Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Bilstein's for a non-TRD Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Bilstein's for a non-TRD Tacoma?

My wife and I recently purchased an '02 non-TRD Tacoma PreRunner D-Cab. I'm kinda new to the Tacoma and this website. Hope you can help with a question or two.
The Tacoma is mostly her's to drive, and she gives me a bad time about the mods and upgrades that I do to my Mustang Cobra. So I figured that the TRD Bilsteins would be a nice upgrade for her Tacoma. The rears look like a straight swap, or are there differences that would prevent their use?
The stock front's are a shock/spring combo, almost like a McPherson strut. Is the TRD the same basic setup? Can the TRD Bilsteins be used on this non-TRD truck, or are other mods needed? If it can, how do you deal with the spring when doing the replacement?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Vinnie T; 11-11-2002 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Vinnie:

The TRD-equipped Tacoma Bilsteins are different from the Bilsteins you would buy from, say, shox.com or Performance Products. I've ridden in a TRD Tacoma and its a jarring ride, to say the least.

I put in Bilsteins in my 4runner and the difference compared to the TRD Tacoma is night and day. Granted, they are two different vehicles, but I can assure you that the ride is much better w/ the aftermarket Bils.

I read on TTORA that alot of the guys there swap out their TRD Bils for the aftermarket Bils.

Bob
Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

First, welcome.

Next, yes, the rears are a direct swap as long as the length is the same.

The front will require that you remove the entire assembly, compress the spring and disassemble it to replace the shock. It's not a big deal, but if you have not done it before, you should have some help and/or read every write up you can find. You will also need a front end alignment after the replacement.

For what it's worth, these 4Runner guys LOVE their Bilsteins, but many of us in the Tacoma clubs have found them to be too stiff for our tastes, especially in the rear. A favorite combination is the OME shocks up front and the Rancho RS 9000's in the rear...

Just a thought. Let me know if I can help you any further.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:26 AM

Thank you for the welcome and advice.

Having just gone thru hell with a spring replacement on my car, I'm not looking to forward to tackling another set on the front of the truck. Considering that the truck is mostly Bonnie's to drive, keeping the OEM setup, or going to a more compliant aftermarket shock in the rear like the Bilstein "HD" or Rancho, might be best. I can already hear the complaints if the ride is too stiff for her. However, the Bilsteins did wonders for the ride and handling on my Cobra.

Bob......Bilstein usually designates their "HD" shock as a good replacement for OEM, and "Sport" for a firmer ride. Do you happen to know if the TRD suspension uses the "HD" or "Sport" model shock? In looking at many website who deal in Bilstein, I'm getting the same model numbers as being identified as identical as the TRD units, and also as a standard replacement for OEM. They don't make things easy.

WATRD......I'm guessing the extra weight in the rear of the 4Runner makes the difference in the ride. I've had the same experience as you with other trucks we've owned. I usually look for a lower pressure shock for the rears, and it sounds like the Rancho might just be that.

Maybe the hood protector, dash cover, K/N filter and Line-x liner that have already been added will keep her happy for a while Thanks again guys!
Old 11-11-2002, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vinnie T
Thank you for the welcome and advice.

WATRD......I'm guessing the extra weight in the rear of the 4Runner makes the difference in the ride. I've had the same experience as you with other trucks we've owned. I usually look for a lower pressure shock for the rears, and it sounds like the Rancho might just be that.
That would be my guess. Most of us Tacoma types avoid the Bil's like the plague.

The nice thing about the Rancho RS9000 series is that they have a knob on them for adjustment. Too stiff? Turn them down. Too soft? Turn then up The RS9x series are five way adjustable and the RS99x series are nine way adjustable.

RS9000’s********************Extended__Collapsed__M ount Code

Stock Height to 1" Lift
Pass. Side -- RS9180**********21.125"__13.500"__EB2/EB2
Driver's Side -- RS9180*******21.125"__13.500"__EB2/EB2

1" Lift to 2.5" Lift
Pass. Side -- RS9144**********21.875"__14.000"__EB2/EB2
Driver's Side -- RS9180*******21.125"__13.500"__EB2/EB2

3" Lift to 4" Lift
Pass. Side -- RS9202**********23.625"__15.125"__EB2/EB2
Driver's Side -- RS9144*******21.875"__14.000"__EB2/EB2

Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2002, 11:29 AM

I have a TRD Tacoma and trust me you DO NOT want these shocks, the ride is very harsh and bumpy. On the double cab, the TRD package does not come with Bilsteins, it comes with Tokicos, only reg. and ext. cab TRD's come with TRD/Bilsteins which by the way are not the same as aftermaket Bilstein HD's. I have been monitoring posts about shocks for uite some time now, from what I can gather, 4Runner guys like the aftermarket Bils, and Taco guys are split between aftermarket Bils and Ranchos. Some say Bils are too stiff for the rear, others say they are perfect, but the truth is, they all know more than I do about this so I take their advice. I will be replacing my shocks soon, I'm not sure yet what I will do, WATRD's combo sounds like it would work great (OME Front/Rancho Rear), or maybe Bils front/Rancho rear. However do not get the shocks that come with the TRD package, you WILL regret it.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:24 PM

trdtacoma01.....thank you for the frank and honest opinion on the TRD Bilstein's. I'm guessing the TRD Bilstein's are higher pressure or have stronger valving (Sport?) than the HD aftermarket variety. Sounds like I will be avoiding this combo. I like WATRD's setup, and especially like shocks with adjustability. It's all or nothing in getting it right with non-adjustable shocks, which is an expensive gamble. Maybe I can get a ride in a TRD D-cab and check out the Tokico set up.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!