Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spare tire check

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Spare tire check

Since I'm going on a long trip in a few days I figured that I would check the spare tire. I've heard horror stories of the cable freezing up from others and since I had not touched it in 5 years I was a little worried. It came down as easy as it was new but the tire was down to 20 PSI. So I pump it up, lubed the chain and put it back up.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never checked the pressure of my spare but every once in a while when i'm under the truck i'll give it a swift kick. If my foot bounces back its good enough for me. If the tire looks or feels like jello when I kick it, i'd start to worry and add some air. I haven't needed to yet. I lower the tire and lube the crank 2 times a year when I rotate the tires to make sure it dosen't rust to the point of being unuseable. The road salt used here in winter will rust that thing solid if I don't give it some attention every once in a while.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I guess I will have to do that too! I hope that I never have to use it, but just in case...

I am not too familiar, but how do you get this tire down. I think you crank it down, right?

:fireman:
Old 08-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER

I am not too familiar, but how do you get this tire down. I think you crank it down, right?

:fireman:
You should have a long rod, a short rod and a handle that all fit together stored under the rear seat. The long rod has a hook on the end that fits through a hole in or above the rear bumper and into a slotted thingamagigger right above the spare. Then you just crank it counterclockwise to lower it.

The rods serve double duty as the crank system for the bottle jack also. The hook goes into the hole on the jack. Don't wait untill you have a flat during a hailstorm in the middle of the night to try to figure this system out. Practice and know what to do when the time comes.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Its a good idea to check the air pressure in your spare regularly or at least carrying a pump to inflate it when you need it. Last time I had a flat, the spare wasn't a whole lot better and I didn't have a pump (had one pump and two vehicles and I'm not very religious about checking the pressure in the spare). Now I have pumps for both.

Its also a good idea to make sure you're familiar with jacking points, etc. as was pointed out. I got the flat mentioned above on the freeway one night and had to dig out the manual because it had been so long since I had changed a tire myself I couldn't remember where to put the jack to change the front tire. On top of that, I had left my reading glasses at work and could just barely read the blasted book. While I was messing around, a State Patrol trooper showed up and we used his big jack. The light from the patrol car headlights made things easier too. I managed to get to the nearest gas station and fill the spare up without ruining it.

Good idea to have a light too so you can find what you're looking for under the car in the dark. I carry a pair of coveralls too. Its just about impossible to avoid getting dirty changing a tire and who wants to ruin good clothes or show up at something important all dirty after changing a tire.

Of course, you could just carry a cell phone and AAA membership (at least when near civilization) if you want someone else to do it.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:19 PM

spare

It might also be good to include the spare in your tire rotation schedule. Especially if your spare wheel is the same as the others.

Just a thought.

Warren
Old 08-14-2002, 03:59 AM

Does the 4Runner have a bottle Jack on it? I don't remember seeing one, am I missing something? Or is it hidden? :fireman:
Old 08-14-2002, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Because a spare can sometimes be in bad shape when you need it, I also carry a can or two of Fix A Flat. It's not the best solution, but it'll get you on your way. As far as light goes, I carry a corded halogen light and a small lithium cell flashlight (Brinkman Legend LX, similar to low end Surefires. It's VERY bright ). Oh, and I have a cellphone and AAA.

BTOWN4RUNNER,

On my Runner, the jack is underneath the right, rear seat. I almost bought a new jack because I didn't know it was hidden there.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:29 AM

:: Pondering removing the Spare for a funcional Dual Exhaust:::
"Drools" Ahhh....Dual Exhauuuuuuust....
Old 08-14-2002, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Nerfheader, if you do remove the spare make sure you still carry it somewhere on your vehicle. It would be a bitch to have a flat with no spare.:cry:
Old 08-14-2002, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Thats Nerfherder not Nefrheader, sorry:pat:
Old 08-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Btown your jack is under the back seat on the driver side along with the rod to lower the spare. If you that unfamiliar you might want to lower your spare to just to see if you can. Guarantee it would be funner in your driveway than the side of the freeway
Old 08-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Get a roof rack and keep it up there