Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: You are currently using...
Stock sway bars
60.00%
Aftermarket sway bars
24.17%
No sway bars
15.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Sway Bar Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
with front and rear disconnected..

Anyone know how to get the RTI score out of that?? I think you need the wheel base too but I just can not remember how to do it..
I think there's a link somewhere in Pirate4x4's tech section or info section or somewhere, I found it by mistake when I was clicking on all there engineering type info, they've really got alot of good stuff there. too bad the people there have to be so harsh.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

OI have been running "disconnected" up front for a couple of days now to see how it feels, and I hate it.

One thing I have noticed is that the tires now rub when I hit speed bumps or dips on the road. (and I am turning slightly) This never happened when they were connected.

Weird, I know.

Dan
Old 06-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
OI have been running "disconnected" up front for a couple of days now to see how it feels, and I hate it.

One thing I have noticed is that the tires now rub when I hit speed bumps or dips on the road. (and I am turning slightly) This never happened when they were connected.

Weird, I know.

Dan
Is your front suspension stock? that's all typical if you ask me. that's why the swaybar is there, to prevent that and add control. you should build a set of quick discos, I'm too lazy to do it right now but if I wanted more front end flex, well...
Old 09-18-2003, 04:37 AM

I'm going to be running my addco's again front and rear on my 3rd gen 4runner. I've been riding around with the front addco off, and the ride is definitely more plush, but not to my liking in the turns, because I'm an aggressive fast driver. My 1998 currently has the addco installed in the rear, and I've firgured out that the rear swaybar controls most of the sway. So, here's what I'm going to be running:

1) Front: Addco and Lars Discos
2) Rear: Addco and Lee's Discos

This is the only way I'd run the rear addco. It's still up in the air as to whether these Lee discos will work to my liking, which would allow for full flex in the rear, and a beautiful zero body roll 4runner on the road. I should have the new (1st to try it on a 3rd gen) discos for the rear by tomorrow. I can't wait!

Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 04:58 AM

stock with lars disco's
Old 09-18-2003, 05:56 AM

Most my driving is around town and highway. The last thing I would want to do is lose even more stability with an already top heavy 4runner. So no way I would go w/o a swaybar. But, for the times when I would rather be w/o, I did the following:

Basically just cut sway bar end link (right word?) in half, welded on some pipe to either end, drilled a hole and put a clevis pin through it, then packed the whole assembly w/ grease. So far no squeaking or rattling. Here is what it looks like disconnected:

I am going to do the same to the front swaybar sometime in the near future.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 AM

interesting.....I wonder what happens when you flex? Hit anything? I think you might hit the swaybar if you do the same up front
Old 09-18-2003, 08:34 AM

I run stock bars and will soon have Lee's discos front and rear (Thanks Lee!). The thing I liked about Lee's design is that he has craftily implemented hiem joints on the end of the sway bar which lets the bar side up and down the 'new' endlink when disconnected. Once you pull the pin your done, no need to worry about the bar getting bound up or catching on anything. If you haven't looked at them you really should check them out.

Oh, and Lee didn't pay me to say any of that....yet.

In preparation for my discos I've removed the front end links and have been driving like this for a week now. On the 4R's I don't think I would recommend removing the bar. The ride is nice, but the lack of control could be really spooky in an emergency situation. The effects are amplified in my application due to the worn shocks and I couldn't imagine this thing on the freeway.

If I felt the need for a better handling rig I think I would only spend the money on the REAR sway bar for two reasons: 1) Like Chris said above, the rear is responsible for most of the sway that is generated. Everything is a compromise, our flexy long travel rear suspension won't get invited to track days at the local raceway nor will the neighboring Porsche driver tail you down to ask you what rear shock/swaybar/coil combo you're running. 2) Because most people out there can't drive a nuetral handling well balanced car the auto industry has blessed us with automobiles that are set-up to understeer (front tires push when driven hard). To cure the understeer there are a few things one can do:
[list=1][*]Stiffer rear springs[*]Wider rear tires[*]Thicker rear anti-roll bar (swaybar)[/list=1]

#1, Since there aren't a lot of spring choices we can scratch that one. #2, I haven't met anyone that is willing to run say 33x10.50s up front with 33x12.50s out back... #3, Obvious answer.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-18-2003, 10:01 AM

Well, getting prepared to recieve my Lee's swaybar discos for the rear of my 1997, I just reinstalled the front addco, and took out the rear addco out of 1998, and set it aside for when they arrive.

