Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

supercharge 3.0? not standard noob question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2 basic problems of the 3.0 is that it is a very small displacement engine (1) and that it is placed in a heavy vehicle (2). Haven't heard of anyone having a successful chipping experience. You can: remove any unnecesary weight, advance the timing, put in a higher flow intake and exhaust, and lastly, learn to live with the limitations of a horrible power to weight ratio.

I'm going to probably go with 5.29's and 33's. I don't do very much highway driving anymore in the 4Runner so now I can have more acceleration and enjoy the vehicle more.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtm130
the cant chip it... its a reflash of the existing ecu, it changes the curves to more agressive ones. if nothing else it will get better fuel economy, why so quick to say its junk? have you ever done it? ive done it on many sports cars and its incredible. engine management should be the first building block to any tuned car
I have done it. The only thing it did was remove the rev limiter, didn't gain me anything on a N/A 1.6 SOHC.

Now you are comparing boosted sports cars to a 4Runner?

Go ahead man, let us know how it turns out...
Old 06-30-2004, 04:57 PM

i wouldn't suggest a 7m swap because those things ARE REALLY NOTORIOUS for blowing headgaskets :-D
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM

had a 7m supra with no head problems. but my friends of the same year did. lol i was looking at getting it and got mine instead so he bought the other one and had the gasket go. i get lucky like that.

96 runner
whats 1.6 sohc? im talking 3.0 sohc
and im not comparing boosted cars to this, im just explaining past experiences.
every little bit counts so ill "waste my money" on it and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:21 PM

Did you test drive the runner before you got it?

The stockers are turds. They are not built for power or mileage. They are built to last a million miles and after the headgasket issues are addressed, some do.

Trucks, for the most part, are not fast.

If you need a rig that powers 4 wheels, goes fast and gets good mileage, the letters you want are STi, not SC.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

96 runner
whats 1.6 sohc? im talking 3.0 sohc
and im not comparing boosted cars to this, im just explaining past experiences.
every little bit counts so ill "waste my money" on it and let you know how it goes.
any ideas for a chip? i know jet makes one but i havent heard of anyone using it on here.
There is a reason no one is using it on here.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 PM

ok well my last car was a wrx with 285 at the wheels.
before that i had a tt z with 450

there is no rule that says i cant have a 4runner with 200+ , just enough so that i can do a quarter in 15, im not trying to smoke a supra but id like to hang with a celica, and i think its completely possible, i guess ill just have to prove all of you wrong with my 3.soon to be not so slow.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

I would love to see it. I love fast cars, and I give you props on the WRX and TT Z. Both sweet cars. I can understand your need for speed after coming from those cars.

I think most of us are just trying to be sensible. By the time you build that 3VZ up, you are going to be well into swap territory. But, by all means go for it. After all, it has been done before, just not that often.

PS: I would love to see pics of the WRX and the Z. Even though Supra's are my favorite, those two cars are not far behind.

Late!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 PM

You need to pick whether you want to off road or race, and if its both you should have 2 separate vehicles!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
A chip isn't going to do anything for you - even if you went intake/headers/exhaust

They may not be able to chip that ECU anyway. Waste of money.

Are you sure about this? I mean, do you know someone who as done it and it didn't work? The reason I ask is I had myself a little exhaust leak at the 90 degree junction. My truck was downright fast. The byproducts of the leak increase the mixture due to less exaust at the O2 sensor and of course decrease back preassure. As soon as I fixed it, I noticed a big drop in power. free-er flowing exhaust and a chip should mimmick that situation.

Frank
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I would love to see it. I love fast cars, and I give you props on the WRX and TT Z. Both sweet cars. I can understand your need for speed after coming from those cars.

I think most of us are just trying to be sensible. By the time you build that 3VZ up, you are going to be well into swap territory. But, by all means go for it. After all, it has been done before, just not that often.

PS: I would love to see pics of the WRX and the Z. Even though Supra's are my favorite, those two cars are not far behind.

Late!
A guy who goes by Nunsa on 4X4wire just built up a 3.0 and is very happy with it. You guys might search on his name over there, he has posted quite a bit of info. He got it done for WAY less than a 3.4 swap.

Seriously guys, if you haven't tried the mod or have first hand account of it, don't be so quick to say it won't work. I've read many a post from people who have added headers etc... and all say the truck simply goes faster now.

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 12:04 AM

thanks guys, ill look up the nunsa

ill work on some pics for ya, i need to find out where i can host first.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elripster
A guy who goes by Nunsa on 4X4wire just built up a 3.0 and is very happy with it. You guys might search on his name over there, he has posted quite a bit of info. He got it done for WAY less than a 3.4 swap.

Seriously guys, if you haven't tried the mod or have first hand account of it, don't be so quick to say it won't work. I've read many a post from people who have added headers etc... and all say the truck simply goes faster now.

Frank
Frank -

Yes, I have first hand experience with "chips" - but not on the 3VZ, I admit. So if Nunsa has upgraded the 3VZ to a speed demon in a cheap fashion, why haven't others? That is my only point.

