Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sometimes Revos and locking diff don't matter (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, at least you tried...

next on that list would be an ARB bumper and a Warn M8000...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran BFG AT for DD and TruXus for mud and love them, and cheap to.

Several of my heep friends swear by the GY MTR. It's their only choice of tire.
MTRs are not a specific mud tire like the Swampers or boggers. Sometimes they are difficult to clean in heavy clay but so are my Truxus and my brother's BFG MT KO. IMHO they are the best overall tire like Bamachem stated.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 AM

blah, just when I was set on getting the revos.

So are these really that well in the rain/slush?? I herad they sucked in mud big time, just good for rocks.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AznSky
blah, just when I was set on getting the revos.

So are these really that well in the rain/slush?? I herad they sucked in mud big time, just good for rocks.
They are awesome in rain and snow and are quiet on the highway. They do kick up rocks however. Revos are quite popular, as you know, on yotatech.

My situation was unique in that the road isn't improved from the original cut and no one uses it (to pack it down). It has no gravel whatsoever. Soft mud on top, steep incline, with decaying leaves etc. We had trouble walking down to the truck to get it out (it was that slick).

I'd buy Revos again.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bennito
I 2nd the come along. You should be able to find them at any hardware store generally starting at 20$ (for a 2k lb) and heading up from there.
Can't you use a Hi-Lift as a comealong / handwinch (assuming you have towstraps and all that)?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
They are awesome in rain and snow and are quiet on the highway. They do kick up rocks however. Revos are quite popular, as you know, on yotatech.

I'd buy Revos again.
I love my Revo's, especially when it's wet outside...great on-road traction. But they do kick up rocks something fierce...whenever I would roll through mud and come out onto a road you'd hear pebbles and mud hitting the truck like machine gun fire for a good minute or two.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:37 AM

yeah, you can. but it takes a LONG time. If you use a strap, it takes even longer 'cuase you have to get the stretch out of the strap which leaves you with very little movement. also, as you hi-lift/winch it, as the highlift gets closer to the top, the angle on the lift arm gets worse in terms of the chain slipping off. You could put a little chain on the arm of the highlift so you can hook your next chain to that one...but whatever. Anyway, you can use a hilift. I have done it. It takes a long time with lots of re-sets but it can be done (and save you from a long walk) but when you get back, you'll start winch shopping after that.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem

One and ONLY ONE tire for my Runner... MT/R. Mud, Snow, Rain, Rocks, Ice, Dirt, Sand... whatever - they're the BEST all around tire that I've ever found for any serious offroading and still being a DD.
word.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

they are decent in mud - much better than any AT - good in sand, snow, water, rocks, etc. the only thing i've ever seen anyone say bad about them is when someone buys them to use as a MT. they're NOT a MT. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction / Reinforced, NOT Mud Terrain as in the Bridgestone MT's. They work good in mud, but they weren't made to be spectacular in it. they don't do as good as some super swampers or something, but they are very good all-around tires for maximum traction in a host of situations including on-road and in the rain. i've never hydroplaned at all with them and i've hit 2-3" deep standing water at 50+ MPH. they just plow right through the water. they've gotten out from under me only one time on wet pavement, but i was on the gas pretty hard in a turn and i have a SC under the hood and i was in 2WD instead of AWD. since then, if it's raining, i just put it in AWD since the SC likes to throw it's torque around...

i've had michelin LTXs, bridgestones, nittos, and a host of other tires over the years and these are the best on road and off when it comes to traction - bar none. they aren't quiet and don't belong on a grocery getter and they do eat a little more gas because of the weight and the D rating, but for traction in all-around stuff, you can't beat them.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

My Yokohama's would have had no problem with stuff like that... I have taken them through mud pits without getting stuck. They are also the best on road tire I have had. Excellent wet traction. My only complaint (and this is common) is some cupping if you don't rotate them often enough. But even with my cupped tires, I wouldn't want another tire.

I have too many good things to say about the tire, so search all my other postings about them.

