Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

So, how fast is the supercharged 3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Biff
It means I did a couple of runs and those are the numbers that I got. I'll admit I'm not an expert, and I don't have any racing experience so I'm just going with the times I got.
Some questions:
  • Did you do this at a drag strip or on a (deserted) road?
  • You say that your times were estimated, but how were they taken? Was there a buddy with you with a stopwatch? Were you alone counting the colon blinking on the dash clock?
  • Are you sure about the measurement of the 1/4 mile? How did you measure? Off of the trip odo?
  • What city/state did you do this in? (it's an elevation question)
  • What size tires were you running at the time? i.e., stock rubber?
Thanks...
Old 01-08-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hijack number two...

I've ridden in Brian's 4Runner from hell, it is fast. Very fast. Still burning up those Pirelli's or are you laying waste to those BFG's now? House is done, you should come over some day and knock back a couple cold ones.

Back on topic, 11.5 quarter times with your setup is either a pipe dream or a calculation gone horrendously wrong. My dad and I have been bracket racing for over thirty years, a computer limited 4Runner ain't gonna get there. Listen to what these people are telling you, IT WON'T DO IT! 11.5 eighth mile times, yeah, I can buy that...

Mike
Old 01-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I ran 11.4 seconds in the quarter. I guess I could take you.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:53 PM

My actual real 1/4 mile data...

HI..

Here is my best 1/4 mile time & MPH. Note these runs were made using the stock injectors, fuel pump and SC pulley. The only real performance mods at the time were: Boost a pump, 6$ toilet parts cool air system.

Best ET = 15.022

Best MPH = 89.43

Also note: There is no way in hell to estimate a 1/4 mile ET or MPH on the street. I have tried to to it and have found my guess to be way off when compared to actual dragstrip testing. All of the run's posted on my site were run at US131 MOTORSPORT PARK in Michigan http://www.us131motorsportspark.com/

More details are posted on my webpage http://N8RWS.COM

PS... when I am not running my 4Runner I tinker around with this:
(10.01 @ 138MPH)

Old 01-08-2004, 06:04 PM

Biff-

I would love to believe the times and hp #'s you have given...but sorry, no way. Maybe you are confused between the crank and wheel ratings regarding the hp...as far as i know, you have a 4.7L with the blower, exhaust and a filter. The blower gives 353 to the crank, and with the addition of the exhaust and filter, 380 would be a pretty accurate crank rating...probably like 320 at the wheels...unless you have added Gadget's injector underdog kit?? or nitrous...regardles, you have a killer rig and one damn fast SUV...late.

Billy
Old 01-08-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by OpieJoe
Mike,

I fianlly burnt through the Pirelli's and am running the BFG's now and I have already put about 10k on them. I had to run back to Michigan for a couple of rotations and then over to USC for a month. I am taking my next set of boards on Tues. and Wed. of next week and then after that, I am going to have some more fun with the truck. I will contact you then.

Brian

P.S. for reference, my truck runs the eighth in 9.3 seconds at 75 mph. Hope it will be faster soon.
You got any pics of your rig?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:06 PM

Last I recall, it was a really nice sleeper, 'xcept for that blower whine.

Good luck on the stuff and junk Brian. If you do anything at UCLA, be sure to let me know, I know a couple of guys over there you need to meet.

Mike

Hijack done, complete, finito...

EDIT: Let me know next time you're heading out to SpeedWorld. I have a car I want to run out there...

Last edited by azrain; 01-08-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:35 PM

Hey, whatever drugs Biff is using, I want some...I bet my rig would run a 9.3 with a setup like that. Nah, just giving you shi*. I am sure that your rig is very fast as far as a 4RUNNER is concerned, but a 14 sec 1320 is probably about what you are running. Even though it appears that everyone is doubting you, we are all just truly trying to help. Don't take it too hard, just stating realistic facts. There's no haters on this board...just educators. Now, go get a true dyno and make a run at your local strip and post some time sheets. Peace.

Billy
Old 01-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Doesn't really matter. I know how fast I was going.
With a 0-60 run of 5.6 seconds you might squeeze out a high 13/low 14,to do an 11 you'd need a 0-60 time of about 3.8 secs which is what a new Viper runs.

The new Dodge SRT10 truck has 500 crankhorse and in perfect conditions can hit about a 13 flat so that could be a reference.

So while you might know how fast you were going I don't see how you can determine a true 1/4 mile;do you have a strip by you cause I'm a regular at the strip and I hear the predictions all the time from track noobs and most aren't even close.

Even if you just ran a low 14 that is still impressive but if you think you have an 11 then you must be high on an exhaust leak.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, I give up.

My eyes must have been playing a trick on me, and I didn't see the numbers that I thought I saw.

I would love to compare my V8 S/C runner times with another members V8 S/C runner times (oh ya nobody else has one) just kidding.

