Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sometimes Revos and locking diff don't matter (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol...

don't tell your wife that it's my fault that you're about to drop ~$900 on new tires...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too bad you werent closer filthy or I'd take those Revos off your hands

<---- Still trying to decide between MT/R's or Revos
Old 03-15-2005, 06:11 PM

how the hell did ya get all the way to the edge. If you would have hugged the wall its a 2wd adventure.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AznSky
too bad you werent closer filthy or I'd take those Revos off your hands

<---- Still trying to decide between MT/R's or Revos
so new that I haven't needed to rotate yet Road trip j/k
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
I wuvs my mud rovers.

The best part is the price : $122 for a 285

Less then $500 for the entire set....

If you compare price/value to grip, I beleive these kill the MT/R

The MT/R may be marginaly better off road, but then again, my tires are $450 dollars cheaper then yours ! 450 will buy lots of other toys for the runner.

Im not knocking the MT/R, I think its a good tire, however I don't beleive its $450 bucks better.

Last edited by Stegall984R; 03-15-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 PM

Duelers are not mud tires.

MT/R's are not mud tires.

I have never seen a better aggressive rock radial that can be DD'd than an MT/R.

I will not consider any other DD radial tire than the MT/R. Performance versus cost leaves no equals.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Airing down helps almost always, for me at least. Case in point..Last week I got stock in some nasty snow pulling out my buddy's Subie; I was off camber one of my rear tires lifted and my ARB locker was/is still dead so I wasn't going anywhere. Each of us get out and aired down a tire to about 10psi. Got back in, threw it into L and rolled right out.

Moral of the story,...even with crappy BFG A/T's, you have a chance at getting un-stuck by airing down.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
My thoughts matter not.

Last edited by Stegall984R; 03-16-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stegall984R
Hey bud, if you wanna spend your extra cash on more epensive tires that grip .034 % better for the one time each month you go trail riding, go ahead.

Im more then happy with my 500 dollar daily driver tires. Why would I spend extra money for a not more aggressive tire ?
Umm..Woah.....

Do you know how much the man wheels?! Let him buy his tires!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I will not consider any other DD radial tire than the MT/R. Performance versus cost leaves no equals.
Hey bud, if you wanna spend your extra cash on more epensive tires that grip .034 % better for the one time each month you go trail riding, go ahead.

Im more then happy with my 500 dollar daily driver tires. Why would I spend extra money for a not more aggressive tire ?
Easy there...Adrian has an opinion on tires like you do, and he posted that opinion like you did.

EDIT: Issue addressed by Mods.

Last edited by Bighead; 03-16-2005 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 AM

I have the MT/R's and I love them. Have friends in VT with a really steep road and I would go up in 2wd (spinning). Not too bad on the road either....then again I am running a smaller size than you guys. I will say that Four Wheeler Mag (or maybe Petersens) had a "MUD TIRE" shoot out a couple years ago in which they tested the MT/R. Don't remember all the tires tested but they did beat out the BFG Muds (Old style) and the Dunlops I think. Ended up in third place....first was Boggers, then SSR, then MT/R, then the old TSLs. Check out www.tirerack.com for prices....seem to be good.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
how the hell did ya get all the way to the edge. If you would have hugged the wall its a 2wd adventure.
Tough to see in the picture but the road is way off camber. I tried to hug the wall but even the slightest input on the steering wheel jumped the rear end toward disaster. Then, in an effort to get out, I made things worse.

Can you tell I'm an off-road beginner ?? (although I did have a 76 Landcruiser back in the 80's)

Still . . . learning the hard way is still learning.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
they are decent in mud - much better than any AT - good in sand, snow, water, rocks, etc. the only thing i've ever seen anyone say bad about them is when someone buys them to use as a MT. they're NOT a MT. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction / Reinforced, NOT Mud Terrain as in the Bridgestone MT's.

Bridgestone Dueller M/T doesn't stand for Mud Terrain either, it's Max Traction.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Banned

I wuvs my mud rovers.

The best part is the price : $122 for a 285

Less then $500 for the entire set....

If you compare price/value to grip, I beleive these kill the MT/R

The MT/R may be marginaly better off road, but then again, my tires are $450 dollars cheaper then yours ! 450 will buy lots of other toys for the runner.

Im not knocking the MT/R, I think its a good tire, however I don't beleive its $450 bucks better.
Dunlop Mud Rovers: $122 X 4 = $488 + mount, balance, and tax

Goodyear MT/R's: $183 X 4 = $732 + mount, balance, and tax

Difference: $732 - $488 = $244 + tax = LESS THAN $260 difference w/ tax

NOT a $450 difference as you suggested.

