Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Silver_truck's top head rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I will be getting my injectors back from Cruizin Performance on wednesday coming up.

I had 258,000 and my injectors were in EXCELLENT condition - the least flowing one did 97mL on the 100mL static flow test. All improved or stayed the same post cleaning, and when I asked him about it he said that was common for the 3vze injectors to be in excellent condition!

I was happy that 3 of my 6 injectors were at 100mL at the same time and the other three were at 99mL each post cleaning!
Have you run Seafoam or BG at sometime before?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K...sorry for the long break, I didn't get the motor back together for last weekend so ended up having to take my dads car to spokane...well I got stuck there because of snow (snow+UHP summer tires=no traction) so anyways truck is back together now, what a PITA total reassembly time ran about 25 hours including about 12-13 for just the headers...I know I wasn't going to put them in but dad came up with some NWOR headers (damn nice pieces of work but the price has gone up to $1k for the headers and crossover) woulda been nice to have them before the heads went back on but doesn't matter because they're on and they sound damn nice . Anyways here pics of the Tb and heads etc. before and during the reassably (check out the diff in the cold start injector before and after) theres also pics of the toll I made up to break loose the cam gear bolts. Will go snap some more pics today of the finished product. Feel free to ask any questions about the reassembly etc. I know this write up isn't very long or specific.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

nice... you will like the power that the headers will give you
Old 04-01-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Have you run Seafoam or BG at sometime before?
nope never. Used a lot of cheverone techron and lots and lots of pour in injector cleaner over the years...lol

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
***Forgot to mention i got my injectors back today...2 of them failed the leak test and spray pattern test before cleaning, the other 4 were fair...and they flowed anywhere from 40-45 ml...after cleaning all passed and had good spray patterns and flowed 46 ml across the board...the guy said that he hadn't seen injectors that were in worse shape they had to replace every seal, the piquet cones or somethin like that, the end caps, the electrical contacts...pretty much everything. Ended up having to pay $160...the guy ended up quoting me the wrong price so it was $25 a piece rather then $13
HOLY CRAP!! I didnt see this post, who cleaned your injectors?

NIIIICE work on the engine rebuild - looks awsome!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

I got them cleaned here in town, Evergreen Automotive, the guy said its one of 2 places in NW Washington that has the ultrasonic cleaning equipment and the flow testing stuff, I don't remember the name of the other. The guy said they were the worst he'd seen, but he also didn't realize there was 400,000 mi on them. I've run seafoam through it a couple of times and Redline fuel system cleaner but they were wtill pretty crappy. Here's pics of the finished truck, I've put about 100 mi on it since the rebuild and just changed the oil tonite to flush out the crap, will be changing it again in about 4-500 mi along with flushing the coolant to make sure that everything is clean. Had to retime it today it was about 5* off but after that it seems to be runnin pretty good, haven't really pushed it yet but seems to have more power and sounds more bad ass now too. Just clicks a bunch but its starting to get quieter so no big deal, anyone have an idea on what it might be?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Just postin a quick update...up to around 200 mi now and the power seems to be growing with each drive, the majority of the buzzes and rattles etc. are gone now except for one coming from the left bank or header its getting quieter everytime the engine runs though so I'm just thinkin its some crap that needs to get burnt. Fuel economy seems to be going up quite a bit...with a 16 gal fill up I've gotten a little over 70 mi to the first 1/3 of the tank. Been driving a little conservatively though, keeping the revs below 3k etc. to get everything broken in nicely and not put too much stress on it with the crappy coolant and oil thats in there. Also Anyone have any ideas as to why my truck won't warm up all the way now? It'll go about a third of the way up then as soon as I turn the heater on it drains it back down to right near cold? Thermostat issues or could it be my guage? Will post pics when I get my new gauges in to replace my oil pressure (gauge shorted out when the sender did) and water temp (nice to have soemthin a little more accurate.) thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 04:35 PM

You beat me

Looks good. Ok the million dollar question...Are you happy with the rebuild? Would you do it again or engine swap? Just curious as I'm coming to a close on mine. If you don't mind, it looks the Headers got scuffed going in. Is this so and if so, any words of advice before I do mine?

Thanks
-=Morphine=-
Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, so far I'm pretty happy with it...will know for sure once its all broken in and I can drive like normal but I'm pretty sure I will be. I personally would do it again, if anything diff I'd get new cams but I'm a fan of the 3.0 v6...maybe because no one else is so I'd do it again. Ya the headers got scufffed a little going in but moreso from scraping on the ground trying to get them in place to get it. I don't know about the Downeys but I found it much easier to put the drivers side in from the bottom and the passenger from the top. If you can I'd highly recomend putting them in then putting the heads on the motor alot more room to maneuver them around... Good luck let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you feel like the low-end torque is any different, good or bad? Also, early on you mentioned something about the machinist not putting the head back together right and not machining the valve seat right. What was the deal with that? And who adjusted the valves?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:55 PM

THis post is way off topic but I just wanted to pipe in because I love seing two people from Bham Washington on here, Silveryota and Yamaha dude. Ill be moving back home(bham) in about 6 months. What schools do yall go to? Might be hitting you guys up later on down the road for some help and some wheelin! Sorry to jack the thread guys.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Low end torque seems to be up a bit but the big jump in power is rom 2500 up (haven't had it above about 3200 yet) but I'm sure there's even more right around 4000. The problem with the machine shop is that when they put the cams back in they stripped 2 of the bolt holes (the front 2) in the right head, after a few hours and 3 helicoil install tools I finally got them helicoiled. The major other problem I mentioned was in regard to the heads that are being put on the 4runner thats being rebuilt in the garage also, they put the heads together backward (right head on left side, left head on right side, distributor was in the right head and just a bunch of other crap) they came off flebay from some ghetto shop in wenatchee and we ended up having to dump like $300 just to get them in working order. The heads on my truck (done at Piston Services) were perfect except for the stripped holes, they adjusted the valves there.
Sbrut95: Hey I go to Squalicum high, by the time your back I'll be a senior...Austin and I wheel together a bit so definately hit me up when you get into town for any help and we can take you out and wheel a bit...welcome back to b'ham