Do you want stats? I mean, you just gave me your opinion based on an exhaust leak at a 90 degree junction, and how it would possibly "mimick" the same conditions as a chip

So, if its stats you want, it is stats you will get. On a D16Y8 (1.6 SOHC VTEC) with a DPR stage 5 head and a Greddy turbo, a JET ECU upgrade did absolutely nothing regarding a significant gain in HP. The car ran 14.9's all day long without and with the chip.

On a D16Z6 (SOHC VTEC) with all bolt on mods including a cam, a GUDE ECU upgrade did absolutely nothing. It ran 15.1's all day long without and with the ECU upgrade.

Yes, I know we are talking about different motors. But, ECU upgrades do not have a good track record in my book (no pun intended).

Now someone go out there are prove me wrong with the 3VZ, please.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:15 AM

im sorry to hear about your civic. i had a stock integra gsr that did 14.8's. if you wanted to make some real power on that, youd need to change out the head with a b16 or even b18c top end. then a thicker metal headgasket to lower the compression and then you could run about 8lbs of boost and be in the 13's

the problem with what you did was you got a jet reflash for a non turbo car and turboed it, so the two mods were probly fighting each other, on a civic turboed you need to go with a fully adjustable unit like the hondata2b (b meaning boost)

if you chip a n/a and leave it n/a you have some gains, around 15hp, not much but something and it also runs safer and more efficiently. if you chip a factory turbo car... watch out the gains are rediculous.

ill post some results when im done, most stats will be via butt dyno though lol
Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

im sorry to hear about your civic. i had a stock integra gsr that did 14.8's. if you wanted to make some real power on that, youd need to change out the head with a b16 or even b18c top end. then a thicker metal headgasket to lower the compression and then you could run about 8lbs of boost and be in the 13's
A B18 head on a D16 block? I don't think that is possible. Now a full B18C or B18B swap - I totally agree. But, we were into modding the SOHC's because no one would.

the problem with what you did was you got a jet reflash for a non turbo car and turboed it, so the two mods were probly fighting each other, on a civic turboed you need to go with a fully adjustable unit like the hondata2b (b meaning boost)
Well, it was my friend's car. And he specified to jet all his mods. He dropped the $$, sent a core, and it did nothing. I totally agree with the Hondata suggestion.

if you chip a factory turbo car... watch out the gains are rediculous.
Totally agree. Take a Jetta 1.8T for example. Insane. But, that is primarily due to EBC limitations placed on VW thanks to importing restrictions.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 AM

I'm not sure that no one has built up 3.0's. They have, just not a lot of people compared to the 2.4 which is all the more lacking in power/torque. You hear of it less but at least I still hear of it. The demographic of owner is often different from the 2.4.. more 3.0's are daily drivers by non-wheeling engine building types.

Nunsa ran his original 3.0 to 297,000 miles when it went.... Thread

I like this because it provides a good first hand account, something that is often lacking IMO in threads regarding this motor.

As far as chips are concerned, I have not tried one but what I have experienced suggests it would help, maybe even a lot. At least it would fit the model. Honestly, you really need to try the chip on the motor with the mods to really know if it will work.

Frank

Last edited by elripster; 07-01-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:29 AM

im gonna follow nunsa lead... try some new things on the way as well.

as for the civic, my friend had a dx hatch that we put a h22 bottom end off a prelude and a b18c top end off a type r. in the the light hatch he was in 12 when he tuned that. since then hes got a t3/4 turbo custom on it, its sick and it looks like a beat civic. no ugly fart can on the back and def. no wing or decals! his problem now is traction and he needs a roll cage to go to tracks so he hasnt gotten to take it out yet
Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

You sure it wasn't a K20 bottom end and a B18C top end? I don't think I have ever heard of a H22/B18 swap. I have only heard of the Frankenstein swap (K20 and B18).

Regardless, that is fast. I love the sleeper look. No stickers, no nonsense. Just kick butt power.

My friend worked for these guys for a while. I think you will like what they do, check it out.

(They were in the 10's the last race I went to)
Old 07-01-2004, 10:59 AM

im gonna follow nunsa lead... try some new things on the way as well.
Keep us posted! I'm at 287,000 on my 3.0 and let's face it, a rebuild is in my future. It's running like a top for now but nothing lasts forever. 3.4 swaps sound great but run in the 4K range. Plus that's just a LOT of work. (many little details, etc....) If can get my 3.0 up to spec for half that I'm all over it.

Plus the more first hand accounts the better. Folklore bugs me. I mean ever heard the old "the 2.4 is more of a truck motor than that 3.0...."? It's utter garbage. The 3.0 is the truck motor, the 2.4 more suited for a car. (over-square Vs under-square dimensions)

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 12:19 PM

i have a new thought, the one guy did a turbo but if you know anything about turbos, he didnt follow the rules, hes pulling from one side of the engine and not the other, in order for one turbo to work properly you would have to place the turbo where the manfolds connect. im thinking twin turbo is possible though, and fairly cheap. i could model the system after the 300zx, the only tt v6 i can think of, the supra is inline which is why they get so much power out of a single turbo conversion.

if i tap into both sides run into an ic behind the bashgaurd, it would work, i just wonder what the boost capabilities are of the 3.0

anyone have any idea what kind of compresion ratio we are runnin at?
and injector size would be nice too. i could get used parts from my z buddies, the only thing that will be a challenge is the cusom piping.

Quick Reply: supercharge 3.0? not standard noob question