Slotted discs on 2nd gen?

Anyone replace their front disc brakes with slotted discs to get
rid of the warping problems. I replaced mine a while back...they
are already warped again!

Wily
Old 02-03-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not yet

When mine go, I'm going for the NWOR crossdrilled rotors. The warping is a big problem with us 2nd Gens.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Another often overlooked item is the rear brake proportioning valve.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/joey_downey/5.jpg

If not adjusted right, or left off during a rear aftermarket coil installation, you are putting more of a workload on the front brakes which can overheat them and cook the rotors.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the Powerslot rotors last weekend. I ordered them from performance parts. You should also get the performance friction pads too.

The braking seems much better but then again my brakes really blew before hand.

I had 176,000 on my orginal rotors without warping. I tend to downshift a lot which takes the load off my brakes. Eitherway I'm very pleased to have all that braking power there in case I need it.

Last edited by Travis; 02-04-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:15 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I haven't had a problem with mine yet, but I also have a Suburban, and the brakes they put on those things SUCK!
I bought some awesome rotors from www.praisedynobrake.com They are Cryogenically Treated or Pressurized Thermo Cooled. Go to the web site and click on Cryongenics. It explains the process. Anyway they're slotted therefore you can still turn them if needed unlike the cross drilled. I'm not sure if they make them for the 4runner, but you can check the site or call them. I use to turn my rotors on the suburban every three to four months. It's been over a year now, and I haven't had to turn these. Good Luck with your decision.

Jeremy
Old 02-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

correction... you can't turn slotted rotors either... I love mine. Another wroute would be to make a brake cooling kit. Just a little something that would help them breathe a little better. My old car warped rotors like it was its job (volvo) and my mechanic and I were working on a cooling kit, but it was FWD so it was too tight in there and we gave up. Maybe there is a little more space in the Runners... Just a thought...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:53 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 4Runners tend use the front brakes more than typical. While the front brakes are designed to take more of the load due to physics, I've found that they take a little too much energy from the rear brakes.

I just installed the downey coils and I moved the rear load sensor to a new setting. This seems to have balanced the front/rear distribution much better.

Be careful though, just like on a motorcycle, the front brake is supposed to do the lion's share of the work. Don't adjust the brakes so that the rear locks before the front, you could find your self in an accident if you had to brake really hard in a curve.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:45 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Originally posted by turboale
correction... you can't turn slotted rotors either... I love mine.
That's funny...Then I need to have a word with the High Performance Rotary shop I took my 94 RX-7. I soley bought the slotted rotors for the turning capablility(so I was told), because I was pretty hard on them. The only ill effect from turning them twice (while I had them) was the slots got more shallow, probably not cooling or cleaning the pads as much. The shop I took them to never advised me agaist this either. Are you sure you can't turn them? I have heard that you can crack a cross drilled rotor if you have them turned. Something to do with all the holes in it, but I've never heard that about slotted until now.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:35 PM

Just wanted to add some input:

When I bought my 4Runner, the only problem I could find was that the rotors were warped. The dealer had replaced pads, but they were either too dumb, or too cheap to put money into replacing rotors. (GM Dealership, so probably both!) I was able to talk them down a good bit in price, knowing that it would only cost about $200 to do all of the work myself.

I finall got around to replacing the front rotors last weekend, and I replaced the pads, and driver side CV halfshaft at the same time.

I went with Brembo rotors, and Performance Friction pads.

The Brembo rotors seem to be very high quality, and only run about $50-55 per rotor. They are not easy to find. Baker Imported Auto Parts in Atlanta, GA has them in stock.

Baker Imported

The Performance Friction pads can be found at AutoZone, and carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty. I had to tell them that I had a 95 4WD Pickup, because of the TRD issue. $39.99

I have only had them on for about 50 miles, but my initial impression is very good. Much more responsive, and no pulsing obviously.

I am working on a website, and I will put install info and reviews on it soon.

Reminder: It is a good time to do any CV work while you have the front end disassembled and on jackstands.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Del

Another often overlooked item is the rear brake proportioning valve.
If not adjusted right, or left off during a rear aftermarket coil installation, you are putting more of a workload on the front brakes which can overheat them and cook the rotors.
I'm planning on getting Downey coils for the rear and was wondering just where I should position the proportioning valve.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:43 AM
CTB

In the middle holes of the bracket that is supplied with the kit.