I'll go out again and give another test run.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

You need a real dragstrip but I'm guessing you should still hit a solid 13 easily if you got near 450 crankhorse,maybe a low 13 since 380whp is alot but you do need to remember you weigh over 4000lbs. A Viper is around 3200lbs with over 400whp and has hit a high 11 in one of the more recent issues of MotorTrend.

Maybe try some naaaawwws.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:36 AM

Biff

Hey Biff,

Don't be discouraged with all of the posts here, no reason to give up. We are just trying to keep everyone informed and educated about what to expect out of a supercharged 4Runner or what ever else they want to drive.

I am sure that your truck really does haul some a$$ and I would really like to see a supercharged V8 Runner sometime. I may be in the market for a 4th Gen in about a year or two, so I am very interested in seeing what one can do.

To make a long post short, this is probably the nicest board to post on. We are all here to help each other out and we have all learned a lot off of this board at some point in time.

Brian
Old 01-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

I thought this thread was about the 3.4L anyway and we still haven't had an answer. If my Runner was charged I would have already ran it. My guess on the 3.4 charged should be close to a mid 15 at sea level with just the basic bolt-on setup.

I'd like to get a couple of local guys to run the Truckfest at Bandimere (local drag strip) here in Denver this summer with me.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I thought this thread was about the 3.4L anyway and we still haven't had an answer. If my Runner was charged I would have already ran it. My guess on the 3.4 charged should be close to a mid 15 at sea level with just the basic bolt-on setup.

I'd like to get a couple of local guys to run the Truckfest at Bandimere (local drag strip) here in Denver this summer with me.
I'm curious too since I have the straight bolt-on w/no mods. Maybe we can do the 1/4 mile at Bandimere during the summer if I'm not travelling for work and moving then.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Biff

Originally posted by OpieJoe
Hey Biff,

Don't be discouraged with all of the posts here, no reason to give up. We are just trying to keep everyone informed and educated about what to expect out of a supercharged 4Runner or what ever else they want to drive.

I am sure that your truck really does haul some a$$ and I would really like to see a supercharged V8 Runner sometime. I may be in the market for a 4th Gen in about a year or two, so I am very interested in seeing what one can do.

To make a long post short, this is probably the nicest board to post on. We are all here to help each other out and we have all learned a lot off of this board at some point in time.

Brian

I'm hardly discouraged, actually I'm more encourage now than I was before to keep working on my runner.

I have a great deal of respect for the members on this board, and what I can learn from their experiences. This joint is one of the main reasons why I've spent a ton cash on my rig.

If I can't do a little bragging here than its no fun working on my rig and since no one believes me I am going out again this weekend and doing a couple of runs, just to triple check the times I'm giving.

Last edited by Biff; 01-09-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Biff

I going out again this weekend and doing a couple of more runs, just to triple check the times I'm giving.
What are you using to measure a 1/4 mile and time? See if anybody you know has a G*Tech meter or similar device. Stopwatch and your odometer can't give even close to accurate results.

C'mon,do you really think you could run with a Viper cause the examples I gave also include the laws of physics? Weight vs HP plus your estimate of a 0-60 time of 5.6 = a high 13. You still may have one of the quickest Runners on the board anyway.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 PM

Re: Re: Biff

...I am going out again this weekend and doing a couple of runs, just to triple check the times I'm giving.
Okay, but please read between the lines of the key questions I asked above, and bring us back details:
  • Did you do this at a drag strip or on a (deserted) road?
  • You say that your times were estimated, but how were they taken? Was there a buddy with you with a stopwatch? Were you alone counting the colon blinking on the dash clock?
  • Are you sure about the measurement of the 1/4 mile? How did you measure? Off of the trip odo?
Thanks...
Old 01-09-2004, 07:53 PM

I may come across as an ignorant pos, but I have a pretty good grasp on what is possible with Biff's ride...a 1320 in the 13's would be very very respectable and amazing too. I think he just needs a good direction on how to realistically calculate his times...his intent is correct, yet his way of analysis isn't. Hang in there Biff, we're just trying to help.

Billy
Old 01-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by fourunnabilly
I think he just needs a good direction on how to realistically calculate his times...his intent is correct, yet his way of analysis isn't. Hang in there Biff, we're just trying to help.
I agree... And double agree that we're just trying to help.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fourunnabilly
I may come across as an ignorant pos, but I have a pretty good grasp on what is possible with Biff's ride...a 1320 in the 13's would be very very respectable and amazing too. I think he just needs a good direction on how to realistically calculate his times...his intent is correct, yet his way of analysis isn't. Hang in there Biff, we're just trying to help.

Billy

I know you are.

and to answer the questions

Deserted Road

Buddy with me

Measured off the trip odo

Quick Reply: So, how fast is the supercharged 3.4?