Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suggestions for things to change while engine is out (5VZ)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggestions for things to change while engine is out (5VZ)

So--Just pulled the engine out of my 99 4runner to replace a broken flexplate.

While I have it out, is there anything else I need to replace? I bought the car with the broken flexplate so I haven't had it long enough to know whether there are any other leaks. I talked to the previous owner and he said the only other leak he knew of was the water pump starting to leak a little bit, so I was going to go ahead and replace the timing belt/waterpump/whatever pullies/tensioners that wear out on these things.

I was more wondering about parts on the rear of the engine such as rear main seal? I'm almost afraid to mess with it since it's apparently working and I don't remember any signs of any oil leaking past it (I will check again this weekend) but I hate to have to change it later if I can change it now. Guess there's a little bit of risk either way I go with it.

Anything else that needs to be changed while I have it out?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 245 Likes on 183 Posts
A good detail/degrease, paint any parts you need to re/loom clean up re-route anything that you couldn't do the way you want to with the engine in etc etc, sit and stare at the empty bay and I'm sure something will come to mind.

Uh my bad I'm talking engine bay while it's out, im sure someone more mechanically inclined will chime in on the engine.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 05-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
rear main seal, front main seal, timing belt kit with water pump, cam seals, valve cover gaskets.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
rear main seal, front main seal, timing belt kit with water pump, cam seals, valve cover gaskets.
Thanks--That is what I was thinking.

Still scares the hell out of me to touch that rear main seal, lol
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
totally a bro
Staff

I'd worry more about that front main seal. Its a littler harder to get out without damaging the crank.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Can you replace the rear without pulling that cover off or does it have to come off? I'm more worried about that portion not sealing correctly with whatever sealant you use on it
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Originally Posted by ncsugrad2006
Can you replace the rear without pulling that cover off or does it have to come off? I'm more worried about that portion not sealing correctly with whatever sealant you use on it
With a flat head screw driver you can carefully poke into the lip and pry out the seal. Just use caution to not scratch the crank.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
With a flat head screw driver you can carefully poke into the lip and pry out the seal. Just use caution to not scratch the crank.
Gotcha--Yeah I'll probably go with that then. Looking back at some pictures I took when I pulled the engine out it looks like that entire area is as dry as can be.

Is there any sort of seal remover tool to make it easier?

i.e. this pick axe looking thing? lol

Last edited by ncsugrad2006; 05-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Scribededed! lol... Just in case I do a 3.4 swap some day lol.

Best wishes, OP!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Makin my list of parts.. got a feeling this is going to cost more than I had anticipated..

Hopefully better than paying later and having to do labor twice, though.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace any vacuum hoses and coolant hoses that are hard to get to. Maybe send the injectors out for cleaning if high mileage.

Probably the best price you'll find on the timing belt kit....this guy sells 'em like candy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-TIMIN...4a37e8&vxp=mtr
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM

Looks like he has a little feedback.. geez

I will remember that--I'm still working on a parts list now for everything I need & looking for best prices. For a complete kit it definitely looks like he has a great price on OEM parts.

I ALMOST bought a flexplate that I thought was OEM, then realized it wasn't so I'm glad I didn't buy it.. def not worth skimping on that (the center of mine broke off and I had to pull the motor for it.

Will do on the hoses--in all honesty I was VERY surprised at how soft (in a good way) all of the hoses were that I messed with. I'm not sure if Toyota does anything different to cause them to be that way, but they seemed very new considering the age of the vehicle.

Last edited by ncsugrad2006; 05-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt you will beat his price for the Toyota OEM parts in that kit. Thus, why he has sold 180 units of that very kit.

Last edited by rworegon; 05-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Don't doubt that at all--but also not sure I am going to replace every single part right now. But, I might. Depends when I get my next bonus
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM

OMGOSH, I have to stop reading SWAP THREADS! hahaha.... It's like CRACK, .... proverbial crack I can't afford right now!! hahaha
Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 PM

This one isn't a swap thread, so calm down
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having just gone through a flex plate nightmare i would suggest a few things.

new flex plate bolts, and washers. one is different than the rest, its an "alignment bolt"

shims if needed for the flex plate

new starter, it is believed the starter was the cause of my repeted broken flex plates.

might as well do the timing belt, t-stat, waterpump and all belts as mentioned before.

rear seal.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
having just gone through a flex plate nightmare i would suggest a few things.

new flex plate bolts, and washers. one is different than the rest, its an "alignment bolt"

shims if needed for the flex plate

new starter, it is believed the starter was the cause of my repeted broken flex plates.

might as well do the timing belt, t-stat, waterpump and all belts as mentioned before.

rear seal.
Looking through the flexplate bolts I couldn't tell any difference between any of them-is it an obvious difference or something? I didn't look all that hard though so it may be obvious once I look closer.

I will order new shims

The starter is an old one--I asked the previous owner if they had replaced it recently and they said they hadn't changed it since they bought the car 45K miles ago. The electrical plug is nearly broken off, so I'll probably just replace the starter while I'm in there. I on some GM vehicles you have to shim the starter to get the right clearance on the flywheel.. sounds like something like that on these vehicles would save a few flexplates lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking through the flexplate bolts I couldn't tell any difference between any of them-is it an obvious difference or something? I didn't look all that hard though so it may be obvious once I look closer.

I will order new shims

The starter is an old one--I asked the previous owner if they had replaced it recently and they said they hadn't changed it since they bought the car 45K miles ago. The electrical plug is nearly broken off, so I'll probably just replace the starter while I'm in there. I on some GM vehicles you have to shim the starter to get the right clearance on the flywheel.. sounds like something like that on these vehicles would save a few flexplates lol
im pretty sure that one is a little fatter than the rest, used as an alignment bolt. i think all the bolts cost me under $20 from the yota dealership.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM

This one isn't a swap thread, so calm down
Oh, I know, but it's DRIVING ME to desire one! hahaha... I know, yet again, that this is NOT anyone's problem but my own/therein my OWN realm of 'self control', HAHAHA.

Realistically, I've scribededed to many of this and many other type swaps/upgrades/refresh threads for the sake of "future hopes", lol. I have MANY 1UZ/3RZ/OM617/5VZE and otherwise threads scribed... And it doesn't matter if they're swaps or not... ya know? Cuz if I DO eventually do one... I'll need to address the same things mentioned here(especially if I wanna do it right ) But you're right, I got that one wrong, ....even after reading it, hahaha.

PS> NCSU, eh? GO WOLFPACK! lol. (an ex went there)

Quick Reply: Suggestions for things to change while engine is out (5VZ)