell you that travel is not really the issue, just simple ground clearance. I think after a moderate lift, these things can really perform. The A-trac system works like a charm and is alot more useful than any other traction control system I've ever seen or used. Hats off to Toyota in making aheck of an out of the box wheeler.

Now back to your regularly sechdualed OT talk.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Stump1883]

Well we wheeled the FJ in a fairly stock form all weekend and I can tell you that travel is not really the issue, just simple ground clearance. I think after a moderate lift, these things can really perform. The A-trac system works like a charm and is alot more useful than any other traction control system I've ever seen or used. Hats off to Toyota in making aheck of an out of the box wheeler.

Now back to your regularly sechdualed OT talk.
Yeah, I hear they are great. There are several people that are wheeling them with 285's and no lift, obviously Toyota isn't going to do that with their trucks but it can be done!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

My only opinion on the front swaybar is that with it disconnected the truck feels more stable on off camber trails. Other than that, connected or not seems to make no difference to me.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member

Yes. We have in Arizona.
Whos doing it for you guys? Bobby Long?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Whos doing it for you guys? Bobby Long?
It part of a new product, so I can't say anyting until it rolls out. Sorry.

I just wanted to indicate that it is possible.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

It part of a new product, so I can't say anyting until it rolls out. Sorry.

I just wanted to indicate that it is possible.
Alrighty, Ill wait then.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Alrighty, Ill wait then.

Thanks
We have to test the stuff.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
My only opinion on the front swaybar is that with it disconnected the truck feels more stable on off camber trails. Other than that, connected or not seems to make no difference to me.
There is definitely a huge difference there, I agree 100%.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
Originally Posted by RTdawgs
There is definitely a huge difference there, I agree 100%.
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know what it is about you rednecks but you guys make me think and come up with all these amazine ideas.

I got a sway bar that can stay connected and feel just like you guys are saying. By disconnecting the bar your compressing the tire further, looseing clearnace but gaining stability. I have a bar that will give you the stability and stay connected.

The Desert is abuzz and I'm rounding up parts.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know what it is about you rednecks but you guys make me think and come up with all these amazine ideas.

See you need to come this way more often for inspiration.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

I got a sway bar that can stay connected and feel just like you guys are saying. By disconnecting the bar your compressing the tire further, looseing clearnace but gaining stability. I have a bar that will give you the stability and stay connected.

Yep, come on out here to redneckville more often, hell we're the beta testers anyway.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

True, true, true.

If there is another Tellico event, we have already made the decision to put either the 4runner or the Buggy on a car hauler and fly in myself, Cheese and Brent. I need my west coast spotters to really shine.

But it's gonna have to be Tellico or it's not worth it. Lower 2 is the first up. No dents.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

True, true, true.

If there is another Tellico event, we have already made the decision to put either the 4runner or the Buggy on a car hauler and fly in myself, Cheese and Brent. I need my west coast spotters to really shine.

But it's gonna have to be Tellico or it's not worth it. Lower 2 is the first up. No dents.

I see you have pics of Lower 2-when do you go watch that?

Next year SE4RJ4-May 2007-Sonoran Steel and his Posse invade Tellico!

Forget the buggy though, bring the 4Runner!

Quick Reply: TRD Tundra Front Lift UPDATE