I can tell anyone here that if you want a more stable (literally sports car) handling, go with front and rear addco's. They rock for the road, but off-road they suck! That's why I'm running the Lar's discos up front, and soon to be running Lee's discos in the rear for excellent on-road handling and excellent off-road flex!

Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
interesting.....I wonder what happens when you flex? Hit anything? I think you might hit the swaybar if you do the same up front
Hadn't even thought about it until you mention it. So first thing I did today after work was twist up my 4runner on a nearby dirt mound w/ the sway bars disconnected. Sure enough, the lower swaybar hit the upper (disconnected) part right where the swaybar ball joint is (or whatever type of joint that is). What a bummer. Even more depressing is that I rechecked wheel travel on the same obstacle after reconnecting the swaybar and it was the same as with the swaybar disconnected :cry:.

Oh well, it was fun making the discos. Plus, I think my shocks are the limiting factor for my downward travel right now, so I'll have to retry it when I get new shocks (whenever that may be).

Anyway. Thanks for the comment. I think I'll definitely look into the Lars type dissconnect for the front. Seems like they give more travel.

Last edited by szf2; 09-18-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:51 PM

Hmm went wheeling yesterday in my beast (haha right) and I guess I'll be going without sway bars from now on. I dunno what I hit it on, but here's the damage.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:15 PM

I would have thought you could have easily heard that hit! Damn! You'll like it better without them anyway!

Chris
Old 09-21-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by jalaber
Addcos, ES, Billies
I saw ur website about your Bils. shocks, but didnt see any kind of write up..I've just ordered one and will be getting one soon. I have never replaced my shocks so any inputs or tips would be helpful =) thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Stock sway bar in front with hunt4steve discos, and no sway bar in the back. To keep the rear end stable, I have the Rancho 9000x shocks set to the stiffest selection. when off-road, the Discos are taken off, and the Ranchos are set to the softest selection.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:20 PM

I am actually considering adding an aftermarket one to the rear of my 93 pickupand upgrading the front (and putting disco's on for bolth) for when I am loaded with camping gear in the bed and my kayak's on top, crusing up through the mountain passes around here (North Cascades Highway)
Old 11-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 2001Millrunner
I saw ur website about your Bils. shocks, but didnt see any kind of write up..I've just ordered one and will be getting one soon. I have never replaced my shocks so any inputs or tips would be helpful =) thanks in advance.
\

There is no full detailed write up on the shocks only tips. Reason being I had problems removing the rears so I just had the whole thing done at the local mechanics shop.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 AM

NO BARS NEEDED. I have a 3rd gen with 305/70s 6 inch of total lift and no sway bars, drives like a big body Bently!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hyperlite, do you have a website, or a spot of pictures of your rig? I'm interested in how the 305/70R16 tires fit....
Old 11-09-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by SteveO
I'm interested in how the 305/70R16 tires fit....
Uh not to well.......lots of metal removal and enlarging the wells with a 10 ton Ram Jack (probible not neccisary with BL and coil spacers)
No website as of now (time devoted to repairs) Here is a pic before the 2" body lift and fenders are now back on. It was taken on Kodiak Rock in Uwharrie. I'll try to find current pics
Attached Thumbnails Sway Bar Poll-jon-kodiak.jpg  
Old 11-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

More pictures would be great. It appears that you need to limit your stuff so that the tires will not hit the fender wells. As you mentioned, a body lift would definitely help. I'm currently running 295/75R16 Nitto Grapplers a 1" body lift, and its really close. I will soon be going to a 2" body lift, and plan on removing more body to try and accomodate 35" meats.

Another question pertaining to the "no sway bar" issue. Do you have Torque steer when driving down the road?

I just got back from Utah, and noticed that when I have the gas on, the vehicle wants to pull to the right. When I release the gas, the vehicle wants to pull to the left, and then will re-center. This is very noticable at highway speeds, such as 75mph. During this time, I had the rear sway bar removed (outings in Utah), and didn't want to hassle with putting it back on. Have you had any issues with torque steer and no sway bar?

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Poll