Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gadget

That makes sense and thankyou for taking the time for the explanation. I'm still a newb to all the lube lingo..haha. Bob's forum is very informative but a little freaky at the same time. Some of those guys have a serious and almost SICKENING oil/grease/lube fetish..LOL..

later,

Justin
Old 07-08-2003, 05:23 AM

I've heard the same thing. But someone also told me that when synthetics first came out it was an issue, but has been since corrected. I switched to full syn Mobile in the engine and Redline everywhere else. My car has been running awesome and it "seems" much more quiet. I'm sold.

Originally posted by MNBOY
I was wondering about synthetics myself. One mechanic I talked to says to never run full synthetic oils in any motor that is not new, always use synthetic blends for this. Another I asked said it didn't matter, that the full synthetics may make gaskets weep because they clean very well while lubricating, but that was the only problem. Neither could back up their statements with reasons, and I got the impression they were just repeating what they had heard elsewhere. I know the positive points to running synthetics, but does anyone know for sure about any negatives? Too many years as a scientist makes me always look for proof in everything. Anyone have any bad first-hand stories to share?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 89-4run
I've heard the same thing. But someone also told me that when synthetics first came out it was an issue, but has been since corrected. I switched to full syn Mobile in the engine and Redline everywhere else. My car has been running awesome and it "seems" much more quiet. I'm sold.
Funny how just about everyone has heard something about synthetics, good or bad, but few people have real world experience to back up the rumors. Now that more people are using synthetics there will hopefully be more first hand info on it's performance. And no offense to you Gadget, but I was asking for broader experience on synthetics because I wont be using Amsoil, I sell my own brand and will use it. You are partly correct on certification, it really has very little to do with the performance of the product, it's just a minimum standard.
Sounds like from everyone's experience so far there are no real downsides to using synthetics beyond cost.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:56 AM

Re: Gadget

Originally posted by kaneman23
That makes sense and thankyou for taking the time for the explanation. I'm still a newb to all the lube lingo..haha. Bob's forum is very informative but a little freaky at the same time. Some of those guys have a serious and almost SICKENING oil/grease/lube fetish..LOL..

later,

Justin
If you really want to learn all about synthetic oils, filters, how they are tested and what all the terms mean, download and read through The Motor Oil Bible. It really does not matter what oil you end up using, it is really a good read and then you will know more about motor oil then 99.9% of the professional mechanics out there.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by MNBOY
Funny how just about everyone has heard something about synthetics, good or bad, but few people have real world experience to back up the rumors. Now that more people are using synthetics there will hopefully be more first hand info on it's performance. And no offense to you Gadget, but I was asking for broader experience on synthetics because I wont be using Amsoil, I sell my own brand and will use it. You are partly correct on certification, it really has very little to do with the performance of the product, it's just a minimum standard.
Sounds like from everyone's experience so far there are no real downsides to using synthetics beyond cost.
I would like to hear about the oil you are using. You can let me know here or email me.

Thanks!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com