Now, how many miles are you going to get on yours on the highway before the tread is worthless? I have 32k miles on mine and still have over half the tread depth left. I could get 50k out of them if I wanted, and then sell the set as trail spares for $40/each easily, leaving the difference in price down to $100, IF AND ONLY IF you can get 50k miles out of yours - which I highly doubt. I'm actually going to be swappign them out for some new ones in the next month or so. I like to keep newer tread on there instead of just running them down to slicks. I'm selling them (w/ about 35k miles) for $300. I already have two people waiting on them when I take them off.

$732 - $300 = $432 for 35k miles of use. If you don't get 35k out of yours, then my Goodyears were actually CHEAPER than your Dunlops... Think about that for a while...

Dunlops are cheap for a reason. Many of those reasons are why I won't have them. My 4Runner is my DD that I drive 500 miles per WEEK. My 4Runner is the vehicle that I put my wife and 18-month-old son in for weekend trips. I won't have a cheap tire on there for interstate travel. I want peace of mind more than I want a Ben Franklin in my pocket - but that's just me...

Duelers are not mud tires.

MT/R's are not mud tires.

I have never seen a better aggressive rock radial that can be DD'd than an MT/R.

I couldn't have said it better myself...

We're not asking you to. We didn't bash your Dunlops. They're good for the money. However, Flygt and I and a bunch of others have chose to go a step above the Dunlops and get the best money can buy for our needs. That tire happens to be on my 4Runner now. I'm glad you saved $260 on your tires when compared to Goodyears. Come back in a couple of years and tell me how many street miles you get out of them and then we'll have a good "value" comparison...

Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4
Bridgestone Dueller M/T doesn't stand for Mud Terrain either, it's Max Traction.
Really? Well, I guess it really doesn't matter since they've been discontinued. They're no longer listed on bridgestone's site...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-16-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

Tire Wars XXXIV
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 AM

Lance, Andy, thanks.

The name calling is unnecessary, this is a tire discussion.

The pure rock performance that I have gotten out of MT/R's as well as sidewall resistance makes them the only tire for me. I have more than 40k on my fronts and they ought to get another 10k. This is in abusive wheeling on rocks and DD time. Snow, ice, wet, etc. are all good. Mud leaves me sad even with enough power to spin them.

Please try to keep content relevant and constructive.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Lance, Andy, thanks.

The name calling is unnecessary, this is a tire discussion.

The pure rock performance that I have gotten out of MT/R's as well as sidewall resistance makes them the only tire for me. I have more than 40k on my fronts and they ought to get another 10k. This is in abusive wheeling on rocks and DD time. Snow, ice, wet, etc. are all good. Mud leaves me sad even with enough power to spin them.

Please try to keep content relevant and constructive.
FWIW this is a useful tire thred, now atleast. The feedback on various tires on similarly equipped vehicles is how you get good info. This is good info
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Tire Wars XXXIV

no kidding... how the heck did it get SOOOO off topic???

sorry...
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Sorry, but what is meant by cupping? Thanks.
Cupping is when the tread pattern around the edges ends up doing this sort of thing with each tread:
-_-_-_-_-
Makes for road noise...

To the rest of the folks in this thread:

I love getting in conversations with guys down here in Houston about going mudding and which trucks are best. Most of them are putting down a Miller or Bud and claiming their Ford, Chevy or GMC is the best. Some even claim a Dodge here and there. Then I speak up about my Toyota and none of them believe a word I say about it. The sad thing is, none of them have tried a Toyota because they don't have a big enough engine.

As for this tire war, I think it is hilarious that all of you are claiming the best, when hardly any of you have ever even tried the Yoko's. I aint blowing hot air here guys. Mine (just the AT) do not cake up due to a patented design. They have great stopping and cornering traction in the rain as well. Great tread life for an $80 tire and very good road handling. As for ALL Terrain, I think this tire figured it out.

I respect the Revo's and Dueler's and any MT's, but for my all purpose vehicle, this is the best all purpose tire I have ever seen in action.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
Also, don't think you can get a heavy MT or MT/R and NOT have them road-force balanced and be happy. Don't pay for a regular balance. You'll need to have them Road-Force balanced on a Hunter 9700 macnine. When you do that, it will cost about $80-$90 for the balance alone, but you'll only balance them once - ever. Mine have been balanced once and are still glass smooth - smoother than LSUMatt's new Michelins that he has on his 2WD. The RF Balance makes THAT much of a difference.
I get mine balanced "normally" with no problems, and I've gotta think our tires are pretty close in weight. I throw the weights pretty quickly though, so it's not worth paying the money for the road force balancing.

Quick Reply: Sometimes Revos and locking diff don't matter (pics)