Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stereo options: aux input or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpStick
Dude, I swapped a Scion takeoff stereo - can't remember the part number, but it's that Pioneer-build Scion unit. Full satellite capability, 100 watts, and I got it for $30 on Craig's. That made the sexy Scosche iPod adapter more worthwhile, so I've got everything but the tape deck.

Best yet, it's stock looking so it's not theft bait, and it plugs right in. You have to cut a little plastic, but what Taco/4Runner mod doesn't require that? I did a story about the install on off-road.com.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ler-52701.html

STICK
Awesome! So did you cut all the way around the console (like in the off-road article) or trim around the eject & power button (like the 4runner.org writeup)?

This looks like a great option for me; sound improvement while maintaining the stock appearance. It sounds like you still run into the same problem with the AUX input since it still requires the scosche adapter (which I assume is similar to the PIE and US Spec. adapters mentioned already).

Do you have any pictures of your setup? It looks like there's plenty of the T1807 headunits on ebay for cheap.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
Awesome! So did you cut all the way around the console (like in the off-road article) or trim around the eject & power button (like the 4runner.org writeup)?

This looks like a great option for me; sound improvement while maintaining the stock appearance. It sounds like you still run into the same problem with the AUX input since it still requires the scosche adapter (which I assume is similar to the PIE and US Spec. adapters mentioned already).

Do you have any pictures of your setup? It looks like there's plenty of the T1807 headunits on ebay for cheap.

His setup is what's pictured in the offroad.com write up. He wrote it.
If you read the whole thing you'd see that only the left and right side needed trimming. Not the top-bottom.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM

I looked at a few Scion HU's on craigslist this weekend. From talking to the sellers, the statement in the off-road article rang true: "They fall out of Scions all over the place because the econobox kids want to bang bigger tracks than the OEM unit can manage"
Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
jrm

Smile I bought a T1807 a couple

of weeks ago and began installing it yesterday. The off road article, instructions hold true. I kinda hacked up enlarging the console openning b/c on the first cut i used a dremel cutting wheel and NO template. I recommend using a template for sure and if you dont have a steady dremel hand try using a dremel sanding barrel. It lets you take off little bits at a time.

Heres a thread on combining the power and diversity antennas into a single input....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...stereo-193751/

Last edited by jrm; 12-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM

I have the AVH-P4200DVD, and it's pretty dang nice. No complaints. I put my ipod in the center console (top compartment), and control it from the deck. iPod videos look great too. DVD's are really crisp. Outputs are fairly standard, but the 8-band EQ is nice. Still need to get a back-up camera installed and fill up an SD card with music that won't go on my ipod. It's a very versatile head unit, I recommend it.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jrm
of weeks ago and began installing it yesterday. The off road article, instructions hold true. I kinda hacked up enlarging the console openning b/c on the first cut i used a dremel cutting wheel and NO template. I recommend using a template for sure and if you dont have a steady dremel hand try using a dremel sanding barrel. It lets you take off little bits at a time.
It looks like cutting out the buttons would be a less-invasive procedure, but trimming the sides would probably look a little more sleek. I guess it boils down to a personal preference

Here's a cool thread that talks about the differences between the stock scion headunits: (T1806, T1807, T1808, etc.)

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...-question.html

A lot of supra guys are doing the same thing as us. There are a few supra forums that have been very informative as well.

Depending on what you're looking for, the ipod compatibility cable is a lot cheaper than the AUX input that plugs into the cd changer. That's something to consider when choosing a model that will work for you. The T1807 looks the nicest though IMO.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Glad I could help.

The little Dremel drum sanding bit is probably my favorite in the kit.

I took a lot of time getting the console face milled right, but you can always junkyard another one.

STICK
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I would recommend any kind of aftermarket head unit just because of sound quality. If your happy with your current sound quality, just add an aux input to your cd changer. Doesn't look too hard.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-...-your-cars-st/
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
jrm

yeah

Glad I could help.

The little Dremel drum sanding bit is probably my favorite in the kit.

I took a lot of time getting the console face milled right, but you can always junkyard another one.

STICK
Its going to work out in the long run and the price is right. Im just waiting on a different aux cable for the ipod hook up and antenna parts. Cant wait to hear the improvement.

