Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Theft protection: Steering or Brake lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my anti-theft is as follows....

no one wants my truck i mean it looks like a piece... theyd have to look underneath the hood to realize the piece of art.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Good info guys. I've begun to worry about this as the number of mods that I do increases, making my 4-runner look like an exception to most of the others on the road. The Brake pedal lock sounds good as far as the strength of that arm, and I'm really liking the magnetic reed idea too!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

That Ravelco setup looks pretty awesome, but what if you lose the "key." A locksmith is probably not going to be able to help you out in that case...
Old 06-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody ever heard of the auxilary siren(s) in the vents set-up?

When your alarm is tripped, they go off in addition to the alarm under the hood.

They have pizo (sp?) sirens that can allegedly make you throw up they are so loud. What I hear anyway.

Just a thought.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
They have pizo (sp?) sirens that can allegedly make you throw up they are so loud. What I hear anyway.
Piezo - but anyway, that sounds sweet! It's still just a siren, and so just a deterrent, but not a preventative. I really like the magnet idea and may actually have to do this one!

PP has this one device in the catalog - it's a key of sorts and receptor that goes between the battery and pos(?) cable. When you turn the key and pull it out, no connection can be made and since you take the key with you, the theif can't start the vehicle. There was a small current allowance so that all the memory funtions and ECU would be retained. Anyone know anything about this? Seems like the theif (if he realized what the problem was) could rig some sort of connection, but I don't really know. This sounds like a good device too.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:24 AM

If you use a hidden switch or an alarm on a Tacoma, you might want to add a hood lock. Here is a cable lock I used.

http://www.bajataco.com/zr2steve/hoodlock1.html

ZR2Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

I thought of that one as well, but you'd have to hide it well, otherwise its just a matter of jumping across the lock with a bit of wire.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by OneTrickToy
The revelco is just like any other "visible" kill switch. Since the device has to be in view, so are all the wires. Match the right wires and you have bypassed it. A thief will be able to start any car period, if he takes the time. The trick is to make it so hard that it is a waste of his time. Hidden switches are the best since the thief will have to spend half an hour trying to find it. And chances are, if the thief can't find it in 5 minutes, he'll move on.
i used to install crappy ignition kill style alarms for at a few dealerships for a guy when i was in high school. i honestly felt i was making a theives job easier because the harness i installed tapped right into the ignition start wire and the hot ignition wire. so essentially i found the two wires needed to "hot wire" the car. i would somtimes accidentally touch the wires together when installing my harness and turn the car over.

Last edited by its2slo; 06-10-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:32 AM

I use a gear lock v. similar to the Mul-T-Lock transmission locking system [ http://www.mul-t-lock.com/ ] . Basically I lock the 4wd lever in neutral and therefore nothing moves unless I want it to. Like other guys have said: if they really want it - they'll find a way to take it, and all we really need to do is put off the joy riders and opportunistic thieves.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an VW GTI I had before my truck, I did some creative wiring. I took the fog light circuit and wired them into the head light circuit, I then wired the ECU power to a 3 position Fog light switch. I made the down=off, middle=on, up=off. You have to run the wiring so that it is either hidden or looks like it doesn't even have to due with the car run circuit.
This actually worked twice. Once at work in the parking lot (late night working), and once at a friends house (late night bar hopping). They never got the car to move an inch. Down side is I had to replace my ingition switch and have some re-wiring done (from them pulling wires) both times. Had to pay for it myself because who needs full coverage right, not!! Lessoned learned on that one.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

PirateFins:
That's a very clever piece of work! I'm impressed! Who would've thought to incorporate the fog/headlight switches into the ignition?

Originally posted by Bundubasher
I use a gear lock v. similar to the Mul-T-Lock transmission locking system
Anyone else think of the movie, "5th Element" while reading this?

"Leeloo Dallas Mul-T-Pass!"
Old 06-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

dont know bout the Ravelco dealie, i have a hard time trusting a company thats been in buisness for over 27 years with such outstanding results yet looks like there webpage was made by a 4 year old, comic sans font? doesnt come across as very professional to me, and an aol email? /shrug just comes across as scam to me but i dont know... just my 2cp
Old 06-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude

Anyone else think of the movie, "5th Element" while reading this?

"Leeloo Dallas Mul-T-Pass!"
Ugh! There's 90 minutes I wished I could have back.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a hard time trusting a company thats been in buisness for over 27 years with such outstanding results yet looks like there webpage was made by a 4 year old, comic sans font?
Yeah, I know what you're saying. However, I know alot of successful businesses that really don't believe in the 'net nor understand it but still do great business w/o a nice website. Jeez, look at Amsoil. I'm a dealer and I'm about disgusted with their site's navigation. My web team from my former company could clean that sucker up and make it look and navigate much better---but alas, those folks are still making big bucks w/o a good website.

One of life's mysteries.

Bob