Thermo Tec Insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FERNCO

I finally remembered the name of the MFG ... FERNCO
:pat:

http://www.fernco.com/home.html

I don't know if any of there products would work for you but what I would do is to call them and see if their CS people can help you solve the dilemma. If they can't help you mybe thaey will know who can. I did not tour the entire site. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man! I'm going to check now!

Chris
Old 02-03-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here's what me and a buddy of mine figured out today for my system after 1 hour at Home Depot. Here's my setup:

1) Stock Airbox with 6" Deckplate Mod

2) Supra MAF - This I slid in not using the provided gasket, because it wouldn't fit. So, I used sensor safe silicone and slid it all the the way in to the stock airbox hole. It fit perfectly. While the silicone was drying, I used a large rubber band to hold it in place, because the Supra MAF does not line up to the holes on the airbox, and they are on the opposite side of what it needs to be on anyways. So, I'm going to use two zipties to secure it in place. The only thing I wished I had done is instead of sliding the MAF all the way in to the air box, I would have slid it in just far enough until it was flush with the inside of the box. Right now, the MAF is protruding about a 1/4" inside the airbox. Probably not a huge deal, but I wished I would have noticed it when I did it.

3) Then to attach the MAF to the 3" PVC pipe, I used a 3" to 3" rubber coupling I bought from Lowes, but they can be found at Hmoe Depot too. It fit perfectly!

4) Then I cut two 3.5" long pieces of the PVC. Then on 1 end of each 3.5" PVC I am going to use a sander from my buddy's work to sand the outer edge of the PVC to match the angle on the inside of the 45 degree PVC piece that goes on next.

5) Then after the two 3.5" pieces are fitted into the MAF & 45 degree elbow, then I will have the open end of the tube facing the throttle body. So, I am using a 3" to 2" rubber coupler, which fits perfectly over the 3" PVC tubing, and fits perfectly into the inside of the 1999-2001 rubber intake tube from the factory.

This is a perfect fit in every way. I got so lucky with all this. The 3" PVC tubing is just cut long enough to connect the elbow to the MAF and at the other end to the 3-2" reducer.

The last things I'm going to do is shave the inside of the 3-2" reducer, because there is a little notch in there that doesn't need to be there. In addition, I'm going to shave the interior of the 2" end to make it match the interior diameter of the throttle body. Also at the other end, on the first 3" PVC tubing end that butts up against the MAF sensor, I'm going to angle the interior diameter, because it's about a 1/16" on all sides too small. This way it will match the 3 1/8" interior diameter of the Supra MAF.

Then, once all this is done I'm wrapping the entire thing in Thermo-Tec Thermo-Flex, and then the Air Intake Tube Wrap. This way, I'm in no danger of melting the PVC, and the intake air will remain as cool as it was before it entered my 4Runner. Or at least that's the theory anyway.

That's it, and in as much detail as I could think of. I'm going to be shaving everything Wed. morning, and shoudl be up and running soon. I can't wait to get it running again.

Chris