Hey have you tried resetting the T1807 EQ settings using the SSP button? I wonder how it works with the OE speakers.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173824

someone wanna try this and post up the results. Or if folks can wait i can do and post up but not till this weekend.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM

A lot of people who have done the swap have mentioned that the AUX isn't as loud as they'd like. The cab space and differences in speakers (especially if you have the door tweeters) makes a difference in the sound so I'm curious what would be best for a 4runner. Maybe changing the setting will clear up both issues.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 AM
jrm

the scion.org thread

A lot of people who have done the swap have mentioned that the AUX isn't as loud as they'd like. The cab space and differences in speakers (especially if you have the door tweeters) makes a difference in the sound so I'm curious what would be best for a 4runner. Maybe changing the setting will clear up both issues.

i linked too states that HUs EQs settings are adjustable to fit the interior dimensions of the various vehicles this HU was available in. The EQs default setting is for the 2 dr compact TC and can be changed to fit the interiors of the larger Xa and largest Xb models. Resetting the EQ to the Xa increases the bass and treble and resetting it to the Xb increases the bass and midrange. Heres a link to pics of the Xb cave interior..Looks pretty representable of the 4runners interior.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...w=1280&bih=803

Last edited by jrm; 12-14-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM

jrm, I assume your scion HU has the ipod input. Have you seen any connectors that plug into the ipod port that have a mini jack connection instead of an ipod connection? Unless that port is specific for ipods, that would be a simple cheap alternative than buying the CD changer output (PIE, US spec., etc.) if you're just looking to plug in a regular mp3 player or other device.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Here's what I'm talking about, $10 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...fAudioQ5fVideo

I can't find one with a mini-jack input instead of an ipod input
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
jrm

i have T 1807

Here's what I'm talking about, $10 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...fAudioQ5fVideo

I can't find one with a mini-jack input instead of an ipod input
which isnt ipod capable so i have to use the CD changer port to use a ipod. I already have an GROM audio adapter that i used with the OE HU so im just buying a different compatible cable and reusing everything else.

I know theres a list on either scion.org or yota or 4-runner that lists what scion HUs have the ipod connectivity and those that, like mine require you to use the CD changer port.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Oh, so you're just transferring your GROM adapter over to the scion unit and getting an ipod cable that goes out from your GROM. I'm trying to save the expense of a GROM (or any other adapter) by using the ipod output (or a mini-jack adapter if I can find one). It's ultimately accomplishing the same thing from what I understand.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Jiminy freakin' toxicrap, the SSP fix is excellrific.

Hey Cookie, that SSP adjustment was worth its weight in gold. I was always chasing the settings in the dirt bus to get the somewhat tinny Scion stereo to sound right. The iPod's adjustability helped, but it wasn't "right" until now. The xB setting works just right in the big 4Runner, likely somewhat due to their similar interior shapes. Now to get some decent door speakers in the back and it'll be yeehaw all over the place.

I'm drinking egg nog right now. If you like 'nog, try the Southern Comfort version. Even without booze it's great.

The adapter y'all saw on eBay was nice, if you don't mind the eBay. I splurged for the Scosche controller because it plugged right in, had its own processor so all the track info shows up in the T1807 screen, and you can control it from the stereo with the iPod hidden in the glove box. That, and it has a mini-jack built in too. It might have had RCAs too, but I can't remember.

STICK a fork in me

Last edited by SharpStick; 12-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 AM
jrm

Thats great to hear

Jiminy freakin' toxicrap, the SSP fix is excellrific.

Hey Cookie, that SSP adjustment was worth its weight in gold. I was always chasing the settings in the dirt bus to get the somewhat tinny Scion stereo to sound right. The iPod's adjustability helped, but it wasn't "right" until now. The xB setting works just right in the big 4Runner, likely somewhat due to their similar interior shapes. Now to get some decent door speakers in the back and it'll be yeehaw all over the place.

I'm drinking egg nog right now. If you like 'nog, try the Southern Comfort version. Even without booze it's great.

The adapter y'all saw on eBay was nice, if you don't mind the eBay. I splurged for the Scosche controller because it plugged right in, had its own processor so all the track info shows up in the T1807 screen, and you can control it from the stereo with the iPod hidden in the glove box. That, and it has a mini-jack built in too. It might have had RCAs too, but I can't remember.

STICK a fork in me
Im waiting on some parts b4 i take the final install steps this weekend. Im curious if the GROM adapter combined with the T1807 means that i can control the ipod from the T 1807. Looking forward to the improvement in sound.

Oh and thanks for the Nog recommendation. peace out
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
jrm

Im waiting on some parts b4 i take the final install steps this weekend. Looking forward to the improvement in sound. Looks like the scion GROM audio adapter for scions is on sale. i think thats about how much i paid for mine last year or so.

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...e_adapter.html

Oh and thanks for the Nog recommendation. peace out
Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM

I put my headunit in today, it was pretty simple aside from a the issues already mentioned.

Here's how it turned out:

I opted NOT to trim the buttons for now. In order for it to fit, you still have to cut, but nothing visible externally. It mostly involves the backside of the panel; you need an extra 1/2 inch for the panel to snap into place. To get this, I took a dremel and trimmed down some of the protruding plastic on the backside. It took a couple of tries, but it finally snapped down flush.

I'm going to give it a few days, I might end up trimming it anyways.

Also, when I bought the unit, it had the Ipod plug in it, hacked off:

I'm wondering if I could make my ipod plug with this instead of ordering the one from ebay above?

Last edited by okie81; 12-16-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Oh, and Xb setting all the way!

Quick Reply: Stereo options: aux input or aftermarket?