The Yoko MT's look fun, but I like a little better street traction and longer tread life. From my experience I doubt I will be getting stuck any time soon.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:07 AM

If the road way slippery perhaps you would've been better off not using the locker?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
If the road way slippery perhaps you would've been better off not using the locker?
Good question - anyone have opinions? By the time I unlocked it, it was done. I might have stood a chance with a front locker (which is now on my list whether I need it or not )
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

lockers or not, you're not going anywhere if your tires can't get enough "gripshun"

with the rear locker disengaged, you would have spun 2 tires instead of 3. with a front locker, you might have been able to pull enough w/ the other front to get somewhere, but when the tires get caked and you can't clear them w/ wheel spin, then you're stuck no matter what.

in order of "use" in getting unstuck...

1. tires
2. rear locker
3. front locker
4. winch

by the time you get the front locker, you should also have the winch or ready to get one b/c if the front locker doesn't work then the winch will be required to get you unstuck...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-15-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well said Bamachen. I always learn so much from Yotatechers like you. I do, however, miss the picture of your rig in your signature Cute guy though. I've got a new six week old boy destined to like Toyotas.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Good question - anyone have opinions? By the time I unlocked it, it was done. I might have stood a chance with a front locker (which is now on my list whether I need it or not )

Well, if there was any sideslope to the road and your locked wheels spun on slick stuff, you'd have zero traction and gravity would take over, pulling that end of the car down the sidelope. That is kinda what looked liked happened in the photo. Alot of people say lockers aren't good on ice and in hardpacked snow for this reason; at least w/o lockers you'd have the non-spining wheel holding you down.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
Well, if there was any sideslope to the road and your locked wheels spun on slick stuff, you'd have zero traction and gravity would take over, pulling that end of the car down the sidelope. That is kinda what looked liked happened in the photo. Alot of people say lockers aren't good on ice and in hardpacked snow for this reason; at least w/o lockers you'd have the non-spining wheel holding you down.
EXACTLY what happened! :pat:
Old 03-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRunner
.... My only complaint (and this is common) is some cupping if you don't rotate them often enough...
Sorry, but what is meant by cupping? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:18 PM

they are decent in mud - much better than any AT - good in sand, snow, water, rocks, etc. the only thing i've ever seen anyone say bad about them is when someone buys them to use as a MT. they're NOT a MT. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction / Reinforced, NOT Mud Terrain as in the Bridgestone MT's. They work good in mud, but they weren't made to be spectacular in it. they don't do as good as some super swampers or something, but they are very good all-around tires for maximum traction in a host of situations including on-road and in the rain. i've never hydroplaned at all with them and i've hit 2-3" deep standing water at 50+ MPH. they just plow right through the water. they've gotten out from under me only one time on wet pavement, but i was on the gas pretty hard in a turn and i have a SC under the hood and i was in 2WD instead of AWD. since then, if it's raining, i just put it in AWD since the SC likes to throw it's torque around...

i've had michelin LTXs, bridgestones, nittos, and a host of other tires over the years and these are the best on road and off when it comes to traction - bar none. they aren't quiet and don't belong on a grocery getter and they do eat a little more gas because of the weight and the D rating, but for traction in all-around stuff, you can't beat them.
REVOs may be the best allterrain tire onroad and in wet weather, but the BFG A/T is the best allterrain offroad, hands-down.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emurunner
REVOs may be the best allterrain tire onroad and in wet weather, but the BFG A/T is the best allterrain offroad, hands-down.
maybe for an All-Terrain, but as far as traction on ANY surface goes for any single tire, the MT/R can't be beat...
Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

maybe for an All-Terrain, but as far as traction on ANY surface goes for any single tire, the MT/R can't be beat...
damn you Andy. That's it. I am over trying to decide about an extra set of M/Ts and rims. I am going to sell my brand new Revos and get the M/TRs based on all of the positive feedback on this tire. I have been skeptical about anything Goodyear, but I change tires like you, so...M/TRs he I come (kind of cheesy, sorry)

Revos are still a great tire, especially for the occasional wheeler

Quick Reply: Sometimes Revos and locking diff don't matter (pics)